Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #57)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Jul 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

I will say that the EMI reissues cut at Abby Road facility have been a major disappointment. Original EMIs and the MoFi reissues from the 80s both kill them

EasterEverywhere, Mr Bass and Joe071 like this.
  2. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

As for Decca/London, the 180g reissues (from Germany, I guess) are excellent. They are not that hard to find and sound fairly good.

ToddBD, Mr Bass and Scott Wheeler like this.
  3. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

LP's in a supersized CD box ... LOL

EasterEverywhere and Joe071 like this.
  4. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

Tone Audio did a review and comparison of this Decca LP box with originals and they were basically positive. Two of the LPs contain original digital source recordings apparently. People interested in classical reissues should also consider the (German) Speakers Corner series of Deccas as alluded to by Yasujiro. I have a few and they are very good generally. They are slightly darker than the originals probably from tape aging in the high treble.

5. fly4x4

fly4x4 Forum Resident

Thank you very much and the article is very helpful!

I am by far not against good original copies at all but when I go into a shop and look through the classical section I am totally lost. I see all these different versions of the same work and then trying to make sense of the descriptions and how they cataloged is a bit daunting.
    So even older recommendations will be fine if it is easy to decipher to get the correct copy.

Thank you very much!

Joe071 likes this.
  6. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

So far I have found every Speakers Corner to be superior to every original I own of the same titles. Here is the thing though. What is an "original?" Decca LPs have had many incarnations and IME in most cases the "original" is not the best. It depends on the cutting equipment and the cutting engineer. Many of the great early 6os recordings were better mastered in the late 60s. Also so far the best versions of Decca recordings that i have heard have been the King Super Analog versions. I have not had a chance to audition and compare the ORG 45 rpm reissues yet.

jukes likes this.
  7. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Or more to the point, differently. In which case it really boils down to a matter of taste. Unless I'm mistaken, remastering/repressings of Decca recordings from the all-tube era were rendered with solid state gear. So there is greater clarity overall and extension of the high treble. I suspect cutting head technology also improved by that point. But I have found a greater sense of palpable presence—what Glenn Gould called "tactile proximity"—in the earlier, all-tube pressings.

Again, a matter of taste. In any case, a lot of the chase for me is finding original issues. As they are so cheap I've got no problem with getting rid of it if it's hopelessly flawed. Yesterday I picked up 15 LPs, mostly classical, $15 some not so good sonically but still worthwhile as performances. The Bruckner 3ed with Carl Schuricht and the VPO on Seraphim suffers from too much surface noise, a pity as sonically and as a performance it is first rate, would have been a better coupling for the 9th that came out on SACD. Bernstein and the NYPO performing dances from West Side Story on a six-eye Columbia in great delivers the promised goods.

Mr Bass likes this.
  8. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

thereof Opus 132.....

9. TeacFan

TeacFan Forum Resident In Memoriam

Link or photo of item please.

10. coopmv

My box arrived sometimes last year and is still in its shrinkwrap ... LOL

11. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

I suggest you move that to the front of your playlist. :)

Robin L likes this.
  12. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

:tsk:

;)

George P and Robin L like this.
  13. ToddBD

ToddBD Forum Resident

Now playing...
    [​IMG]

14. coopmv

Maurice Andre was the original Mr. Trumpet ...

15. coopmv

Is it really that good? :winkgrin:

16. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

Sorry I'll pass.I have all the originals.Some Decca,some London.All first pressings.I thinkI spent all of fifty cents on that Ansermet L'Enfant et Les Sortileges on the original Decca.Is there a London?Never saw one.Articles like this are written by dealers who want you to buy their fancy-schmancy reissue boxes for hundred$ of dollar$.When up until a couple of years ago,the thrift stores were full of these records.Original pressings.Decca,London,even the occasional Japanese Blueback.It's BS.Decca and London are the same,and sound the same.For a dealer in high dollar reissues to criticize another dealer for selling high dollar originals is a case of

[​IMG]

I have a couple of the UK Decca stereo test pressings he shows here.Ansermet and Curzon from the 60s.They are neat to have,but sound no different from the regular issues.I bought them in 2003 from an ebay seller in Australia or $3.25 each.

17. George P

Better!

18. George P

Ok, guys, let's continue here.

:wave:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.