Ray Charles Live In Concert due on April 5

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MikeP5877, Mar 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. monkboughtlunch

monkboughtlunch Senior Member

Sound samples are up on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Live-Concert-Ray-Charles/dp/B0041KVJZK A few of these live tracks were included on the late 1980s Ray Charles Anthology CD that Steve mastered.

[​IMG]

The classic 1964 recording is now available on CD for the very first time! Includes SEVEN previously unreleased tracks!

This title will be released on April 5, 2011.

1. Opening
    2. Swing a Little Taste
    3. One Mint Julep
    4. I Got a Woman
    5. Georgia on My Mind
    6. Margie
    7. You Don't Know Me
    8. Hide Nor Hair
    9. That Lucky Old Sun
    10. Baby, Don't You Cry
    11. In The Evening [When the Sun Goes Down]
    12. Hallelujah, I Love Her So
    13. Makin' Whoopie
    14. Busted
    15. Don't Set Me Free
    16. Two Ton Tessie
    17. My Baby [I Love Her, Yes I Do]
    18. What'd I Say
    19. Finale

http://www.antimusic.com/news/11/march/01Ray_Charles_Live_in_Concert_Again.shtml

2. Excellent!

3. Larry Naramore

Larry Naramore Bonafied Knucklehead

Just got a shipping email from Amazon and listened to the sound samples. Man am I Jazzed! :goodie:

4. monkboughtlunch

Plus it's a Wally Heider engineered location recording. Heider was the "gold standard" of early/mid-60s remote recording engineers.

5. Todd E

Todd E Forum Resident

I only hope the geniuses at Concord have resisted the temptation to "improve" the album with an underdubbed band, or "duet" vocals by people who hadn't been born when the album has recorded. :laugh:

6. monewe

monewe Forum Resident

On my list.

7. monkboughtlunch

I now have this.

Observation: the unreleased tracks sound BETTER than the previously released album tracks. When I say "better" it sounds like the previously released album tracks are a generation or more removed -- thinner, duller, not as focused. They don't sound bad, but the previously unreleased stuff sounds AMAZING.

Here's what I think happened -- the previously unissued stuff may be from the source tapes -- whereas the previously released stuff might be from album masters.

Was this a 3 track recording?

Maybe the uinssued stuff is a fresh mix, but they just edited them to the original stereo mixdowns in a digital workstation to reassemble the concert sequence. If that's the case, I wish they would have just remixed the whole show.

Thoughts?

8. monkboughtlunch

BTW, the previously unreleased "Two Ton Tessie" is hilarious and Ray has the audience laughing in hysterics!

9. monkboughtlunch

I reached out to Bill Dahl who wrote the liner notes to see if the mastering team shared any background with him about the tape sources Concord used for the In Concert CD reissue. His feedback:

10. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

The original mix as it was released on original LP had way too much compression/limiting on the vocal mic. I hope that they were able to get that relaxed a bit. There are also some late fader moves, like the person mixing realized somehting was wrong and did a fix, but somewhat late. A hot performace, good recording, but the mix was not perfect by a long shot. Hope I have not ruined it for anyone.

Those that know this album, know what I am taking about.

11. PeteH

PeteH Shoes for Industry!

Wow! Just finished listening to this. Great concert, and nicely done sound. I agree there are some quirky fader things going on, but the concert and the overall sound quality are so good that you hardly notice it.

12. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

I agree completely with this point of view, as good as this release is, it's such fantastic show that has been spoilt by not remixing the entire performance, had this been done it would have done the great man proud but unfortunately it's not as good as it could have been, shame on Concord for not doing this right. :thumbsdn:

13. This is in heavy rotation since I got it, the sound quality pleasantly surprised me.

14. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

good to hear, my copy is in the post and i'm hoping it arrives today...I could use some Ray today....

15. DJ WILBUR

:love: oh this is even better than I expected...

16. :agree:

17. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

oh FINE, I'll buy it. Twist my arm!

18. Izozeles

Izozeles Pushing my limits

Oh God. I downgraded it to high priority and drop it from my cart at the last minute. Now I´ll have to put it back. I love this forum.

19. You won't be sorry for this one...I've been waiting 30 years for an authorized CD release of this album, and the results did NOT disappoint me!!!:love::goodie:
    My only regret is that Steve didn't get to do this one when DCC had the Ray Charles catalog way back when...

20. DJ WILBUR

its a good release overall. you'll enjoy it plenty...

21. hodgo

22. DJ WILBUR

Looks like Analogue Productions is releasing this one....should be great...

I"d never heard it til the cd came out and figured it was stodgy drippy and dull which is why it'd not been released...but man this live release swings and rocks and is utterly fantastic....I may have to get it on vinyl...

Hey Steve, do you know if there was an early and a late show on this one? The song that is on "Uh Huh", Makin' Whoopie, sounds like the piano is out of tune on the new release and perfect on your best of. wondered if there are two shows that night, or if there is more than one show they worked from or did Ray tweak it, or am I hearing things?

the cd implies it's all from one night...hence my question on is it maybe two shows in one night sort of thing.

23. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

24. monkboughtlunch

So will the AP hybrid SACD version of Ray Charles in Concert feature remixes from the original 3 tracks like the Sam Cooke Night Beat? If so, this could be a must purchase as the Concord version appeared to intersperse the original 2 track mixes with new mixdowns for the outtakes, thus creating a slightly inconsistent audio experience as you move from one source to another and back again.

25. hodgo

According to the track list on Acoustic Sounds it looks as though it's just the original 12 track release with no bonus cuts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.