Rega mm mk3 phono stage.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by frimleygreener, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Fizbin

Fizbin New Member

Thanks, Bill. Do you think it's worth the $500 Canadian to upgrade to the MK3 over the phono stage in the Brio?

2. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

That's up to you to decide. I can say that the Fono Mk3 is technically a bit better phono stage. You'll have both to compare with the Brio-R internal and the Mk3 side by side. If you have a local dealer who has one in stock, they can likely do that comparison demo for you in store. If you can't hear it first, then I guess it might help to know that the Fono Mk3 should offer a more dynamic and transparent sound. So greater clarity over the internal stage in the older Brio amp.
    -Bill

3. Fizbin

Fizbin New Member

Thanks for your comments, Bill.

4. chrism1971

chrism1971 Forum Resident

Has anyone here compared the Fono III with the 2017 Brio's phono stage?

5. Ivand

Ivand Forum Resident

I read on the last edition of HiFichoice that the gap between the Fono Mk3 and the Aria is not significant. Is that true? Thanks

6. Bruce Burgess

Bruce Burgess Senior Member

I'm now looking at getting the Fono MKiii, as the internal phono stage on my Elicit is starting to have some problems. I do have a couple of questions. Does Rega synergy mean that there is less chance or no chance of humming or RFI issues, if a Rega turntable with a Rega cartridge is hooked up to Rega phono stage.

Since, last posting, I upgraded to the Planar 6 with the Exact cartridge. I am therefore wondering whether the Fono could be placed on the same shelf as the Neo Power supply or would it have to be kept on a separate shelf.

7. HBJ

HBJ Forum Resident

Dunno if there's less chance of humming or RFI issues, but I do know that my wall-mounted RP8 picks up the sound from my fridge at the other side of the wall.

Setup is RP8/Exact/Aria.

I've tried various grounding stuff to no effect so far.

Dan Steele likes this.
  8. Bruce Burgess

Bruce Burgess Senior Member

I've never heard of that before. I'm wondering if it could be because it is mounted to the wall. Have you tried placing your turntable on an audio rack?

Before investing in a new phono stage, I want to make sure there is no chance of humming or RFI issues.

9. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

It's due to electrical interference from the fridge. There is never any way to be certain about noise possibilities in any installation. There are too many variables. The only thing that one can know for sure is that a component sounds well elsewhere, ie as it was designed. Once you add the many variables of a different electrical environment and other components, then you have a different situation. If you are having noise problems from your current phono stage, then it is likely that the noise has an external source, in which case you may very well have noise with a different phono stage. The reason is that phono preamps are very sensitive to noise on their inputs and they have a lot of gain, so the noise is amplified much more than with other components. That doesn't indicate a problem with the phono stage, rather a problem with isolating it from either its source or its environment. Unplugging the input to it and seeing if it then is silent may be instructive.
    -Bill

HBJ likes this.
  10. hammondjake

hammondjake Forum Resident

I have a Rega RP6 with the Exact cartridge and have just bought the Fono MM Mk3 after the phono stage in my Roksan integrated decided to self-destruct. I'm really happy with the sound, and in true upgrade fashion am now having to go through my whole album collection to hear everything in a new 'light'.

I have no hum or interference - the turntable sits on a wall shelf, and the Fono and Rega TT PSU sit on top of each other on a cupboard underneath.

The improvements in sound I'm hearing are: more resolution through the whole audio spectrum, tighter bass, much more revealing mid-range and a much-improved, more holographic soundstage, with individual instruments and voices presented more discretely.

I had been looking out for a secondhand Fono Mk2 but got the Mk3 as a new ex-demo deal for £160 from an online dealership. When it arrived I set everything up and immediately noticed something was 'off'. It turned out that the TT PSU was playing up, and after a couple of minutes the turntable slowed then stopped completely. I contacted the dealer who I bought the RP6 from, only to be told they were no longer a Rega dealership, and they referred me to my nearest Rega dealer, which turned out to be Audio T in Preston. Ian at Audio T asked me to bring the turntable in and arranged a (free) repair with Rega, and I had everything back in a week. Outstanding customer service from both Rega and Audio T - I highly recommend them both to UK buyers.

11. HBJ

HBJ Forum Resident

Bill, you're absolutely right. What's more, I just found out I've been using a power strip without grounding. Doh! I'm going to order some new cables and then check if it solves the problem. Either way the interference is at a very small volume (but of course I'd like to get rid of it anyhow). I'll keep you guys posted if you're interested.

12. silentsim

silentsim New Member

Is the Fono MK3 worth the cost upgrade over the Mani? Sound wise.

13. Netnomad

Netnomad Forum Resident

Yes it most definitely is much better midrange with the Fono MK3.

Dan Steele likes this.
  14. silentsim

silentsim New Member

I am debating between a Schiit Mani @ 200 CAD or a Rega MK3 @ 360 CAD (Retail 500$ CAD). Would you recommend going MK3?

15. Netnomad

Netnomad Forum Resident

@silentsim Yes go for the Rega. I changed my Mani to the Rega and would not go back to the Mani as it really lacks midrange.

Dan Steele and Kristofferabild like this.
  16. Timbo21

Timbo21 Forum Resident

I have a Project RS phono and was getting terrible pops on the left hand side. Dealer asked of I had Powerline internet adaptor, which I did. Sure enough that was the issue. I've had so many issues with noises of various types and it's always been mains related. I've got 2 x ring mains in my room and if all the gear is not on the same one I get a slight noise.

17. Timbo21

Timbo21 Forum Resident

I demo'd the Arcam rPhono and the Moon 110LPV2 for several weeks before deciding to go to a higher level and settled on the Project RS for my Technics SL1200G. I also own 2 x Rega Fono Mk3's for use with my Technics SL1210 Mk2's I use for DJ'ing. The Arcam is definitely better than the Fono Mk3, but the Fono Mk3 has a great punchy sound and not bright to my ears.

The Moon 110LPV2 sounds really nice too. I felt it had better image depth than the Arcam. The only downside of the Moon was the noise floor, which was not great. The Arcam and Rega both are much quieter.

18. drseid

drseid Active Member

I recently picked up the Planar 3 w/Elys2. My receiver is the outlaw RR2160 paired with Martin Logan motion 40's. I never ran the turntable through the receiver's built in phono because I had picked up the project Phono Box ultra 500. The Rega mm mk3 arrived this weekend. I've started the upgrading & ordered the white belt upgrade, Neo TT-PSU, Groovetracer reference sub platter, Delrin Platter and record weight. I wanted to start out with the PSU and Phono without belt or any other upgrades and pay attention speed and sound. Speed before psu was 33.47 with psu its 33.57. My question is how long is the break in period for this phono stage? The sound is not as clear or defined with the rega as it is with the project. I don't want to prematurely give up on the phono stage if it just needs more time to burn in or something. I've left it on for about two days now.

Dan Steele likes this.
  19. Cosmic messenger

Cosmic messenger Active Member

Hello, I have been following this thread in great detail because I had a demo of the new brio and it sounded brilliant with a rega p3. Could I get the same brilliance if I bought the rega phono stage?
    My gear is
    Rega p3 with ortofon 2m bronze,, Arcam fmj a29 amp and rega Rs5 speakers

20. Cosmic messenger

I guess I'm trying to say should I get the new rega brio or keep the arcam and add the rega phono

21. Ivand

Ivand Forum Resident

I used to own the Arcam A29 with the Rega Fono mk2 preamp. Loved the combo. I also had the chance to audition the Rega Elex-R one weekend. I’ve never had the chance to try the Rega Brio.

From what I’ve read, the Brio has a sound signature similar than that of the Elex-R. If so, then I’d say that the A29 + Rega Fono vs the Brio would offer different sound presentations. The Arcam offers a clean, detailed and dynamic sound but a bit soft on the edges. The Elex-R offered a warm, rich and lush sound.

I’d say two different flavors instead of one better than the other.

Good luck.

22. Cosmic messenger

Thank you
    I agree that the Arcam let's you hear individual instruments with great ease and has a super wide soundstage, the rega was more upfront, lush and gutsy,, in a real world I would like all the bits of the rega and arcam put together.

Maybe it's worth a punt to have the rega phono with the arcam

Ivand likes this.
  23. moomaloo

moomaloo All-round good egg

Now I would like to try a Rega MM phono stage but the problem is I don't have any spare line level inputs on my Rega Mira 3...

24. PinkIsTheSky

PinkIsTheSky Old Blues Man

Hello, sorry to revive an old thread, but I am in need of a phono per amp and have been looking into the MK3.

I have been using the integrated preamp of my old SA-1000, but after getting my CD player, I realized I needed to get a real phono pre amp as well.

I really don't know what to look for, but I have a Parasound P6 pre amplifier with the Parasound A21 amp, powering polk LSiM 707s, my turn table is a hand me down from my father, and I see no reason to upgrade that quite yet.

Just looking for a little boost... Would the MK3 be the best bang for my buck? Would synergy be a real issue?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help out!

25. Noel Patterson

Noel Patterson Music Junkie

Resurrecting an old thread here, but has anyone directly compared the Fono mk3 to the internal phono on the Brio? Is it worth the money? Also can get a Moon lp110 for about the same price as the Rega.