What's your favorite piece of absurd music trivia?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BroJB, Jun 6, 2016.

1. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I love the fact that Miles also liked Scritti Politti!

2. Where there's a will, there's a way.

3. Tanx

Tanx Forum Resident

Love this. I'm a massive Bowie fan, too. And I found out a very similar fact recently. I can't believe it took me this long to stumble upon it.

A certain song was being written at perhaps the exact time I was born. Would you like to know that song?

"(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction."

Sorry. :D

4. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

When Lefty Frizzell was on stage in Saginaw, Michigan, the town mayor surprised him on stage by going to present him with a silver hammer in recognition of his song Saginaw, Michigan, Lefty in fear of an attack by a stranger with a weapon got the mayor in a headlock and wrestled him to the ground.

5. Voxbox

Voxbox Well-Known Member

Spinal Tap never did the fear of assination thing ... if they did, this would be it.

6. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

David Bowie's "Major Tom" character was named after the father of former UK Prime Minister, John Major.

Guitar and Bass on Eminem's "My Name Is" were played by lovable Cockney pub rockers Chas 'n Dave.

7. The main thing was he just looked too old, given that he was also balding.

8. Duke Fame

Duke Fame Sold out the Enormodome

Donnie Iris keyboardist Marc Avsec became a copyright lawyer because he was sued frivolously for the song "Ah! Leah!" He won the lawsuit but lost all of the royalties paying for his defense.

9. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Add Huddle Ledbetter and Charles Manson and you've got 20/20 by The Beach Boys

10. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

One for our Scottish members,

Alex Harvey and Sidney Devine were in a band together!

Also no members of Big Country were actually born in Scotland.

11. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

Bad teeth, apparently.

12. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Part of Bowie's deal with RCA mean they had to buy his previous two albums from Mercury give them to Bowie and lease them back from him. Tony Defries was the Tom Parker of his day.

13. CxgVxc

CxgVxc Active Member

Moon and Cass died in Harry Nilsson's London flat. He sold it to Pete Townshend after Moon died.

14. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

8 track cassettes were originally developed by the Learjet corporation. Actually just to make it even more music related Roger Miller (King of the Road, etc) used to use Learjets like most people use a taxi.

Gratefully Deadicated likes this.
  15. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I know how he feels. :)

Sean and Keith V like this.
  16. Drotz1

Drotz1 Forum Resident

maybe all the Monkeys's moms? :)

Gratefully Deadicated and Meddle like this.
  17. Mr Sam

Mr Sam "...don't look so good no more"

XTC's loss (maybe he would've continued working with Andy?), but this is by far my favourite "what-if" rock story ever.

18. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

If he had gotten in, would "For What It's Worth" have been a Monkees song? Or would Don Kirshner have forbidden them to record such a "subversive" song? It's my guess that Stills would have joined in with Michael Nesmith in rebelling against Kirshner and insisting on more creative freedom.

19. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

According to California police records, Manson couldn't have auditioned for the Monkees because he was serving 2 years (1965-1967) in San Quentin for parole violation. The Monkees' auditions took place in 1966. However, Micky Dolenz insisted that Manson was there.

20. DaveinMA

DaveinMA Some guy

21. DaveinMA

DaveinMA Some guy

I liked my version better. ;)

22. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I also wonder if Dave, Richard, & Nick came to deciding to ask him after listening to The Dukes Of Stratosphere!
    There's so many "Syd-isms" on that record that they MAY have thought, "THIS could be a good match!"

23. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

Actually, Jennings just gave up his seat on the plane to the Big Bopper who had a cold and didn't want it to get worse from riding on the bus. As for who "lost" the coin toss to Richie Valens, it's a point of contention to this day between Dion and Tommy Allsup. Allsup's story sounds more plausible to me. Then there was the part where Buddy Holly jokingly yelled to Waylon, "I hope that damn bus freezes up again!" Waylon jokingly replied, "Well, I hope your plane crashes!"

24. keefer1970

keefer1970 Metal, Movies, Beer!

Joey Ramone wrote "The KKK Took My Baby Away" about Johnny Ramone, who'd stolen Joey's girlfriend Linda (and later married her).

Legend has it that Johnny never quite "got" that the song was about him and Linda, so Joey got a measure of revenge when the song became a set list staple and Johnny had to play it every night :D

25. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

Roy Bittan plays on two quite famous songs titled Tunnel Of Love (Dire Straits and Bruce Springsteen).