Yamaha A-S801 Or Marantz PM8006?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by rockin_since_58, Mar 31, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rockin_since_58

rockin_since_58 Forum Resident Thread Starter

My Vincent integrated amp has developed a problem that is going to take a few hundred dollars to fix and I don't want to take a chance on this Chi-Fi amp and then have something else crap out.

I can see from pictures of the Marantz that it is made in Japan but don't know about the Yamaha. The Yamaha has a bit more power and is more versatile in terms of inputs.

Looking for comments from anyone that has used either of these 2 amps as I have no place to listen to them in advance. I will get whichever one choose from Amazon due to the ease of returning if I don't like it.

My Vincent amp is a tube hybrid rated at 150 watts and sounds really good but I just don't see it as being reliable. Nothing worse then sitting down getting into a listening session then it starts acting up.

I primarily listen to digital via Roon and Qobuz as well as CD's with an Audiolab 6000CDT. I also have 2 turntables which the Yammy can accomodate. My speakers are Elac Carina Towers.

Thanks in advance!

mreeter likes this.
  2. inzite

inzite Forum Resident

i think the pm8006 is highly reviewed with a pretty decent phono stage for being inside an integrated

3. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

I just bought a Marantz 30 and couldn't be more impressed. 30n on order.

TheMovieRad, jusbe and mreeter like this.
  4. wmb44

wmb44 Forum Resident

I bought a used Marantz PM8004 several years ago and have been very happy with it. I have KEF LS50s and mostly listen to Roon through a Pro-Ject S2 digital DAC. The phono stage seems fine to me but I’m no vinyl expert. I also use the home theatre direct feature quite a bit, which you may not need.

dennis1077, Ntotrar and timind like this.
  5. Dr. J.

Dr. J. Music is in my soul

I have not heard either amp, but from very extensive reading, the Yamaha's digital inputs are supposed to be incredible, and so given your listening needs, the Yammie would be my choice. Check out this review:

6moons audioreviews: Yamaha AS-801

6. rockin_since_58

The review was good to read. I was able to see a good view of the back and could see that it is made in Malaysia which is probably on par with made in China in terms of reliability.

jusbe and Mikeybc like this.
  7. Mikeybc

Mikeybc Listener

The Yamaha is made in Malaysia . Yamaha edits our the labels in advertisement photos of the rear panel. From looking at pics of listings on the audiomarts photos clearly show made in Malaysia.

jusbe likes this.
  8. rockin_since_58

On MD's website it states that the PM8006 is made in Marantz's Japan Reference factory which seems to be a big plus.

jusbe, Razakoz and Ntotrar like this.
  9. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

If the thing works specially not being a mechanic device, I would not stress too much about the reliability. What I would keep in mind is that generally brands -that are normally Japanese- when made somewhere else is because the model is a lesser one that what they will produce in Japan. That could include lesser quality capacitors and so on but I wouldn't expect it to blow immediately. If you go by internal looks, the Marantz looks more solid but sometimes that means little.

10. rockin_since_58

The Marantz definitely looks better to me. It doesn't have all the digital inputs but I have that covered with the Cambridge CXN V2. Looks like the Marantz also has a decent phono stage which might allow me to nix the Hagerman Bugle I am currently using and have one less piece of gear in my rack.

jusbe likes this.
  11. Razakoz

Razakoz Forum Resident

I would go with the marantz just because it's made in japan, but both of them are very good units. As for reliability of the yammy, it should still be better than the vincent just because there's no tubes. Tube gear can be reliable, but it needs to be high quality for that.

12. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

As an anecdotal comment, I have owned a few components of both brands, I was generally a bit more pleased with the sound from Marantz components. Again not necessarily a valid reason to make a decision on completely different stuff. But based on the two options you have put forward my gut feeling is that if I were you I'll go for the Marantz.

13. BMill

BMill Well-Known Member

If you're getting a separate Pre-Amp, I think the Yamaha is a fine choice.
    I'm going to assume the marantz has a better phono stage, but who knows?
    I'm using the optical input with google chromecast on Spotify with my Yamaha and its scary good how nice it sounds.

14. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

I own three Marantz PM amps (8004, 6004, 5005) and one old Yamaha (mid-90's) AV receiver. I'm thrilled with the Marantz product, especially the 8000 series integrateds. That said, at least in 1995, Yamaha made a brilliant AV receiver with a great phono stage with a tone control bypass for 2-channel listening. But, between the 8006 and 801, I'd pick the Marantz. The digital inputs don't interest me much but that's one of those 'depends on what the main purpose is' things. The Marantz PM8000 series also offers a Mid tone control and is, IMO, a far better looking integrated than Yamaha's. Also, I think Marantz has the longer warranty. Good luck in your search. I suspect either will do a good job but the nod goes to Marantz in this comparison.

luckybaer likes this.
  15. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

coming from the Vincent and going to the Marantz PM 8006, you may be making a side move. You would do better hunting down a Marantz Reference PM 14s1 unless you don’t mind the latest Marantz with digital amps. I have both brands and the Marantz Reference is a step up from the Vincent you have. Also,,,those new Vincent amps SV 700 are made in Germany...from what I read.

jusbe likes this.
  16. Mindhead1

Mindhead1 Forum Resident

I just went through this selection process and ended up with the PM8006 which I’m extremely happy with. Prior to the Marantz I had a Yamaha as301 which I liked very much, but have passed on to my son.

Prior to the PM8006, I ordered an Yamaha as701. I immediately noticed the power difference and increased sound stage over the as301 through my Klipsch rp160m speakers. After a weak of listening I decided that the as701 with my speakers was to bright and lacked low end and wasn’t a keeper. I found myself turning up the volume in search of bass. Even with the tone controls I couldn’t get the sound right.

I did not have this problem with as301. I really enjoyed the SQ of that amp, especially after I added a Project Phono Box S2 phono stage and used my Aune X1S DAC for digital music. The phono stage and DAC in the as301 were ok, but not great. The phono stage and DAC in the as701 are the same as the as301. OK, but not great.

I decided that an internal DAC wasn’t that important to me and I liked my external phono stage and narrowed my search to analog only amps. I considered the Rega Brio, Rega Elex-R, PM8006, and Yamaha as1200. I also considered the CA CXA61/81 but wasn’t interested in paying for a DAC I might not like. The as1200 was tempting but to expensive for me. I was about to pull the trigger on the Brio when I saw an open box sale from Crutchfield on the PM8006 and decided to give that a try. I am glad I did.

The PM8006 is a solid piece of kit. It has a nice smooth sound and plenty of power. The low end is present and controlled and the highs and mids are clear and detailed but not over bearing and fatiguing. The phono stage on the PM8006 is as good as the Phone Box S2. The Aune X1S DAC sounds great with the PM8006. I feed the DAC Coax with a Raspberry Pi w/ Hifiberry Digi+ Pro HAT that’s running MoOde. The RPi hosts my FLAC, serves up Qobuz via UpNP and YouTube Music via AirPlay.

Having heard both the As701, which is the same as the as801 except for the DAC, I recommend the Marantz PM8006. IMO, it provides a more balanced sound with my speakers and I can get the low end I like at more moderate volumes. That said, an RSL Speedwoofer has been ordered. Low end should not be an issue going forward.

Best of luck in your search!

Last edited: Apr 1, 2021
    pressureworld, Speedmaster and jusbe like this.
  17. aunitedlemon

aunitedlemon Unity is in the pith.

+1 for the Yamaha. I was so impressed with a year of the sound and finish of my 801 that I decided to really upgrade and recently purchased the A-S3200. The 801 now creates smiles in the shop. If you can afford to order both for an in-home audition that'd be your best comparison. Both amps can serve you well, it's just a matter of which flavor suits your tastes.

18. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

Sound advice (NPI ;))

19. rockin_since_58

Well unfortunately the Marantz is not available until the end of the month. For now I will just keep the screws out of the cover on the Vincent so I can quickly re-seat the tubes when needed. I can actually get to them without pulling the amp out of the rack.

luckybaer likes this.
  20. ChrisR2060

ChrisR2060 Stereo addict

I have not heard the Yamaha, but my marantz 8004 is 10 years old and works really well, an sounds really good and smooth!
    Your speakers are 6ohms / 87db per watt, so depending on your room and how loud you listen, the marantz may be a bit short. I like mine in near/mid field, but not so much in my family room in far-field compared to amps with twice the power.
    Zero fidelity compared both the 801 and 8006 in one of his reviews. check it out!

21. Jazzabana

Jazzabana Qobuz all the way

Having owned a-s801, I can say that its phono stage is its weakest link. a-s801's dac sounds better than its phono stage. I would recommend considering
    a phono if you ever...
    I think marantz sound warmer than a-s801, so transitioning from a tube amp (if you were happy with the sound)
    pm8006 would provide you a more familiar sound signature.

Peace!

The Pinhead, Mindhead1 and ChrisR2060 like this.
  22. Funky54

Funky54 Coat Hangers do not sound good

I sell and have spent extensive time with both product lines. For two channel and/or phono stage the Marantz hands down. The Yamaha is rock solid reliable as an integrated Home Theater Processor. It’s slightly more articulate in my opinion but is also this subtle side of harsh or glassy. I use both depending on the application.

Anything you order will be a long wait.

Jazzabana likes this.
  23. rockin_since_58

The room is only 10x10 so doesn't require a lot of power. My current amp is 150 watts and does very well with bass at low volumes.

24. rockin_since_58

I am strictly just interested in two channel sound. I listen to vinyl, streaming and CD's. I do not need an internal DAC as I have the Denafrips Ares II as well as the Cambridge streamer has a built-in DAC. I am move more and more to streaming.

25. Funky54

Funky54 Coat Hangers do not sound good

Then I wouldn’t buy either. I’d get a Parrasound newclassic sound 200. Maybe check out Rogue too. Their hybrid sounds pretty good.

paulieb00, bgiliberti and ChrisR2060 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.