Pink Floyd Discovery Box is here...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by TONEPUB, Sep 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

It's just his style of speaking.

2. Marvin

Marvin Senior Member

Don't forget to report that on your tax return next year.

3. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Geeze... a simple type-o and everyone jumps down yer throat! :wave:

4. Billy Infinity

Billy Infinity Beloved aunt

Rerax, everyone! ;)

5. Doug Schiller

Doug Schiller Senior Member

I highly disagree.

Mike, I would weigh everyone's opinion before taking this advice.

I have heard 5 of the remasters and doing a quick summary, I would say...

Animals - an amazing improvement over my original CBS CD.
    The Wall - again, sounds much more alive then my MOFI Gold and original CBS.
    WYWH - no opinion yet, sounds good but haven't compared.
    DSOTM - No difference to me.
    The Final Cut - No difference compared to the last remaster.

To be fair, I don't think I have heard the Sax version but from what I have ben reading here, the new one is preferred.

6. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

He remasters CD's.

7. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Scooby Doo? Astro? :laugh:

Billy Infinity likes this.
  8. Does anybody know whether the 2011 Atom Heart Mother Suite has the sections separated as individual indexed tracks? I keep hoping somebody will do this (other than me and Audacity :D).

9. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Hell to the no.

10. Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP Forum Curmudgeon

Meddle in depth

Okay, I'm back with more. I had a chance to compare "Echoes" just now. I have to say, the Sax wins again. For the most part, they sound close to identical, but the 2011 has boomier, less defined bass. Also, I think the drum hits sound a little cleaner on the Sax. Not a big difference though, they both sound very good.

"Fearless" had a slightly more pronounced difference. It seems to my ear that the 2011 disc version had some noise reduction applied to it. Actually, I'm sure both releases must have, but it sounds like it was more aggressive on the new disc. The Sax remaster has much more "air" in it on this track (sorry, can't really describe it any better than that), and it sounds more like live music, whereas the 2011 disc sounds more like a recording.

Again, the differences are subtle. What I'm describing (even in the quoted section above) are nuances. Unlike Animals, these discs are very close in sound, but I had to give the win to the Sax remaster on every track, even if only by a hair.

Bottom line: Owners of the Sax have no reason to upgrade. Owners of the Discovery box have no real compelling reason to track down a Sax, unless you're the type who must have the very best recording of any album, regardless of how minor the differences may be. Sorry, I do not own the 80's EMI mastering from ObtW.

Tonight: The Division Bell (vs Columbia)

Coming soon: Obscured By Clouds (vs Sax)

Billy Infinity likes this.
  11. mrbillswildride

mrbillswildride Internet Asylum Escapee 2010, 2012, 2014

A we are very clever as well, art wee snot?

:laugh:

I only picked up the two-Cd DSOTM version to hear the live, 1974 tour version of it. Very much looking forward to it, and the WYWH Experience set.

"The lunatics are on the path..." :sigh:

cheers,

12. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

O-ray?

Attached Files:

13. Thanks for the comparison Lyle :righton:
    Bummer...

14. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway Curated Iconic Half-Speed Punk

My Shine On is an EU market one, but they have made in USA codes on the matrices, but the matrices don't match any on the PF archive site, so I too have NO idea what they are! All I know is the Saucerful in it sounds much better than the NRd one I bought new, in a Sax packaging, and the Meddle sounds better than the Sax one bought new which is actually the same as my old CDP 80s CD, what a pickle. I wonder if I could get EMI to send me a free box set in return for apparently mis-selling old Floyd masters as remasters? Isn't that against some trade law?

15. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

And sells shoes in the evenings. Don't even ask about the line of vacuum cleaners he sells on weekends!! :)

16. jblock

jblock Senior Member

Anyone download one of the Floyd remasters from iTunes? Curious as to what the iTunes LP gets you.

17. jonboy71

jonboy71 Forum Resident

So Animals in the US Shine On box is the Sax remaster? I guess my question is, should I spend $200 on 2011 remasters if they are only marginally better or on par with the Shine On Box. I believe that most agree the DS remasters are the best prior to the 2011 remasters right? So if I have the US Shine On Box, which individual cd's would you recommend I pick up?

18. stricee

stricee Forum Resident

all in all i was expecting better of the new remasters...and i think a few people here feel the same way...feel free to correct me if im wrong...just not much improvement if any at all..from meddle on

19. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

The ones not included in the Shine On box...seriously.

20. Runt

Runt Senior Member

jonboy71, we've been trying to figure that out for the last 33 pages...

:winkgrin:

21. jonboy71

jonboy71 Forum Resident

Well what I meant is, are there any cd's in the box set where there is a superior sonic improvement on any of the subsequent remasters?

22. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I would have already picked them up (remastered issued CDs from early 90s). And they are the ones not in the Shine On box. Piper, & Ummagumma, for starters.

And no, you do not need the new box set. People it seems are hard pressed to find real improvements in this new set. The Discovery Box is for those that need to discover the band on CD for the first time. Or folks who have only worn out LPs or cassetttes, or a small batch of those early horrid DSOTM and WYWH, or Animals discs.

23. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Which "early horrid DSOTM and WYWH" discs are you referring to?

24. jonboy71

jonboy71 Forum Resident

Thanks for answering my leading question. Well prior to getting on these forums, I just assumed that the newer the remaster, the better the quality and never did any side by side comparisons. I have the Shine On set, but used the newer remasters to take their place. So I'm glad I kept it, as I fully intend on going back to those. Is there anything in OBTW that's better than the discs in Shine On? I have that box too, but never used any of those discs. Primarily bought it for my collection.

25. jonboy71

jonboy71 Forum Resident

LOL...I'll be happy with getting this Animals thing sorted out. Do I have the Doug Sax remaster of Animals if I have the US Shine On box?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.