The Beatles Please Please Me album appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Beatles Fan 1999, Dec 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RockRoom

RockRoom I Love My Dog

Perfect rock and roll record. 'There's a Place' displays the formative stages of the Lennon/McCartney partnership.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2016
  2. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Or as we got it in the US, just "FAH!"
    [​IMG]

3. onionmaster

onionmaster Tropical new waver from the future

Mine too, it's a beautiful song. It's fun to play on guitar too.

I just love the combination of youthful exuberance, Northern feel and the undertone of sadness on this album. They'd never quite be the same again.

4. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

A simply FAB album!

5. John Bliss

John Bliss Forum Resident

All the superlatives others have used, and more. I never get tired of this album. The mono edges out the stereo but both mixes are great. Crisp sound!

AJK74 likes this.
  6. AJK74

AJK74 Forum Resident

Yes, the mono is incredible. I'm so pleased they reissued all the LPs with those mixes...

7. Mr. Grieves

Mr. Grieves Forum Resident

I think it's a wonderful album, & my second favorite pre-Rubber Soul album. I really dig Hold Me Tight, it's incredibly underrated to me. It was just more consistent to me

tages likes this.
  8. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I love this album. I have been listening to this record since it was released in the 60's.

Beatles Fan 1999 likes this.
  9. Koz3e

Koz3e Forum Resident

10. Koz3e

Koz3e Forum Resident

Hold Me Tight is my least favorite song on the album. McCartney is really flat in a lot of it and harmonies are just weird! But I will admit it drives along pretty good. I just think they didn't spend enough time on it .

11. Mr. Grieves

I like it. I find it very charming, and unique. I've never understood the hate for it, personally. I think he sounds interesting, even if he isn't pitch perfect. Even their "throwaways" are extremely catchy in the best way. All my opinion of course. I'd rather have that than Love Me Do, which I've never liked at all. Still quite enjoy the bulk of their debut though

Lewisboogie likes this.
  12. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I got this album on CD for Christmas in 1995 and that's when I heard it for the first time. I was amazed at how good it was and how many of the great songs I'd never heard before.

13. beatleswho

beatleswho Forum Resident

Please Please Me' wow, what an amazing album! You can hear the beatlemania from the first second of "I Saw Her Standing There" 1,2,3,4 BIG BANG!
    As many post here before There's a Place is my favorite song, it's so beautiful and the first deep lyrics of their catalogue. This song is not the typical "i love you" song, is much more than that. The lyrics, the harmonies, the chords, is just perfect. Silly question, Paul and John wrote it together or just John by himself?

CrombyMouse likes this.
  14. douglas mcclenaghan

douglas mcclenaghan Forum Resident

That's my favourite track, too. Amazing lyric.

Mr. Grieves and beatleswho like this.
  15. Beatles Fan 1999

Beatles Fan 1999 Active Member Thread Starter

I think you're talking about the wrong album

16. Mr. Grieves

Sorry dude, I'll stop my With The Beatles appreciation. But things are bound to spiral a wee bit off topic, especially regarding this band.

Carry on.

17. Beatles Fan 1999

Beatles Fan 1999 Active Member Thread Starter

All in good humor my friend

Mr. Grieves likes this.
  18. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I still can't believe they recorded the whole album in one day from start to finish!

goodiesguy and Beatles Fan 1999 like this.
  19. Muzyck

Muzyck Pardon my scruffy hospitality

Die Beatles! Die Beatles! :evil:

[​IMG]

Cranking a drop of this '66 HorZu at "11" now. The go to version!

Last edited: Dec 1, 2016
  20. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

"Die Beatles"? Man, they really took that whole "Bigger Than Jesus" thing seriously, didn't they?! :D

(Seriously, that's a pretty cool cover).

21. Mr. Grieves

[​IMG]

goodiesguy and Beatles Fan 1999 like this.
  22. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

Pretty sure "There's a Place" was all (or mostly) John.

Paul may have helped polish it a bit, but it's a prototype of the type of song John would revisit from time-to-time throughout his career.

beatleswho likes this.
  23. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

A taste of honey is great............on a biscuit, or in tea. Baklava wouldn't be the same without it :D

If you like the first Beatles album, this is the PPM equivalent to a LZII RL pressing.
    It's stunning.

[​IMG]

I like the first album because they sound hungry, fame hasn't affected them yet.

goodiesguy and EdogawaRampo like this.
  24. marmil

marmil It's such a long story...

Twist And Shout is one of the greatest recorded performances. Ever.

25. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

By Far, my Favorite Beatles album. The most "honest" album in the Beatles cannon, with the least amount of studio trickery.

What you are hearing, on PPM, is how The Beatles REALLY sounded, at least in 1962, rough edges and all.

There is a real "in your face" presence on this album that we didnt see again until *maybe* Beatles For Sale.

The Hor Zu version in STEREO is THE one to get. The 3D presentation is just remarkable, with the guitar sounds bouncing off the back walls of Abbey Road and getting picked up by the vocal mics. This Lp also sounds just killer thru a tube amp with 6BQ5 tubes.

EdogawaRampo and driverdrummer like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.