Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #65)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Jan 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

Listened tonight to Decca’s first classical recording in stereo in 1954.
    Antar: Symphonic Suite
    by Rimsky-Korsakov.​
    Ernest Ansermet
    Orchestre De La Suisse Romande
    Decca, 1954

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

This reminds me of the final concert given by Toscanini that was recorded in stereo. I bought the CD a few years ago ...

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  3. coopmv

Perhaps I should check that out.

I have the following two versions ...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

[​IMG] Pulled this out and played it for the first time in years. Never issued on CD, sadly.

Joe071, ToddBD, Robin L and 1 other person like this.
  5. Scooterpiety

My favorite version, worth checking out.:
    [​IMG]

6. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

It might be making the personal attacks he often makes on the artists. For me that is a deal breaker. I definitely dislike him as a reviewer.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
    Bachtoven likes this.
  7. jukes

jukes Forum Resident

Who? Where? When?

Now that you wrote it, I can imagine they (i.e. the guys in the Crim band) were joking in the studio, while "copy-pasting" the Pt. 1, that due to some minor thematic similitude(s) they should use the word 'lark' in the name of the... well, collage. That would be nice, but somehow I severely doubt my imagination is galloping now.

8. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I understand. As I said I don't always agree with his reviews and I don't like personal attacks, whoever makes them.

The reviewer on Classics Today whose pieces I generally like is Jed Distler; he does most of the piano reviews.

9. jukes

jukes Forum Resident

It's the internet. Everything gets personal, too personal. Therefore the attacks on persons and not on the arguments. And unfortunately, an "argument" is probably quite a foreign intellectual procedure to some of the "netizens"... Specially when considering the recent European hate campaigns against on several subjects. In North America there's probably same kind of unfortunate developments.

Historically, I've relied on BBC & half-dozen German radio critics, Fono Forum, Grammophone and few Finnish music critics. Learned to know mr. Hurwitz only recently while doing some net queries. And then noticed somewhere hatred kind of attitudes.

One part of the work of the critic is to amuse & entertain, and one part of that, I think, is to drop claims that certainly will arouse some discussion. (On the the hand, one literature critic once wrote, that his job is first & foremost journalism, i.e. telling the public the recent events in the field of literature: this novel tells that kind of story, has these characters, and is written this way (the style, the structures of the narrative(s), the general form), or that book presents an argument concerning X while the phases/steps of the argument are these, and the writer critisises these & those arguments, but won't provide enough support for his own argument that has the weaknesses x, y, and z. But that's another story.)

10. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

I had that set as well. My introduction to the Brahms string quartets.

11. jukes

jukes Forum Resident

A lovely seventies cover! Those were the days... I didn't knew the Cleveland (neither Cleverland nor Celveland) Quartet started as a RCA recording artists.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
  12. john greenwood

I probably shouldn't haven't brought it up because it is hearsay. I don't know the King Crimson music. But it is mentioned in the Wikipedia article on the Vauganh Williams piece.

13. jukes

jukes Forum Resident

Visited just Russia. So... the a-Moll Trio from this download fileset:

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  14. jukes

jukes Forum Resident

Thank you! I'll study the article.

15. john greenwood

As I recall, they were the number 2 quartet (behind the Guarneri) on RCA at that time. I had a Schubert disc by them as well. "Death and the Maiden" I think.

jukes likes this.
  16. john greenwood

Started the morning with some contemporary music from the Bream box - Hans Werner Henze, Peter Maxwell Davis, Richard Rodney
    Now the Freiburgers playing C.P.E. Bach.

Mik likes this.
  17. Scooterpiety

They recorded prodigiously, including the complete Beethoven quartets, for RCA until the early 80s. As far as I know, none of their RCA recordings have ever been resissued on CD.

jukes likes this.
  18. john greenwood

Now listening to Callas in "Medea."

bluemooze likes this.
  19. john greenwood

Included in the Decca Analog box (together with the mono version)

dale 88 likes this.
  20. Walter H

Walter H Santa's Helper

Mostly these. US reissues of DG and MGM recordings, so-so pressings.
    [​IMG]
    Also have a few of these lovely German pressings.
    [​IMG]
    I had a couple Heliodor/Wergo issues, which were late 70s. Can't find a label pic for a US pressing, but the ones I had were excellent quality.

bluemooze likes this.
  21. Zafu

Zafu Cosmic Muffin

I've searched myself silly to find the source on this forum so highly recommending this.

If that person is around, please respond and any who may have comments on this, would be welcomed.

Thank you. -Zafu

[​IMG]

EasterEverywhere likes this.
  22. NorthNY Mark

NorthNY Mark Forum Resident

All I can say on this is that many years ago, when I was already a long-time fine of King Crimson, but before I regularly listened to classical music, I read somewhere that the solo violin interlude of Larks Part 1 was similar to a classical work called "The Lark Ascending." Some weeks later, while browsing in a record store, I heard violin music that instantly reminded me of that particular section of LTIA, and I pretty much knew, even before asking the store clerk, that it had to be the aforementioned "Lark Ascending."

So I don't believe it is purely a coincidence--it seems likely to me that either KC recognized the similarity to the RVW piece and that led to the title, or perhaps the title was already floating around, and that inspired David Cross to quote RVW. Given that Cross was a British violinist, it doesn't seem unlikely that he was familiar with the RVW work.

By the way, I've never seen anyone else mention this, but I recognize what strike me as some pretty remarkable similarities beteween Cross's themes during those first quiet few minutes of "Providence" and the solo violin recitative in the second movement of Shostakovich's Second String Quartet. Again, with the Fitzwilliam Quartet recordings popular in Britain at the time, it doesn't seem too far-fetched to me...

jukes and dale 88 like this.
  23. coopmv

Now playing CD3 - Timon of Athens & Dioclesian Acts I-III from the following box for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

Mik and ToddBD like this.
  24. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

This is my first Moeran disc, but it won't be the last! I really like the Symphony--has a strong Sibelius vibe--never a bad thing! (Haven't had a chance to listen to the other pieces yet.) Typical spacious Chandos sound.

[​IMG]

Mik, Fafner88 and dale 88 like this.
  25. coopmv

Now playing CD10 - Bruckner 2nd from the following box for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

Joe071 and Mik like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.