What did you enjoy more if you experienced all of them, buying new LPs, cassettes or cds?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by 80steen, Apr 20, 2022.

1. pez

pez Forum Resident

rave tapes in the early 90’s gave me the most pleasure, on a Walkman! I’d dream about going to one.

TurtleIsland and Cool hand luke like this.
  2. Cool hand luke

Cool hand luke There you go man, keep as cool as you can

Was his voice real low ?

ARK and dsdu like this.
  3. Patanoia

Patanoia Third Ear Centre

I voted for Cassettes. I have very happy memories of that period in the '80s when I had my first job but was still living at home with my parents, so I had the disposable income to buy a new cassette or two each week. "Liberty Belle and the Black Diamond Express", "The Colour of Spring", "Idlewild", "Don't Stand Me Down", "Whose Side Are You On". And I could listen to them in my room without disturbing anyone. Happy days!

Spastica and 80steen like this.
  4. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

LPs - I've never gotten the thrill from the other 2 - just something very special about holding a record. The same for a real book, too!

condorsat, Bhobb, fmfxray373 and 2 others like this.
  5. Wild Horse

Wild Horse Forum Resident

Buying vinyl albums when I was young, and buying used vinyl albums more recently.

CDs were soul-less. They looked like something from Office Max. I got rid of them all and don't miss them.

Cassettes were for the car, I never took them seriously.

CCrider92 and Whoroger89 like this.
  6. classicrocker

classicrocker Life is good!

Never bought a prerecorded cassette and shopping for CD's was not too exciting to me but I have always enjoyed buying Vinyl.

Back in the 1970's I always enjoyed going to a record store and going through the racks looking for new LP's to buy. Part of the enjoyment was checking out the artwork and looking at the credits on the back of the LP. Always looked for the the cutout bin back then and found many two dollar gem.

Even today I love spending time in a local shop crate diving looking for LP's of bands to fill holes in my collection or old blues records to check out. Also enjoy looking at the artwork and credits while listening to the album when I have time to just sit and listen.

Whoroger89 likes this.
  7. Iowa Hawkeye Beatlefan

Iowa Hawkeye Beatlefan Forum Resident

Enjoyed all at different times, although predominantly CDs. Born in 1972, so really started buying music in early 1980s. At that time, it was mostly cassettes and some vinyl, basically whatever format I could find what I wanted. In 1987, I purchased a stereo system with my first CD player, and then bought exclusively CDs for the better part of the next 30 years (outside of recordable cassettes to have portable copies of CDs for the first 15 or so years of that CD-exclusive window). Over the last 5 years or so, it has been a mix of CDs and vinyl. Mostly the vinyl for me is reserved for re-purchasing some of my favorite albums, as well as some things that are exclusive to that format. Otherwise I am still mostly CDs. But they all have a place in the collection.

8. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

I only took cassettes seriously when I made tapes I could play in my car.

9. Wild Horse

Wild Horse Forum Resident

Yeah, I used to make tapes for the car, too. 90 minute TDKs. One album per side. If it went over 45 mins., skip the worst song.

CCrider92 likes this.
  10. Oscillation

Oscillation Maybe it was the doses?

LP's

CCrider92 likes this.
  11. kundryishot

kundryishot Forum Resident

IFF I had a limitless supply of money I would buy only R2R tapes to the exclusion of all other formats

CCrider92 likes this.
  12. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

I still have 100's of them and I sometimes pick one out and play it. Cassettes are much more fun to make than CDs. I think perhaps because there was more engineering involved!?

Cool hand luke and Wild Horse like this.
  13. fallbreaks

fallbreaks Forum Resident

Unwrapping LPs always smells so good, and the artwork is nice and big. Cassettes had a characteristic smell too, but the artwork wasn’t as cool even if it had a foldout booklet. CDs didn’t smell as much, but in the beginning I loved the rainbows. You just new digital audio was gonna be good because of the rainbows.

CCrider92 likes this.
  14. Cool hand luke

Yes they were...it was a more "live" experience. You had to play the song from the source in real time, as it recorded. It made a difference in picking the next song. It was almost like your own radio show.

CCrider92 likes this.
  15. Cool hand luke

That's when 100min Maxells came in handy

ARK and CCrider92 like this.
  16. spencer1

spencer1 Great Western Forum Resident

LP’s by a country mile.

The cassettes I purchased you could count on one hand.
    We all made our own.

kundryishot and CCrider92 like this.
  17. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

Made me feel like the host of this web site! A recording engineer! LOL

Cool hand luke likes this.
  18. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

I liked buying more used LPs better than fewer new LPs most of all, but for new product the only time it brought me great joy has been LPs. I never bought cassettes and while I've bought plenty of CDs as an object they've never had appeal.

CCrider92 and Whoroger89 like this.
  19. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

#1 LPs - sound quality

Cassettes were portable, could be carried on jets with a walkman and 2 small quality speakers, and could be played on vibrating platforms!!!

CDs - excellent portability & also could be played on vibrating platforms.

Then I retired and it was 'immediately' back to LPs as #1.
    CDs are fine too (#2).

I play and enjoy both LPs and CDs but analog sound (to me) just sounds and 'feels' better.

switchnow, CCrider92 and Whoroger89 like this.
  20. TheHutt

TheHutt Forum Resident

The only CDs I really enjoyed unpacking in a long time was the Beatles in Mono set. And it basically consists of mini replicas of LPs. Go figure.

21. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

LPs all along. What I grew up buying and gladly returned to after a long hiatus when CDs were dominant.

CCrider92 likes this.
  22. 80steen

80steen John McClane Thread Starter

I knew cassettes would get trounced but there are some votes. That window when cassettes were my only option between LPs and cds, it was fun

Spastica, ARK and CCrider92 like this.
  23. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

no LPs for me ...could not justify the price for new vinyl...
    years ago I did as there were so many more options in purchasing...never got heavily into cassettes...I bought some but I preferred making my own high quality mix tapes..

CCrider92 and 80steen like this.
  24. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

CDs

ARK and 80steen like this.
  25. Al Gator

Al Gator You can call me Al

I loved buying LPs back in the day - there will always be something magical about the artwork and tangible feeling of an LP, opening it, seeing the gatefold and/or inner sleeves, and holding the music, looking at the grooves. Hold a copy of Physical Graffiti or Yessongs or Dark Side in your hands and you'll know what I mean.

But for listening it's all about digital to me, CDs and files - I haven't listened to an LP in decades. And don't get me started on the wonder of the CD format for large-scale box sets and live recordings. A well-done CD box set can be a thing of true beauty.

CCrider92 and 80steen like this.