Tube Resellers - Risky

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Funky54, Dec 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Funky54

Funky54 Coat Hangers do not sound good Thread Starter

A little update.

I received a call from the tube seller that I returned the tubes to. Same fellow. This time he was polite and fair. He tested all 8 tubes and infact felt non of the tubes meet his level of quality. He said there were some things that didn’t hold up well with extra extensive testing.

We worked out a deal that I’m happy with for tungsol 34b tubes in place of the JJ tubes. I have not received them.. but I hope they work out alright. They are paying shipping to me with the new ones.

2. Funky54

Another update.

I installed the 8 tung sol EL34b tubes and have about 5-6 hours on them so far. So far, they sound boxy and veiled compared to the worn out old original jolida branded tubes. But they likely need to burn in longer. Also... they stink like boiling mercury.

I do think/hope its just the burn in needed. They glow even and seem like a quality product. I already reset the bias twice.. hardly any fluctuation.

billnunan likes this.
  3. Funky54

Well this has been an expensive disappointment.

I’m not liking the tongsol el34b tubes at all. I’m at about 30-40 hours... hard to know for sure. Boxy and dull. The old original worn out Jolida tubes were better.

In truth and this is disappointing to say, I think so far the best sound has been the SS Outlaw Theater amp with the Perseus tube pre. It is very detailed and holographic... while a tad bright.

4. Encore

Encore Forum Resident

I'm with you here--without decent tubes, tube sound may be less than glorious and good SS gear may be preferable.

5. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

Sorry you’re having problems. I too have a Jolida amp and after 7 years just replaced the stock tubes. I got a quad of Tesla El34s and a quad of Sovtek 12Ax7s from Quicksilver audio. They arrived 2 days after placing the order and so far sound great. They paid for expedited shipping when I told them I was going out of town.

djost likes this.
  6. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

I buy tubes from large supplies like www.vacuumtubes.net or IERC in Orlando, FA. They will take any tubes back, but at times may not have the audio tubes you are looking for. I had good luck on ebay of all places too.

7. BrentB

BrentB Urban Angler

That is like a car lot saying "We have sold thousands of cars and NEVER had a problem with any of them". It is not a perfect world and s**t happens.

8. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Good EL34's are expensive, and needing 8 of them is kind of a killer. Its hard to suggest you spend $600+ on RFTs or the like. I definitely agree anybody who needs 100 watts should be going solid state.

9. robertk

robertk Forum Resident

And if he makes a suggestion to you--after you tell him your equipment and musical tastes---take the advice and purchase what he says. Everytime.

T'mershi Duween likes this.
  10. Guildx500

Guildx500 Forum Resident

The Teslas are great and so is Mike’s price on them. I would go that route for EL34s. My experience with Tube Store has been okay but not overwhelming. Tube Depot made me pay for return shipping on a bad 12AX7 so it’s not just a Canadian thing. My purchases from Kevin Deal and Brent Jesse have gone well.

djost likes this.
  11. Standingstones

Standingstones Forum Resident

You might look into Cryoset.com. I have had good success with them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.