Can MOFI sleeves damage the record?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by oddyad, Sep 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oddyad

oddyad Active Member Thread Starter

Hello! I want to replace my whole collection with Mofi sleeves but I keep reading about some dangerous inner sleeves that can ruin the record that are under the name "PVC".
    Do these Mofi records have the same materials as the PVC? Can the MOFI do the same damage as the PVC's?
    I would like to know that its 100% safe. Thanks a lot!

2. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I have a variety of sleeves. Paper, poly lined paper, Mofi, and Disckeeper. They all work about the same. The Mofi sleeves do not damage my records. I am careful when removing records not to drag the edge of the sleeve across the grooves.

I am not sure of the exact formula used for the sleeves, but it is not damaging my records.

3. Larry I

Larry I Senior Member

There are some plastic sleeves that have a tendency to stick to records and leave a stain on the surface. I don't know about actually ruining the record. Harder plastic can also leave minor scratches on the surface, which is why Tullman mentioned being careful not to drag the edge across the grooves. But, even if you do get scratches, it is only on the very top surface and should not affect play. I like plastic or plastic-lined sleeves that cover the label area but still allows one to read the label.

All Down The Line and Joseph like this.
  4. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

They are made out of high-density polyethylene per the MoFi website.

LoveYourLife likes this.
  5. Larry I

Larry I Senior Member

Polyethylene, so it is particularly apt for use with a copy of Abbey Road.

6. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Not this again. Hmm new poster with one post to credit - I wonder if this is a Mofi competitor?

I use them and will continue to use them. All the records that I wash get the Mofi sleeve.

Clonesteak and timztunz like this.
  7. colby2415

colby2415 Forum Resident

same here. I remember hearing something about the sleeves causing scratches cause of some particles or something. I had no problem with this and still continue to use the mofi sleeves. Maybe I am just lucky? I think mo-fi makes good sleeves.

dbsea likes this.
  8. Vinylsoul 1965

Vinylsoul 1965 Senior Member

The MOFI sleeve is the only sleeve I will use for freshly cleaned records. In my mind still the best option. A while back there was a bad batch of sleeves that left a white film on the records but they corrected that issue very quickly. They also replaced all of my defective sleeves. Buy with confidence and no, I don't work for MOFI.

McGuy and dbsea like this.
  9. I've been using MoFi sleeves for a few years now. They're way better than nearly anything a record already is packaged in, in my opinion. I'm pretty sure the National Archives stores their LPs in them—and that's for permanent record.

As long as you don't use their short-lived inner emery board edition sleeves, I think your LPs will survive for generations.

Bloomchild likes this.
  10. I am a big fan of MoFi's releases, but I do not like their inner sleeves. My experience with many MoFi albums is that the inner sleeves tend to charge the records with static electricity, which makes it especially hard to remove the records from their inner sleeves. Because static electricity attracts particles in the air, the accumulation of foreign matter in these sleeves possibly could damage the records when they are slid in and out.
    I prefer new, clean, white paper sleeves. I've never had a problem. Unless the records are dirty or something falls into the sleeve, nothing which can damage a record will be in them. Paper sleeves do not create static electricity and will not attract foreign matter.

kronning and AaronW like this.
  11. teag

teag Forum Resident

The MOFI sleeves are really good as stated by many. I use them whenever a record is received without an audiophile sleeve.

dbsea likes this.
  12. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Yes, they cause hairline scratches. The plastic is too abrasive and over time, it will look pretty bad. If you aren't bothered about them, then they are fine. Otherwise, I would just go for a standard poly sleeve.

13. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Impossible. I just stuck my hand into one and smooth as silk both sides. Just not going to happen.

RJPDX likes this.
  14. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

It impossible to remove it without any part of the sleeve touching the record...lmao...and Ive posted photos on here of what these sleeves do. The standard poly sleeves Ive used are much better. People only buy these cos they look nice and they think they are buying something 'audiophile'...it's just blind loyalty. Might aswell tip your money down the drain.

People even excused the white film debacle...should never have happened!

VinylSoul likes this.
  15. Vinylsoul 1965

Vinylsoul 1965 Senior Member

I have NEVER had issues with static electricity NOR have I experienced hairline scracthes with MOFI sleeves. Blind loyalty? I think not. Rich, feel free to repost your photos here in this thread.

Bloomchild, MGW, mark_j and 8 others like this.
  16. Firehead

Firehead Forum Resident

Ive bought two packs in the past two years. The first was exactly what i expected from mofi. The second pack seemed to be smaller and unevenly cut which resulted in a very tight fit on my records. I then tired disckeeper and have not been impressed. I clean every record i get with a RCM before play. The record disckeeper sleeves made my records look dirty i even found a cat hair in one. I think ill go back to mofi seleeves. I never had a static issues or powdery film problem just the tight fit.

17. HenryH

HenryH Miserable Git

No.

Tourswede likes this.
  18. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

My experience exactly, I never bought these aftermarket but the ones that came on MFSL records I bought (Sinatra and Dead Can Dance) had crazy static cling, right out of the jacket. I actually laughed out loud since they have "Anti Static" printed right on the top but the sleeves clung to the record surface like crazy, making it impossible to remove the record without it rubbing against the surface of the record.

Matt Starr likes this.
  19. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Just look at the old thread. I don't have them on my phone anymore as I posted about a year ago. Seriously, you guys are obviously conscious enough to buy these sleeves to try and keep your records in shape but not conciliatory enough to see the hairlines....crazy!

20. Remote Control Triangle

Remote Control Triangle Forum Member Rated 6.8 By Pitchfork

No. PVC sleeves are a completely different thing entirely.

21. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

I meant conscious not conciliatory....damn auto correct!! :laugh:

22. daytona600

daytona600 Forum Resident

Used countless Mofi inners for decades & no problems

fish, 99khan, caracallac and 3 others like this.
  23. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

I think this problem exists amongst a number of these type of sleeves. Anyone experienced those 'clear bags' used by RTI? Those things are even worse for leaving scrape marks...

24. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I just don't understand how you are getting scrape marks, unless you are running the edge of the sleeve over the record. I have many MOFI sleeves and have not seen scratches on my records.

RJPDX, IanL and rebellovw like this.
  25. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Ive seen them on many LPs with these types of sleeves. Do you have any QRP sleeves? They are worse...

Look in the deadwax, this is where hairlines and scrapes from the sleeves start to appear...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.