The official "random Star Wars stuff" thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Rocker, Sep 26, 2011.

1. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

I dont quite agree with the Episodes 2 and 3 switch,but the rest work. Especially switching the titles to 1 and 9.

2. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member Thread Starter

I've probably posted each of these individually elsewhere, but here's a compilation of all 9 pitch meetings... definitely worth watching, some really funny laugh-out-loud moments in here.

wolfram and canonlon like this.
  3. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member

In celebration of the 40th anniversary of Empire Strikes Back, Lucasfilm has released about seven minutes of never-before-seen footage from the set. Some terrific footage here!

4. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident

5. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member

Luke Skywalker finally makes it to Tosche Station!

[​IMG]

6. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

This Week's Specials: 99 cent burritos and any size Slushies, PLUS Buy One, Get One FREE power converters!

David Campbell and BeatleJWOL like this.
  7. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

And now for something completely different....

BGLeduc and Rocker like this.
  8. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member

May the 4th be with you!

Happy Star Wars Day!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. polchik

polchik Forum Resident

released right before christmas '21 ....

auralnauts - star wars episode VII banana time LMAO
    https://youtu.be/6EsDzjyy65I

make sure to watch the series from eps 1 tho .... fact is there IS a well thought out story line ! and it's most definitely not nonsense like 'bad lip reading'

all hail CREEPIO!

can't wait for eps VIII

ymmv of course lol

10. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member

Happy Star Wars Day! May the 4th be with you!

[​IMG]

11. Slack Babbath

Slack Babbath Hit The North...

12. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member

Some pretty brutal criticisms of the Jedi in Star Wars. The Jedi basically kidnaps kids away from their parents, they force kids to not have emotions and be detached from people, they are not democratic, and they are basically a religious force intervening in a secular government. That's just the few few of their list!

Star Wars: 10 Huge Problems No One Wants To Admit About The Jedi

asdf35 likes this.
  13. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

So, from that point of view, the Jedi are evil? :laugh: I mean, it wouldn't be the first time somebody pointed that out:

14. Rocker

15. Rocker

Danny Coffin and Juan Solo like this.
  16. VeeDub

VeeDub Senior Member

17. Rocker

Well, that was the quietest May 4th ever... :rolleyes:

18. altaeria

altaeria Forum Resident

Or whatever year is the version they show on TNT nowadays.

The main distinction is the Anakin spirit at the end is Hayden Christensen.

19. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

We saw this Monday. It was on an XD screen. I haven’t seen the movie in 20-25 years or more. I remember loving it. Wow, has this not aged well!

First problem was the image. It was very poor and looked a bit dark. I’m curious if they dialed down the brightness to save money…the theatre was reasonably full for a Monday, so that stinks considering we all paid extra to see it on this deluxe screen. And stupid because I won’t go back there. Or, I wonder if it was the digital conversion?

The sound was so underwhelming. I knew we were in trouble when the fanfare music started. Dull and unexciting as dishwater. It never got much better. Not even a lot of surround sound activity. It sounds and looks so much better on my 140” projection system on blu-ray. Again, don’t know if it’s the dated film or the theatre just screwed up the whole thing. It was a Cinemark Theater, so not some hole in the wall.

The special effects….nothing like I remember. On that giant screen, you could really see how fake things were. Actors against what often looked like a projection screen, and they were soft in focus. I never noticed before, I always thought the effects looked great.

And of course this has nothing to do with the poor presentation at our theatre, but the dialogue is so laughingly bad. And the scene where Dart Vader and Luke are battling each other. Darth is hunting for Luke, telling Luke he can feel him, and knows his thoughts….while Luke is hiding six feet away from him behind a cabinet or whatever. Darth can’t find him, but can feel his presence and knows his thoughts. My wife and I were laughing it was so ridiculous. So many scenes where the rules of the force are changed temporarily to serve the narrative. Just never noticed that before, but it really stuck out this time for some reason.

I’ve read for years how George didn’t write well, but honestly I just never noticed until this viewing.

May I ask you guys, did we just get unlucky on picking the wrong venue, or does it indeed look pretty poor in a modern theatre? And is the dialogue considered as bad as we thought it was, or were we being far too critical?

I’m just shocked I remembered this so fondly and that on a new viewing, it was so laughingly bad. A good theatre isn’t going to fix the story telling! I’m almost afraid to watch the two before Jedi! I was one of those that enjoyed the three Disney films, fyi.

20. Square Hammer

Square Hammer Forum Resident

Does Disney have the original camera recordings of the movies? I think they are called negatives? Would that be the purest way to watch the original films?

21. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

22. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

The reason for the picture and audio being poor during the screening is probably because they used the version that Disney has on Disney+ and the 4K UHDs. I borrowed them from a friend and the picture is so dark on the UHDs that I had to put the remastered BDs in. Disney's ATMOS mixes are also at a lower volume than other studios. It is a known complaint online. On my receiver I set the volume at 15 for most movies but with Disney UHDs I have to crank it 28 to even hear it.

Johnny66 and Jrr like this.
  23. JohnBR

JohnBR Forum Resident

I might be using the wrong terminology here...but every time I go to a "legacy" screening like this, I'm disappointed to see that the theater is using a digital presentation instead of the original film. In my opinion digital screenings just don't look or even sound right in a movie theater setting, no matter how high definition they are. It just doesn't compare to the original film presentation.

Jrr likes this.
  24. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Thank you for the explanation.

Johnny66 likes this.
  25. A friend of mine went to a showing here and was also very unimpressed.