The Church - any of the congregation here? (Part Two)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Remington Steele, Oct 20, 2014.

1. Remington Steele

Remington Steele Forum Resident Thread Starter

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2015
  2. soundfanz

soundfanz Forum Resident

That's correct.

I was sent a digital copy of the album yesterday (I have the vinyl on pre-order) and it contained the 3 bonus tracks.
    Marine Drive, Xmas, and The Girl Is Buoyant.

I LOVE this album, and the 3 bonus tracks are excellent too.

The band will be playing the album in full in an east coast tour over the next week or so, will catch them on Nov 1 in Brisbane.

Volt-and-Volume and JeffMo like this.
  3. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I hesitate to even bring this up, but the merch table was stocked with all kinds of rarities like Tin Mine comp, Re:Fomation cd, etc...

4. bonjo

bonjo Forum Resident

I just think it's weird when a band recruits a new member who's young enough to have been a teenage fan during their heyday.

As for the music, sounds pretty much like every other Church record of the Tim Powles era. Maybe it will grow on me.

monkeyboy67 and Bluepicasso like this.
  5. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

Sam Coulson, the new guitarist in Asia (replaced Howe), wasn't even born when Heat of the Moment was a hit.

6. Em.

Em. Forum Resident

Here's the video for "Pride Before A Fall".
    Quite nice.

7. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

I don't care so much about the age of their new guitar player. As many jazz musicians will ask, "can he hang?" Judging from what I've heard so far, yes. Yes he can.

I'm a big Marty fan, but I can't deny the quality of this album. But then again, I loved "Untitled #23."

8. Already have the Refo:mation CD, but would've liked to have a look, anyway. Must've been a great experience getting to hear those three classic albums played in their entirety.

9. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Sorry, I may have gotten the name of the tour wrong. I saw the one where they played one song on each album in reverse chronological order. Very cool idea, but TBH I would have rather seen the U23/P=A/Starfish show!!!

But no complains about what I did see, a great band in an intimate venue, playing a huge chunk of their back catalog. And the band gave away a free booklet tour program (notes by MWP about each album) and a free cd single of the most recent release (Dead Man's Hands). Added to the loot I bought at the merch table, I more than got my money's worth that night.

EasterEverywhere and AlienRendel like this.
  10. Levitated

Levitated Forum Resident

You must have been at the Somerville show? I was there, that was fun night, Steve was very entertaining between songs. I also caught the Future, Past Perfect tour & the Untitled #23 tour in New Hampshire. Not sure which was my favorite, might be the Untitled #23 show, as it was my 1st time seeing them & a very cool venue. Was lucky enough to snag a signed copy of the Untitled #23 vinyl at that show.

JeffMo likes this.
  11. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident

Just a brilliant song..if the album is this good..wholly shmolly.

12. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Em posted a link to the whole streaming album if you scroll back a few pages!

I was - at a very strange fine arts venue I might add. But it was a great show. I'm jealous you got the vinyl U23!

13. ServingTheMusic

Thank you.

I saw the Church at a beachside venue on a balmy night on the Forget Yourself Tour. There were maybe a 100 people there.

MWP was in a foul mood! But they played great.

14. Levitated

Levitated Forum Resident

The venue in NH was equally strange (in a cool way), was like seeing them play in a barn almost. They had a BYOB policy there as well. I liked the place in Somerville as well, I lived down the street from it for years & never new it existed until that night!

Just tried to preorder the vinyl from their shop a few minutes ago, but noticed the $30 shipping charge!!! Would have been $66 for the album! Think I'll wait for the US release. Torture.

JeffMo likes this.
  15. ServingTheMusic

I'm a little miffed..the "digital" albums available for sale on their site do not indicate format..I am guessing lossy.

16. Levitated

Levitated Forum Resident

Seems like the last few tours they have played slightly unusual & out of the way venues. I don't think they've played in Boston proper for the last 3 tours. I dig that! More of an adventure.

JeffMo likes this.
  17. ServingTheMusic

Well, Forget Yourself was a dark time for the band commercially, and maybe a low point for their US popularity....

AlienRendel likes this.
  18. ServingTheMusic

Does anyone know where a legal FLAC download of Further/Deeper may be?

19. Twangy

Twangy Forum Resident

Seems like the last few tours they have played slightly unusual & out of the way venues. I don't think they've played in Boston proper for the last 3 tours. I dig that! More of an adventure.

yeah, that Somervile show seemed kind of an odd venue, but was a nice place to see them….the only 2 shows i think they played in the area since then were at the now defunct Showcase Live at the stadium complex in Foxboro, MA….i was doing a lot of graphic design work for Second Motion Records at the time, and had recently completed the Kilbey solo box set and talked with him a bit that night about it….hope someday they make it back!!

JeffMo likes this.
  20. Levitated

Levitated Forum Resident

Yeah, I saw them on the FPP tour there. I didn't realize it closed! I remember Kilbey saying it was the largest / nicest dressing room backstage they had ever had!

Second Motion huh? I'm also a big Adam Franklin fan, not sure if he's still on that label though?

Any way, I wonder where they'll play this time with Showcase gone......

21. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

That is right - I'm on the north shore and couldn't get all the way down to Foxboro last time. I don't recall NH being an option but I may have missed that!

The three of us will have to get together for a beer and catch the next New England show. Personally I would love to see them play the Paradise or the Orpheum, or a summer show at the Pavillion.

William Smart and Levitated like this.
  22. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

I've purchased two Kilbey solo albums as downloads and in both cases some of the FLAC files were corrupted and I couldn't burn a CDR from them or convert/extract them to WAV. I ended up paying [the big bucks] for mp3 files.

But they were cool albums so I didn't sweat it.

Looking forward to hearing the new album.

23. ServingTheMusic

yes, i bought Kilbey stuff from bandcamp FLAC...i had no problems.. So the Church store is all mp3?...that sucks.

mikmcmee likes this.
  24. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

Well, FLAC was available, but like I said, it didn't work for me... with two different albums. Some tracks came through, but others didn't. It was weird.

mikmcmee likes this.
  25. ServingTheMusic

well, my whole point was I wish the Church sold lossless downloads. To charge full album price for mp3 sucks.

mikmcmee and AlienRendel like this.