SH Spotlight 45 RPM mastering "Art Pepper Meets The Rhythm Section", one of THE greatest albums of all time.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Nov 12, 2002.

1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Is "Art Pepper Meets The Rhythm Section" one of THE greatest jazz albums of all time?

...It sure sounded like that to me this morning when I threaded up the analog master tape at AcousTech Mastering.

Both Kevin Gray and I actually froze in our tracks when the music started. Such beautiful natural tone on all the instruments. Such a clean, yet warm and dynamic recording. Engineer Roy Du Nann at his best.

Recorded in early 1957 in the mail/stock room of Contemporary Records on a portable octal tubed Ampex 350-2. That very reel of tape, surviving to this day, sounding just as amazing as it must have back then during that first playback.

Both Kevin and I were so used to hearing this album bathed in added echo, that it was quite a thrill to just hear the "room" for a change. Wonderful, actually. And we cut it that way for the Analogue Productions two-disc 45 RPM version; just like the tape actually sounds; adding nothing.

And I guess the actual recording session back in 1957 was pretty crazy, with Miles Davis' Rhythm Section in L.A. for a few gigs with Miles (Red Garland, "Philly" Joe Jones and Paul Chambers). Lester Koenig, the founder of Contemporary wanted Art Pepper to record with these guys, but Art was going through some, er, problems at the time, so the session plan was kept secret from him until the last minute. They didn't want to freak him out, as he had not been playing for several months. Even Art's horn was screwed up, unplayable actually.

However, on the session day, Art taped up his horn with some masking tape, licked his reed and plowed right in. The result was this great album. The most important of his career.

I don't think you've heard it until you hear this new 45 RPM version of "Art Pepper Meets The Rhythm Section; faithful to the stereo master tapes in every way.

Too bad all mastering sessions can't be this fun....I actually can't wait to hear this puppy again!

mgb70, JeffreyB, jfeldt and 13 others like this.
  2. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue.

Sounds like a day where it's great to do what you do. :cool:

Grootna likes this.
  3. Steve Hoffman

Oh yes. I'm still really blown away by it. Can you tell? :)

You know I've heard that album possibly 100 times, but I really heard it for the first time today.

A W E S O M E ! !

Grootna, kt66brooklyn and jupiterboy like this.
  4. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue.

Yes it shows!
    I'm a headhunter so I notice career matches. It sounds like you have one of those rare jobs where you can live your dreams.
    Not to go overboard, every job has its frustrations but today sounds great!

5. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

I agree that it IS one of the greatest! What a session! I have the MoFi and the XRCD...gosh I wish you were laying this one down on SACD. Can you you beg 'em for me! :)

Enjoy!

6. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

One of my all-time favourite jazz albums too. I have a soft-spot for the square pegs who don't quite fit in round holes, and a lot of sympathy for Art Pepper.

I don't have the XRCD but I do have a K2 version, and I've always enjoyed that CD. I also have the Doug Sax mastered SACD by Analogue Productions. I haven't opened this one yet, but this thread is pushing me towards doing so.

Alex, I thought you'd have the SACD by now.

Regards,
    Geoff

7. Claus

Claus Senior Member

In my opinion... a very good Jazz record, but it doesn't belong to the greatest records!

8. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

Is Steve's remaster ONLY for the 45 RPM edition? Or did he remaster the other versions on the Acoustic Sounds website? (180 Gram LP, Hybrid Stereo SACD, and the LP Test Pressing)

Thanks!

9. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

Metralla...it must have been one that slipped by. Was this one of the last batch of releases? Since I am not set up with a TT I'll probably order this one soon.

10. Mattb

Mattb Senior Member

Geoff,

When you do open it, would you please post a review for us?

Thanks!

11. jkerr

jkerr Senior Member

Looks like this will be a real treat!

Hopefully the first 2 will be shipping soon (Bill Evans Waltz for Debby & Miles Davis Relaxin'). Acoustic Sounds website just says November, no specific date.

12. Mike V

Mike V New Member

I've been checking my doorstep daily. The anticipation is a killer! :cool:

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  13. Steve Hoffman

I only did the 45 RPM edition.

Doug Sax did the 33 1/3 RPM LP for Analogue Productions (back in 1992) and the SACD.

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  14. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

Guess I'll have to lay down the 50 bones for the 45 RPM edition. Thanks Steve!

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  15. Mike V

Mike V New Member

Steve,

Is Roy aware of the 45rpm project and your involvement? He must get such a lift knowing his work gives veterans like you a buzz :cool:

Mike

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  16. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

:rolleyes: Forgive my relative ignorance, fellas, but where's the best site to get the 45rpm vinyl? And does the Guaraldi have a release date yet?

ED:cool:

17. Mike V

Mike V New Member

Ed, go to acousticsounds.com

They're the outfit backing this project! Same with the CCR vinyl Steve cut.

18. jkerr

jkerr Senior Member

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  19. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Mike and Jeff,

Thanks for the info and links. I get lost easily, ya know:p

ED:cool:

20. Monsieur Gadbois

Monsieur Gadbois Senior Member

I own the original 7" Contemporary 2-track 7 1/2 ips reel tape, it sounded great coming out the Ampex 351.
    I wonder how that sound compares to the master tape......

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  21. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Kiss-up follows:

I have practically every jazz CD Steve has worked on. What he can do with the sound of horns is stunning. His work on these discs has increased my enjoyment and appreciation of this music more than words can describe. Frankly, if Steve decided to JUST do jazz albums I wouldn't complain :D

22. teaser5

teaser5 Cool Rockin' Daddy

Art Pepper

Have any of you guys ever read his autobiography? I have had it in my hands a couple of time but figured that it would be disturbing. He had quite a life with many ups and downs. I am tempted to get that book now. Any suggestions?
    Best
    Norm

23. nin

nin Forum Resident

Great news Steve!!! I can't wait to hear the first 45 RPM vinyls!! I think I was nr 146. If these are sooooo good as they sound when you talk about them, hell I even buy one extra of each titles...as a party record! :D

24. Steve Hoffman

Interesting. I'd like to hear this sometime.

Here is a quick way to tell if this is made from a copy of the master, or a copy of the EQ cutting master.

Listen to the "rhythm" channel only (should be the right channel); in other words, the channel without the saxophone in it. The music should be dry as a bone, no echo. AND there should be no echo bleed through from the saxophone channel when the sax is soloing.

If your tape is as described above, it's origin is the original two-track master.....If not, it's from the later generation "wet" EQ cutting master: This tape has added "stereo" type echo, and when the sax solos on the left channel, it's echo shows up on the right channel as well.

25. Monsieur Gadbois

Monsieur Gadbois Senior Member

Thanks for the tips Steve, I sure like to find that out.
    Also, are these original non-EQ tapes hard to come by? I always thought the original 2-track tape with 7 1/2 ips were direct dubs of the masters......I got lots original 2-track tape from the 50's and even some master dub 10" reel @15 ips that I collect over the years.

Cheers,
    Mike:D