Neil Young Launches Online Archives (1st December 2017)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Defrance, Aug 4, 2017.

1. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

This deserves my excitement and not my cynicism right now...Can't wait!

2. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

It apparently will be very similar to the Archives Bluray/DVD interface, judging from those three pictures posted on the official website:

Neil Young Archives Note

Neil Young Archives Note

Neil Young Archives Note

rockclassics and oneway23 like this.
  3. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident

4. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident

[​IMG]

melstapler and Zeki like this.
  5. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

You mean:
    Oh my my hey hey ... ;)

kBear, forthlin, Mr-Beagle and 2 others like this.
  6. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

What else is there to say except...

DAMN!

7. beasandpeans

beasandpeans Forum Resident

Would be keen. I suspect he means only albums he's released, not the archives.

8. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Streaming only?

9. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

Confusing. In that Note, Neil says the Archive will represent every track he's ever produced (?) Then goes on to say we will have access to everything he's ever released. Does this mean the unreleased tracks are not available to hear, but just documented?

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  10. boboquisp

boboquisp Magic Prism Eyes

Exciting news. Hope it's everything we could want and more. Time will tell...

11. DrAftershave

DrAftershave A Wizard, A True Star

I can't shake this feeling that Archives Vol. 1 was solely created/released as a sampler/fundraiser for this "Definitive" online Archive project because doing all of this was not cheap, especially if it's been in the pipeline for so long. Money has to be coming in from somewhere. Wouldn't also be surprised if the box was also put out to buy time with the copyright laws and beat any chance of the earlier unreleased material falling into public domain by inducing new copyrights until the online Archive was ready.

12. AZRunner

AZRunner Forum Resident

I have to admit I’m a bit concerned about the word “released.”

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  13. matt79rome89

matt79rome89 Forum Resident

Exactly. I was extremely excited until re-reading that key term. Hope it’s more than what has been released but doubt it, at least for Dec 1

14. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Great news.
    How will the streaming work related to audio resolution? Depending on how fast my web connection is?

15. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

Yes, it will be adaptive bit-rate streaming with the quality varying depending upon your connection speed in a given location.

16. Vinyl Socks

Vinyl Socks The Buzz Driver

Quite possibly...although, Neil reserves that right to do so.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  17. Vinyl Socks

Here's another problem: If this is Ora-stream only...how will people like me get to listen? I own a 6th gen iPod Touch...which means I can only stream via wi-fi at home or somewhere with free wi-fi (which means slow...slow...slow)...
    I have 1600 tracks on my iPod. I work out with this device. Will I have to go without Archive high-res downloads? Is this going to really be "streaming-only"?
    I use VLC media player on my iPod for high-resolution FLAC files. And yes, it sounds MUCH better than the iTunes and Apple Music files.

I think within a few months we will have the choice to buy HD Tracks of this stuff, because Neil learned before that you cannot sustain a business by 'squishing' people into a certain player, device, format, website or whatever....
    You just gotta give it to them in an easily-purchased way...we'll but the dang thing!

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
    Mr. Explorer likes this.
  18. Sigma6

Sigma6 Forum Resident

Odd post, you call for a thread free of speculation. Then in your next two sentences you start speculating?

19. beasandpeans

beasandpeans Forum Resident

Woah. Stop speculating about other people's complaints about other people speculating, buddy.

20. My understanding from Neil's notes is that the Archives will have links to everything he has ever released.The unreleased stuff will be noted on the Timeline although in what detail I can't say.It will become playable when it is released like Hitchhiker.Of course the sample timeline displayed was from the Volume 1 time period and only listed albums released during that period and not Fillmore,Massey Hall etc so who knows.

21. Heart of Gold

Heart of Gold Forum Resident

Clearly only the released stuff is going to be included. It will be a great place to get the documentation about every single song released and some hints about the unreleased albums.

vertigone likes this.
  22. Vinyl Socks

A.) Aren't we allowed to change our minds?

B.) 93% of this thread is speculation, so far...so I threw in a valid thought (that no one else mentioned any way -- is the new Archive going to be streaming -only or will there be downloads for those of us who might have an iPod but are not tethered to a mobile network via a smartphone?)

C.) Enjoy your Saturday evening...hopefully it turns around for you.

D.) Almost forgot...make sure you chastise everyone who speculates from now on. However, with your incisive comments, the speculation is sure to cease immediately :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::D:D:p:p

I'll check back on this thread in a week and see how that's going! :wave:

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
  23. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

I think I've already purchased almost everything he's ever released. And I don't do streaming. It's gonna take more to get me interested...

24. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

Where’s that guy who posts the pic of W. C. Fields? We need him now! :yikes:

bonus likes this.
  25. VatiBobo

VatiBobo A Scotsman in Canada

I am also intrigued by this part of the statement: "I will be going to my town. You will be able to hear me and see me". Kinda sounds like he may be going back to Canada (Toronto/Manitoba/Omemee?). I wonder if he will have a show or some kind of event on that date. I may be reading too much into it, but it doesn't read like he's just going to be chilling in his house.