New Series - Dark - on Netflix

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by dgstrat, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Haha! Yeah, the wife and I dropped it after watching 3 episodes. I just couldn't stand it.

Now when I propose a new show she says, beforehand, "Oh no, it's not another The Dark is it?"

I think The Handmaid's Tale really set the bar high, which is what we had just finished before watching The Dark.

LilacTeardrop likes this.
  2. Etienne Hanratty

Etienne Hanratty Forum Resident

i’ve just sat down to watch the second se(ason)/(ries) of this but, in spite of having recounted what I considered to be the major elements of the plot to the first se(ason)/(ries) to my wife, I find myself watching the recap and seeing characters about whom I have no recollection and plot strands I don’t remember seeing. For most programmes, I’d assume I’d failed to assimilate memories because I was too busy reading my phone but I absolutely loved Dark and I’m sure I retained my focus throughout. Also, it aired during Dry January which I observed better than I did Veganuary, so I can’t blame it on extracurricular indulgences.

My question is this: 18 months after a programme has aired, would you expect to remember all of the plot details or would you need to rewatch the entire first series? On one level, this wouldn’t be a loss because it’s such a good programme but, on the other, I’m wondering if there’s something wrong with me that I’m considering doing so in this era of box set viewing and increasing intervals between se(ason)/(ries).

subzro likes this.
  3. subzro

subzro Forum Resident

Glad to see someone else watching Dark! I am looking forward to seeing season 2. I saw season 1 twice when it was new, but my wife and I are currently re-watching again. We are about to start episode 8 tonight. I'm glad we did, because although I understand the story well, there are so many intricate details that having them fresh in my mind will help a lot going forward.

I wish more people were into it, IMO it's by far the best Netflix original. One of the best shows I've ever seen.

SRC, Walt and Etienne Hanratty like this.
  4. Etienne Hanratty

Agree. It’s my favourite Netflix original, too, but I’ve decided that I’m going to have to revisit the first series before I watch the latest episodes-far too many plot details I wouldn’t want to have overlooked.

SRC and subzro like this.
  5. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

It's not just you. I forget details pretty quickly and for complex shows like "Dark" that's definitely a problem for me. It might be the best approach to re-watch the first season in this case, but how often can one do that. It sure takes up a lot of time. Often I just re-watch the last episode of the last season. I'm also happy that offering re-caps has become pretty much the norm.

6. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

I really liked the show and although I'm somewhat fluent in German, my wife is not. The pace of the show was helpful for her to follow the subtitles and I think she liked it even more than I did!

Anyway, we have a thread on the show that actually gained a little traction during Season 1:
    New Series - Dark - on Netflix

7. jbmcb

jbmcb Forum Resident

It's an interesting show, but the writers and/or director did a terrible job at helping the audience keep track of characters. When you have a big ensemble cast like that, a good director will have their characters always wear a certain color, or have a unique hat or hairstyle, to help audiences keep track of who is who, even if it's practically subliminal.

It violates some other rules of storytelling (the viewer jumps between character-viewpoint and god-viewpoint soley to build tension, which is a cheap trick) but it is an otherwise really enjoyable show.

8. Etienne Hanratty

I binge watched the first five episodes of the first series last night and I’m glad I did. There were so many characters and relationships between characters that I’d forgotten that I’d have been unable to make sense of the second run if I hadn’t. That said, I am chomping at the bit to get to the new episodes: I’d forgotten just how compelling this was.

GentleSenator likes this.
  9. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Yeah, watched the season 1 summary, then plowed into the first episode of season 2. Big mistake. We're going to go back and watch season 1 all over again before continuing. Looking forward to it, though. Really like the show.

Etienne Hanratty likes this.
  10. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

11. Martinn

Martinn Forum Resident

Loved Season 1. Now I can't start Season 2 until I get all the character connections in order...

12. Etienne Hanratty

As someone who’s learned from experience: don’t use the Wikipedia page for a recap unless you like spoilers.

LilacTeardrop and Martinn like this.
  13. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Season 2 is off to a good start. I, too, am having a devil of a time keeping track of characters and their relationships to each other. A few are starting to gel for me.

14. mynameistaken

mynameistaken Forum Resident

Finished season 2 today without realizing it. I completely forgot there were only 8 episodes. I was excited to watch episode 9, only to be reminded I just watched the finale. Really enjoyed the second season. From what I’ve read season 3 will be that last. Can’t wait!

15. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Without any spoilers, please, I'm assuming that season 2 doesn't completely explain everything?

16. mynameistaken

mynameistaken Forum Resident

Things do become more clear, but there are certainly several questions left to answer.

Bachtoven likes this.
  17. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

I have been loving this show. I just love its melancholy mood and mysteries, even if they can't all be explained. The show is absolutely humorless, and I suppose I need that sometimes.

I did have to brush up on season one's characters and events before going back in. I'm sure there's stuff I'm still missing and forgetting, but I'm just enjoying the ride and being drawn in.

friend74 likes this.
  18. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

We have a couple eps left on our season 1 re-watch. This is a really good show. I'm enjoying it more this time around because I'm more familiar with the characters. The reveals aren't as "whaaaaat?!" as they were when new, but everything is fitting together better.

Should be on season 2 this weekend. Can't wait!

SRC likes this.
  19. wolfram

I just started re-watching S1 again as well. I'm glad I did, because I think I've forgotten almost anything that happened.

20. wolfram

I finished S2 last night and I liked it a lot. This is a really great show, though it demands a lot of attention with all these characters and connections. But I would have been totally lost if I hadn't watched S1 directly before it. I'll probably watch S1&2 again when S3 comes out (and I can't wait for that, because the ending of S2 leaves you wanting more and soon).

I'm also impressed how well the different actors for the characters at different ages are chosen. A great cast all around.

Yes, it really is. I don't think there was one funny moment in both seasons. Remarkable.

GentleSenator and SRC like this.
  21. Etienne Hanratty

Finished watching seasons 1 and 2 back to back, deliberately trying to limit myself to one episode a night to make it last longer, and I’m really wishing I could go back and watch it again for the first time.
    Season 2 was probably harder to follow for me because they needed to set up more than one chain of events but I trust the writers will ensure that the whole thing will make sense.

There’s just two things I don’t think will ever make sense
    When Adam explained to young Jonas why he’d worked to set up a world without time and then explained how to undo it all, how come young Jonas didn’t suspect an ulterior motive?
    and
    why did young Jonas conclude that preventing Michael’s suicide would prevent subsequent events unfolding. I don’t see how it had any direct influence on Mikkel’s disappearance. Surely, the thing to do would be to stop that red-headed lad being kidnapped so Mikkel wouldn’t have to follow Magnus to pick up the weed.

Another sought odd thing is how some characters looked incredibly similar to their future selves but others lime Helge and Katharina bore almost no resemblance.

When I watched S1 for the first time it was, like the OA, a substitute for Stranger Things. Last night, I caught the first episode of the third series of Stranger Things and I found myself pining for Dark. I have reached an agreement with myself not to think about s2 of the OA.

22. Reamonnt

Reamonnt Mr.T

I enjoyed this series in German with English subs the default was a dubbed version which luckily can be changed in Netflix settings. Its a complex timeline with multiple characters which is difficult to get into but then when you tune in its well done. Im looking forward to the third season.

SRC likes this.
  23. friend74

friend74 Forum Resident

Just started Season 2. Took some time till you get back into the characters. so far i've seen 3 episodes and was thinking like 'now its gettin complicated. this is not back to the future'. however the mood is quite depressing again but nonetheless the best german tv series to date (for me).

wolfram likes this.
  24. Crabcakez

Crabcakez Well-Known Member

This series was outstanding imo.

I watched the first 2 episodes and stopped because the english dubbing turned me off. A co-worker re-recommended it later saying "make it to episode 4" - I'm so glad I did. Definitely on my top 10 list.

wolfram likes this.
  25. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

I've seen the first two episodes, and was not thinking of continuing. It just seems to be full of uninteresting characters and stereotypical "creepy" moments. However, based upon your post, I might try to make it through the 4th episode.

I never use dubbing. The original language is always best.