A nifty turntable that I've been playing with, the Thorens TD-160 "Super" repro from Vinyl Nirvana..

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Steve Hoffman, Jun 4, 2014.

1. ddarch

ddarch Senior Member

Love Mullards too...

Pomodori likes this.
  2. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

What kind of tubes do you use in your Leben RS-30EQ? I recently put in NOS military-grade Mullards (which can be had for cheap in 12AU7) and find them a perfect match. Of course, I bought mine second hand and it had RFT tubes vs. the factory JAN tubes, so I have a different baseline.

3. Pomodori

Pomodori Well-Known Member

I've not done any tube rolling with The RS-30EQ. Did you replace all three tubes? Nice to know about the cheaper Mullards for this phono. I'm thoroughly impressed with the Mullards for the integrated amp. When I purchased the CS300XS I almost immediately swapped the quad Sovtek EL84s for some NOS Philips EL84s and the change was readily evident, going from fast, bright and almost solid-state to a softer sound, but some artists still sounded harsh, Nina Simone in particular. I didn't even really think about changing the driver tubes; but about a week ago I replaced the two "driver" Sovteks with some Mullard 12AX7A and it's made all the difference. Not only is the warm tubey feel present, the depth and sound stage have arrived. I've always toyed with replacing my harbeth monitors because I thought they were too small for my room but they suddenly come alive, like they finally got the quality of current they needed. There's a reason why vintage Mullard tubes are sought after, and I get why.

4. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

My first proper turntable the 160 loved it , my friend is still playing it. but the LP12 was so much better.
    Maybe it was the clunky TP16 tonearm, same cartridge, just was not in the same ball game.

Ghostworld likes this.
  5. Pomodori

Pomodori Well-Known Member

The TD160 Super solved the tonearm issue. My Jelco SA 750/DL103 combo has worked well.

ddarch likes this.
  6. ddarch

ddarch Senior Member

What arm is on your Linn?

I respect your opinion, but I disagree the stock TP-16 arm is clunky. It's actually pretty elegant and fully functional in terms of adjustment. Now the AR XA...that's a clunky arm...still capable of decent playback, but clunky looking all the same with little adjustment.

Dave

SandAndGlass, PGB and Pomodori like this.
  7. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

Not is but rather was, this was in the 80s. The arm was the Ittok the cartridge Ortofon VMS30 later AT moving coil.
    I had both turntables for some time and kept swapping cartridges, as you do, in every case I felt the Linn worked better for me.
    Not knocking the Thorens in any way, I had mine for ten years and as I say my mate still uses it, a nice bit of kit.
    Maybe clunky was the wrong word, it just seems a bit crude, and if I remember rightly most Mags. at the time suggested changing the arm, the only thing that let it down.

Gasman1003 likes this.
  8. shutdown66

shutdown66 Forum Resident

Hello, which cart do you have put on the arm?
    Thank you.

PGB likes this.
  9. Gasman1003

Gasman1003 Forum Diplomat.

"And God created SME.... " :righton:

royzak2000 likes this.
  10. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

I've had lots of cartridges but I think the Sumiko Special EVO may have been my favorite match. Tracked beautifully and sounded extraordinary. Unfortunately I've decided it's too delicate to survive in my house. I've had good luck with an Ortofon Blue and right now a Denon DL 110.

The arm is fairly forgiving. I did not care for the Auto Technical ATOC 9. It tracked like a mother but it was way too bright in my set up. Grados are good with the arm but they tend to hum on the Thorens.

You can try out a lot of cartridges in 30+ years.:)

11. pez

pez Forum Resident

Wow. They are beautiful!!! And I will likely never have the spare cash to enjoy such a diamond of a turntable...but a man can still dream

ddarch likes this.
  12. Thorensman

Thorensman Forum Resident

Recent convert to thorens turntables. The decks and arms in my humble are superb. Had a linn, Ittok, asak.
    The thorens simply fo it for me. They costs peanuts. Thats the rub, if something is too inexpensive people don,t rate them. They are missing out on the bargain of the century!

13. Gretsch6136

Gretsch6136 Forum Resident

I love my TD160 Super!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

The arm is the weakest link on my TD160 but I'm sentimentally attached to it. I'm sure Vinyl Nirvana could maximize my deck's potential.

15. Thorensman

When you use the analogue dept, or Thorens Dept and read up on these arms its interesting, as many of their arms did not conform to Baerwald or any other idea but someone from thorens its changes your appreciation of them.
    Once you obtain the necessary jig, for setting up,the correct shims and screws
    The arms show their worth.
    The fitting of correct belt( usually 165mm folded in half) that helps the correct operation of the suspension and keeps the transmission of rumble to a minimum, that you realise what goes on with these decks.

ddarch likes this.
  16. Burt

Burt Forum Resident

Yes, but then again, He can afford them.

17. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

Dino and ddarch like this.
  18. Thorensman

What can you lose. It's absolutely gorgeous yet a worth while improvement over an aleady excellent turntable.
    This kit tidies and finished off the job. Time and time again i find that attention to detail on thorens decks rewards one greatly.
    I have a TD 150 mk1 running the stock arm and V15 mk3. Maybe I will do the same.

ddarch likes this.
  19. Jayson Wall

Jayson Wall Forum Resident

Last week my Christmas gift that I bought for myself arrived from Dave: TD-125 Long Base with SME M2-12R and 2M Bronze cart. Simply superb sounding going directly into the Fisher 800-C.....very happy, even my wife loves the looks and the sound of the TD-125, so that's a HUGE plus!! Here's a few so-so pictures of the TD-125 from my iPhone (on the table is a Mono DJ pressing of Sinatra/Jobin album)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

20. JJerm80

JJerm80 Forum Resident

Just finished setting up a late Christmas gift to myself (pics to come soon). @ddarch put together a TD-160 Super for me with Rega 202 arm and 2m Blue cart. Currently running into a fully recapped Marantz 2245. Just a pure, beautiful sound coming from this table. Easily bests the Micro Seiki direct drive I was running. The table itself is gorgeous, and I know this will be the last table I will ever need, one I can pass down many years from now. Thank you Dave for such great work and for making the process as smooth as possible. I can't imagine a better experience. Now if there was just more time in the day to play more records.

Pomodori and ddarch like this.
  21. Vinyl Sean

Vinyl Sean Active Member

Hello people, new member here with my first post, can anybody give me advice on choosing a new cartridge , I have a Thorens TD 160 super with the mission 774 John Bicht original currently fitted with an ortofon vms 20e mrk 11 , A great set up in the eighties.
    I would be looking at either mm or mc £300 maximum . would a AT440 mlb or Denon dl 110 be suitable. The 774 is low mass arm so the advice in the eighties was to go with high compliance cartridges, I don't know if this is the right place to ask this question but I have been following this thread for a few months and the members here seem very knowlegable regarding TD160's etc . Ive had this set up from new and it was put in storage for about 15 years, CD's taking over and then I saw the light! just joking as I have a pretty good cd set up, but i'm so glad the vinyl revival has happened I had forgotten how much I had missed it..

22. thommo

thommo Senior Member

Morning Sean.

A Shure cartridge sporting a SAS stylus is my default recommendation in the light arm / high compliance arena. You can get one of the "35" range brand new for about £45 or so, and then a SAS stylus direct from Jico in Japan for roughly £90 or so.

Go here to listen to one playing "History Repeating" by Propellerheads: http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/post-your-needledrops-part-8.401997/page-14#post-13790654

It's unprocessed, so should give you some idea of what that relatively inexpensive combo can do.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2016
    smartiepants and Gasman1003 like this.
  23. Gasman1003

My SME arm wasn't too expensive 35 years ago, it can't have been I was a student.

I love Thorens, I have had my TD 160 since 1980, bought with the SME arm, and it is used every day.

I have no experience of the Thorens arm as I bought mine without arm, but with the SME fixing plate - provided by Thorens from the factory. That must tell you something, no?:shrug:

24. Gasman1003

Hi Sean,

I have a TD 160 with SME 3009 arm.

3 years ago I bought an Ortofon 2M Bronze cartridge - superb, retails for about £285.

The nice thing is that it is the same body as the phenomenal 2M Black cartridge and stylus exchange is just so easy.

I replaced with a Black stylus at time of first stylus change - never looked back since.

Good luck in your search.

Ortofon 2M Bronze MM (Moving Magnet) Cartridge - FREE UK DELIVERY »

Ortofon 2M Black MM (Moving Magnet) Cartridge - FREE UK DELIVERY »

SandAndGlass and thommo like this.
  25. ddarch

ddarch Senior Member

The Ortofon OM-series is a better compliance match than the 2M...still sellers on eBay with complete OM_20s and OM_30s...or you can buy an OM-10 and then upgrade the stylus...which is what I have to do as a dealer. However, it's awesome that Ortofon still supports this series, knowing it's a great match for low mass arm needs.