Pink Floyd Discovery Box is here...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by TONEPUB, Sep 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

You are very correct here, I suppose The Beatles remasters-campaign really raised the line and people anticipations concerning any other remaster-projects.
    Only judging by the videos, I have to say it seems to be a miss for the booklets as they could and should come up with much better. Note, I havent seen any of the booklets "in real life" so...

Maybe they will come up with fresh notes, lots of pictures and trivia on the next remastering campaign named "Absorb"...??? Somewhere in the future:laugh:

2. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway Curated Iconic Half-Speed Picture Disc

3. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

No problems:righton:
    I found it from some Amazon review and comments, would have wished it was a bit longer since the video only showed DSOTM.
    I suppose there will be more videos of single albums later when all the people in US got hold of them.

4. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

Thanks, looking forward to picking it up tonight!

5. stricee

stricee Forum Resident

target is best place for the single discs by far 10 bucks each buy 2 get 5 bucks gift card...the wall=15 bucks

6. csqmnem89

csqmnem89 Forum Resident

Pre-ordered mine in may and amazon status states "shipping shortly" today.
    I cant wait to finally check this out.

7. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Yeah, I stopped by this morning to check it out but was disappointed in the very limited selection of titles... nothing at all earlier than DSOTM. I'm more of a fan of early Floyd than late, so I passed, but I might still go pick up Animals and something else, but I don't really like half of these (Wall, Division, Momentary Lapse), and I plan to get the SACD of WYWH anyway.

IIRC, they had in stock:

DSOTM
    WYWH
    Division Bell
    Momentary Lapse
    The Wall
    Animals

A little disappointing that they'd stock every single Beatles title, but only half the latter half of the Floyd catalog. Oh well...

8. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

My local Target barely even has a music department. No Beatle CDs. Just a small selection of new releases and a $5/$7 shelf of garbage. Looks like I'm S.O.L. in my quest for Atom Heart Mother on the cheap.

9. liv3evil

liv3evil Forum Resident

FYI - Newbury Comics has all discs for $9.99 ($15.99 for The Wall / Ummagumma) and the Discovery set for $179.99. Number of Floyd CD's I owned starting today: 0. Number I own now: 16! \../

10. yellowballoon

yellowballoon Senior Member

Best Buy has the albums for $9.99 too.

11. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Oh, okay, I'll hit them up then. Thanks for the tip. :thumbsup:

12. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

True, and that's likely where I'll wind up going, but they aren't offering a $5 gift card for every two you buy like Target is.

13. Masza

Masza Forum Resident

I listened DSOTM couple of hours ago. A lot better than the Guthrie remaster from 2003 (The CD layer of SACD), the sound stage is much more open. A little louder than The Wall but still quite good in that area.

Now I'm listening A Saucerful of Secrets and this sounds a little too loud. For example some parts of the Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun sound "overdrived" (you know how the dynamic parts sound when they go enough under -9dB in VU meter). Some of the guitars sound also a little bit harsh.

I have to admit that I have never heard this album completely. Could someone tell how the earlier versions sounded? I can also here some crackles, sounds like they are in the master tape that is used

TT-DR Offline 1.1 tells:
    Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun DR 9
    peaks: over/over
    Corporal Clegg DR 9
    peaks: -0,21/over

and these two tracks look like this: http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/4434/asaucerfulofsecretsn.jpg

14. stricee

stricee Forum Resident

no early cds at target....momentary lapse of reason or meddle nowhere to be found in detroit area at best buy or target

15. stricee

stricee Forum Resident

target has wywh,dsotm,division bell,the wall,animals thats it nothing else

16. emkay

emkay Senior Member

Picked up the box this morning and THEN took my percoset (recovering from wisdom teeth) and just started playing these from the top a little while ago.

Piper is going while I cook macaroni... I can't offer anything TOO specific in my minor haze but Piper is sounding pretty good to me so far. Dynamic, clean and balanced to my ears.

I really think these guys are missing a huge opportunity by not offering a VINYL Discovery Box set. This is a very attractive package with some incredible music. I have to believe that would make a very nice set that would sell pretty well. It would have been especially nice using original labels, etc.

I'll comment on some of the other early albums as they come up... I'm curious to see how saucerful turned out and I know others are too.

17. Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP Forum Curmudgeon

Almost correct. A Momentary Lapse of Reason was a new remaster for the ObtW box. I believe it's the only one. The other 80's era EMI masters in that box besides Animals were Saucerful, Meddle, and WYWH.

Note that the WYWH 80's EMI master is different from the 80's Columbia/Sony master (and also different than the legendary "two-track" Sony master). Also, it's the later EMI master created in the UK, not the original "blackface" Japan-for-UK master which Toshiba created.

18. Billy Infinity

Billy Infinity Beloved aunt

Ah! You're absolutely right, I stand corrected. :)

19. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Was it ever confirmed anywhere, why did they decide to use such different masterings/pressings for Oh By The Way? Real patchwork:realmad:
    Or did they just want to part ways with all the past versions? :D

20. andy75

andy75 Forum Resident

Saw the Discovery box and all the individual CDs in my local store today, and wanted them all. Left the store empty handed since I'm sceptical about modern CD remastering in general. I thought it would be best to ask here first! I have the 1994 remasters of 11 of the 14 included in the box... I would love to hear some opinons about the remastering of "Momentary Lapse Of Reason" & "The Division Bell"... I'm a sucker for the Guilmour discs :)

21. Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP Forum Curmudgeon

They just used whatever was currently in production for the EU market. For some unknown reason, the Sax remasters of ASoS, Meddle, WYWH, and Animals never got single disc releases in the EU (although the packaging often mistakenly said they were). And the 2003 Guthrie remaster of DSotM became the standard issue CD there, while it was only ever on the SACD here in the states. Go figure.

At the time of the release of the OBtW box, only half the discs in it were common to both markets. For the EU, the box was really nothing new, other than AMLoR. For the states, the older 80's EMI masters were "new to us", but still not new in the genuine sense of the word. The 2007 Piper was new, but was available separately in both markets before the release of the box. The 2004 Guthrie Final Cut disc (awful) was also common to both markets, as were four of the Sax remasters in the box (More, Umma, AHM, OBC). The Wall is the EU version of the Sax remaster, which is EQed differently than the Shine On/Columbia/Capitol releases.

22. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

This seems consistent with Tonepub's experience but I did note that each disc said it was remastered in 2011 at James Guthrie's das boot studio.

23. LarryT

LarryT Forum Resident

Nov 7 for WYWH .... pre-order info is here.

:cheers:

24. KBanya

KBanya Active Member

I love the two titles you mention, and just picked them up this morning. I played the DB disc and so far the remastering is barely noticeable to my ears. Like so many CD's these days...it is clearly louder...not distorted at all, just louder. I challenge you to detect differences between this and your current version. I can hardly tell it's been remastered.

25. Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP Forum Curmudgeon

My comments were in reference to the Oh By The Way box, not the Discovery Box. The Discovery box is all new 2011 masters. Whether or not they sound markedly different than previous releases is another matter entirely.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.