Star Wars: Episode VIII (The Last Jedi) - SPOILERS POSSIBLE*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MLutthans, Nov 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

and you might run into Jar Jar Binks in that hole. Meeesa likes rabbits!!

2. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Just got back. Have to say I thought it was a little B movie at times. It was just ok for me. Bummer.

Gethan Wall likes this.
  3. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

4. Lord Summerisle

Lord Summerisle Forum Resident

Obi-Wan was a projection when he fought Vader?

[​IMG]

5. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

If Rey is a Mary Sue, Luke is a Gary Stu. Of course, the term “Gary Stu” rarely comes up, because it applies to male characters. Male characters, like Luke, get a pass. Female characters, like Rey, do not.

“First of all, much of Rey’s actual training came before the start of The Force Awakens. As an orphaned scavenger on Jakku, she needed to learn how to take care of herself. She learned how to fight, some piloting basics, how to handle a gun. The kind of things you probably would learn if you were a woman on a rough-and-tumble planet in a fantasy universe. Unlike Luke, who was relatively pampered by the opening of A New Hope, Rey was already adept with her staff and myriad other things. Like Luke, she speaks more than one language and is unrealistically adept at things she’s never done, like piloting the Millennium Falcon.”
    Here's Why You're Wrong If You Think Rey Needs More Training In 'Star Wars: The Last Jedi'

No, she’s never piloted the Millennium Falcon, but she was an experienced pilot before flying the Millennium Falcon, just as Luke was an experienced pilot who had never piloted an x-wing before destroying the Death Star.

6. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Phasma is the Maul of the sequels - looks cool, hyped doesn't do much, gets taken down fairly easily (without killing anyone major this time around, which I think was a mistake).

BGLeduc likes this.
  7. benjaminhuf

benjaminhuf Forum Resident

I'm not sure Phasma is dead. Burned, sure. But remember what they did for Vader.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
    David Campbell likes this.
  8. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Yeah, that suit totally protected her. No question she returns.

9. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

And the guy with Esquire is apparently full of crap, since Last Jedi is now officially the biggest hit of 2017...

‘The Last Jedi’ Is 2017’s Highest-Grossing Film

Given that it only came out on December 14th, that's a helluva achievement. It's already passed Rogue One in 19 days, and the latter film took two months to make it to a billion dollars.

10. El Bacho

El Bacho Forum Resident

It's from Mad Movies magazine, which mostly deals with B-movies, and it's online, but you have to pay to get the full article.

INTERVIEW RIAN JOHNSON RÉALISATEUR & SCÉNARISTE | Mad Movies

I haven't read the interview, but, through a mutual acquaintance, I took part in a FB conversation that involved the interviewer, who mentioned this. Like the Hardware Wars reference, I guess it will be talked about in the audio commentary.

11. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

It still doesn't (and never will) make TLJ a better movie than Rogue One.

bluesbro and enro99 like this.
  12. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

I wonder if Rey was at the Jedi training school when Ben destroyed it?.......but obviously survived and was taken to Jakku (by Luke?) shortly after.
    It would certainly explain Ben's reaction in TFA when 'A girl ' is mentioned.........but doesn't explain that Luke can't recall her 15 years later..............old age?

Song4U likes this.
  13. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

I know what you mean; after my quasi-defense of the prequels last night, I already feel the dark side creeping up on me... I need a shower, a stiff drink, and an immediate rewatch of the OT's theatrical versions... stat!!!

14. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Anakin Skywalker: [shouts] I HATE YOU!

Obi-Wan: You were my brother, Anakin! I loved you!

Obi-Wan: It's over Anakin, I have the high ground.

Anakin Skywalker: You underestimate my power!

Obi-Wan: Don't try it.

Obi-Wan Kenobi: I have seen a security hologram... of him... killing Younglings.

Padmé: No! Not Anakin! He couldn't...

Were we watching the same film????

15. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I accept the fact that her parents are nobodies and she just happened to have a gift for The Force. The only thing that makes me question this is the way Han looked at her with pity when she said "I didn't know there was this much green in the universe" or something and the fact that Han clearly told Maz SOMETHING off camera.

So either this new movie just tossed all that stuff away (which is not out of the question considering the way other plot threads were handled) or Rey has been misled; her parents ARE important, but it has to be in a way that makes her a stranger to Luke and Leia but known to Han. Which makes little sense. So I'm goona go with option number 1 - she's nobody, anything Han did in the last movie no longer matters. Just like Knights of Ren and the mask. Just wave it away. She's just a girl rising up from the slum to become a Disney Princess.

GentleSenator likes this.
  16. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

Hahaha, point understood and acknowledged. As I said in my quasi-defense, the scripts/dialogue could have been written by a first-year student (although none other than acclaimed playwright Tom Stoppard supposedly gave Episode III a dialogue polish just prior to production), but the broad story arc was pretty good and at times even great, even if Lucas wrote the entire trilogy on the fly - which he did - and without a proper screenwriter(s) when it mattered; he's always been an effective ideas man if nothing else.

17. Dr. J.

Dr. J. Music is in my soul

Thanks for passing this along: this is a smart analysis. The author is absolutely correct: TLJ is a deconstruction (though he does not use this term) of the Star Wars myth. However, what seems to be lost on contemporary postmodern film makers and authors is that their style is becoming just as rote and predictable as the material they're deconstructing.

18. Dr. J.

Dr. J. Music is in my soul

The last line of the article ends with this question: "Is Rian Johnson a sappy romantic or a brutal ironist?" I would say Johnson is the brutal ironist and Abrams the sappy romantic, although he was the one to introduce some of the ironic elements that Johnson took and ran away with to the bank.

19. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

I like this theory and it makes sense too.

David Campbell likes this.
  20. David Campbell

Yep. While I do think Abrams and Kasdan could have done a better job getting across those points about Rey and her Awakening in TFA, I've never bought that Rey was that drastically far away from Luke in terms of development in where she was in The Force Awakens in comparison to Luke in A New Hope, especially when you compare their upbringing.

Speaking of Luke, here's an article with some thoughts on the why's and how's of where he is in The Last Jedi....

Why Luke Tried to Kill Ben Solo in The Last Jedi - This Star Wars Fan Theory Explains Luke's Controversial Actions in The Last Jedi

sunspot42 likes this.
  21. David Campbell

I think it's possible, and I think the explanation for Luke not recognizing her is that he did ultimately, he just never aknowledged that fact. People have to remember if indeed Rey was one of Luke's students , she would have been 11 or 12 years old when he last saw her. It's possible at first he genuinely didn't know her, especially since he shut himself off from the Force. It's highly possible he put it together that's who she was and that was the reason he relents and decides to guide her in the small way he does.

I would not be surprised to see a Luke/Rey "certain point of view" type scene in IX echoing the Luke/ Obi-wan scene from Return of the Jedi.

22. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

It's a grand tradition: Boba Fett in the OT, Darth Maul in the PT, Captain Phasma in the ST! :D

Plan9 and sunspot42 like this.
  23. mark renard

mark renard Senior Member

I liked the movie but it bugs me that they glossed over Rey's past/identity. Kylo obviously knows her, or knows of her, in TFA.

24. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

Two things from the Last Jedi that may be misdirects, IMO:
    • Kylo lied about Rey's parents in an effort to manipulate her
    • Snoke knew Kylo was going to kill him and in fact that is a part of Snoke's overall scheme for Kylo's full turn to the Dark.
    I think the quick "Force Skype" between Rey and Kylo at the end was a subtle hint that Snoke is still at work.

Quadboy and David Campbell like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.