Queen "A night at the opera" poll

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sear, Dec 16, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redfloatboat

redfloatboat Forum Resident

Their first 4 albums were all really, really good, imo. All 4 records had some really great highlights and surprizes at the time, they were pushing the envelope. It was exciting in those days listening to the band. I was disappointed in A Day at the Races though, my first Queen disappointment!

Queen II is my favourite, but the production on it is terrible.

ChoonyFish and Duncan Day like this.
  2. Duncan Day

Duncan Day Middle Aged Savage

I’m not sure if it’s the production or the mix. There’s so much going on and I believe it was only recorded on 8 track so a lot of bouncing down of tracks was involved which would invariably lead to mushiness. I loved it as a kid though and never really noticed the density at the time.
    As you say, it was exciting listening to those albums in real time. I retained the excitement up to The Game, then I started to wobble, although I held on throughout the 80s.

faceinthecrowd likes this.
  3. Sgt. Abbey Road

Sgt. Abbey Road Forum Resident

Masterpiece. I always say that it’s the „Sgt. Pepper’s Of The 70s“:)

primejive likes this.
  4. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

3.5 is what I'd give it. There 4 songs that are boring to me or don't seem to go anywhere/don't "say" anything.

5. JosepZ

JosepZ Digital knight of the analog masters

This made me chuckle. Poor Harpo was dead by then though.

carlwm likes this.
  6. DownInAHole

DownInAHole Forum Resident

I mostly agree with you.

I think A Night at the Opera is often hailed as their masterpiece by default. One of their albums must be a masterpiece, right? This one has "Bohemian Rhapsody" so it is the consensus pick. I don't believe that every band/artist has a "masterpiece" and Queen would be one of those bands. I very much enjoy the music of Queen and I own all of the albums circa 1973-1995 but, to me, their albums had too much filler for any of them to be a masterpiece.

I'm not sure if this is an unpopular opinion but my favourite Queen album is News of the World. That is the one with the most "album cuts" that I enjoy.

Ernold and mrzpliff like this.
  7. thetman

thetman Forum Resident

I have a few variations of this album, including an unopened DCC version.
    Which I've always heard is one of, if not the best version of this album.
    Not sure I should crack it open or not.
    other versions I have:
    blu-ray
    dvd-audio
    original US vinyl
    box set vinyl
    30th CD
    2011 CD

(not my picture)
    [​IMG]

MrJerry1876 likes this.
  8. khashoggi

khashoggi Forum Resident

Queen II was recorded on 16 track. They only had to do some backing tracks on 8 track due to studio booking conflicts.

9. MrJerry1876

MrJerry1876 Short Distance Voyager

I think it's very very good. Not in my top five Queen albums, but certainly top ten.

10. John54

John54 Senior Member

Uh, the poll options are incomplete ... although I don't need the missing ones, having voted 4/5.

11. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

They are incomplete indeed but that's a certain someones idea of democracy. Where a different/ negative opinion is equated with trolling. Bizarre, eh? :evil:

12. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

4/5 Very very good

13. Ernold

Ernold Look up the number

Yes, I agree. Opera is treated as their 'masterpiece' because they're a huge band and so they have to have one. It has Bo Rhap, and that makes people think this is Queen's 'masterpiece' - even though at least three of their other albums are actually much more consistent, and feature more great songs than Opera does. They never really made a 'masterpiece', but if you take away Bo Rhap it becomes pretty clear that there are stronger candidates among their albums than Opera, including the two albums before and the two albums after.

14. I vote 1/5, not because it actually deserves that low a rating, but in protest that the poll doesn't allow us that possibility. :p

mooseman likes this.
  15. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Some people can't cope with different opinions. Which is the whole idea of a poll. Probably somebody should explain it to them. :uhhuh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.