Schiit Audio (Mike Moffat) designs turntable

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Thouston, Jul 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thouston

Thouston Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. DrZhivago

DrZhivago Hedonist

Promising Schiit.

3. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

Looks nice, Not crazy about the arm. Seems even more wobbly than the VPI 9". What kind of suspension/isolation? Nice little teaser, but really not many details.

ls35a likes this.
  4. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock

Just glad they didn't call it The Schiiter.

5. inperson

inperson Senior Member

Find a way to dampen the arm with some silicon and it won't wobble.

6. dmckean

dmckean Forum Resident

I've played with this prototype (it's currently at their retail store) and the arm is fine. It wobbles less than a VPI arm or my current Wand unipivot arm.

7. inperson

inperson Senior Member

What's their price point?

8. dmckean

dmckean Forum Resident

They don't know where it will end up yet but they're aiming for somewhere between the cost of their Bitfrost DAC ($399) and their Gungnir DAC ($849).

Anywhere within that price range will be insane for a turntable of this quality. The table is very quiet with very little backround noise, think VPI Prime level of quiet.

9. Ulises

Ulises Forum Resident

Have read rumors of a speed controller as well, which would be amazing given their engineering chops. I think there is real opportunity to disrupt the turntable market at this price point and will likely grab one of these.

displayname and patient_ot like this.
  10. dmckean

dmckean Forum Resident

Hopefully if they do the speed controller they'll give it features to make it compatible with more than just their own tables. There's a big hole in the market now that Phoenix Engineering is gone.

11. bajaed

bajaed Forum Resident

If it sounds great in that price range, they better be ready to make a bunch of them.

What a cool company.

12. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

It should be able to do 78rpm and be easy to mount your tonearm of choice. They could sell armless versions too. But I'm just throwing ideas out there in case these threads are being monitored :)

McLover and Mr. Explorer like this.
  13. bajaed

bajaed Forum Resident

At that price, an extra arm probably wont be too much. Would be nice to have a mono cart on the extra arm you could drop in when you wanted.

PatBateman86, AlmanacZinger and Shawn like this.
  14. dmckean

dmckean Forum Resident

The column for the invipivot is integrated into the plinth (it's all one solid piece of cast aluminium).

Or a conical to play 45s or just a cheaper cart to keep some hours off the one your splurged and paid too much for.

McLover likes this.
  15. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

I've seen some other images of the Schiit table/arm on the web. This is only a prototype, but shows some very promising features with easy arm adjustments. Very impressive for a "first try". I'm looking forward to seeing the production version.

displayname likes this.
  16. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

Yes please.

Stone Turntable likes this.
  17. chahooa

chahooa Forum Resident

I've had good customer service from them, but would have no reason to think others haven't...

I'm curious why peopme think it would be under $1000. It looks like more table than $1000 would buy to me, but I don't know anything.

I would just find that price to be pretty low, which would be great, of course :)

18. russk

russk Forum Resident

I can't imagine, especially is it includes a speed control, that it could come in under a grand. Hope they do though. Also found his cartridge recommendations interesting.

Leonthepro likes this.
  19. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

As far as I know, many (if not all) of their products can be upgraded. I can easily see the basic table being under $800.00 then a speed controller would be another $???.??, arm upgrade and or counterweight would be another $???.??, then add in a better platter and so on. It's a formula that seems to work well for them.

This could be interesting!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2017
    Mr. Explorer likes this.
  20. Cockroach

Cockroach Well-Known Member

Now that's some good Schiit!

Probably a little too rich for my blood, though.

21. dmckean

dmckean Forum Resident

Schiit engineers all their products to be inexpensive but high performing(they pretty much have to since they manufacture everything in the USA and compete with products made in China). They also only sell direct which further keeps their prices low. I understand that to keep the turntable price down they also may go a step further and do some of the metal work in house.

22. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock

Wow, they would dominate at that kind of price range, assuming a truly good-sounding TT. :)

There's currently a major hole in the TT market at around $500, where stepping up from the $200-300 entry-level stuff doesn't seem to get you all that much sonically (hence the eternal recommendation to buy a Technics 1200 used).

And there's a further opportunity in that some of the major competition in that range is a $325 'table in the UK that costs nearly $500 in the US due to taxes and levies and such. Plenty of opportunity to outperform such a 'table with a $500-ish US-made product, assuming good engineering.

I wish Moffat & Co. luck. The US market definitely desperately needs a killer $500 'table. .:thumbsup:

Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
  23. SpeedMorris

SpeedMorris Forum Resident

Simultaneously thrilling and disappointing. A potential price-performance killer, but probably not idiot friendly, and it looks like it may take up a relatively high ampunt of real estate.

24. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

"Not idiot friendly" shouldn't be a knock IMO. It's analog and to offer the end user the tools they need to dial it in as best as possible, it needs to be flexible and allow for all sorts of adjustment. If it does that, it'll be a good thing, not a bad thing. A newb has all the resources they need at their fingertips these days. I was new a year and a half ago and was dialing in everything, including playing with customized arc protractors (and understanding them) within a month. I get what you're saying but I'm in the camp that you cannot make a great belt-drive turntable idiot-proof. With all that said, I am just about to watch the video so there is that, lol.

:)

Merrick, SpeedMorris, dmckean and 5 others like this.
  25. dmckean

dmckean Forum Resident

The arm is what really impressed me. I've used a lot of unipivot arms and it's really well thought out. It has a very clever and simple azimuth adjustment and the tonarm weight won't bump azimuth out of alignment when you adjust it. This makes setting it up a lot simpler than other unipivot arms.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.