'Odd' Led Zeppelin II LP pressing - calling all experts!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by moomaloo, Jan 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moomaloo

moomaloo All-round good egg Thread Starter

OK, this is driving me nuts...

On Saturday I picked up a nice early UK pressing of Led Zep II. The problem is I can't identify it at all despite spending ages on Discogs...

It's an early 70's UK pressing on the green and orange Atlantic label. K40037. There is no mention of WEA anywhere on the labels and the curved label text is located entirely within the orange part of the label (exactly as a pre-WEA pressing should be). However, the label publishing credits state Warner Bros Music, Jewel Music and 'A U.S.A. Recording' even though it states 'Made in UK' under the 'Stereo' wording.

The matrix numbers are: Side One - K40037.A3 with a faint AL in the deadwax / Side Two - K40037.B3, also with AL in the deadwax.

The gatefold sleeve has no 'Stereo' to the front, no text to the rear and is printed and made in England by Gothic Print Finishers Ltd, London.

However, the publishing credits to the inner gatefold state 'An Atlantic recording distributed by WEA Records Limited 1971'

I know it's nothing special but it is a very nice early copy and I would really like to identify it so that I can add it to my collection inventory (on Discogs).

Any clues anyone..?! It's the 'U.S.A. Recording' bit on the labels which is puzzling me the most...

Thanks.

2. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

3. Murph

Murph Enjoy every sandwich!

AL = Al Ludwig? Bobs brother? ;);):winkgrin:

Marc Perman and mick_sh like this.
  4. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Your copy is an early UK Kinney/Atlantic pressing before the company became Warner Communications UK, Ltd. This is likely a 1973 or 1974 era pressing.

5. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

How does it sound? :cool:

6. moomaloo

Thanks! That's a very good reference and I didn't know it existed. My copy isn't listed exactly but I guess there are so many variants it's impossible to to be 100% comprehensive...

I would agree but I'm still confused by the U.S.A. Recording text. I'm thinking maybe an export copy (though I know it was originally purchased in the UK)...

Good question! I don't know yet. I've cleaned it and it's in my 'up next' pile!

7. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

I'm guessing AL is Allen Landau (also noted as ALLEN in the deadwax). He worked in the UK during much of the 70s.

According to wikipedia, LZ II was recorded in both the UK and US, so "A USA Recording" is only partially correct. I'm not sure it would be significant in determining the origin of the record anyhow, since the place of recording is the same wherever the release is issued. It's an UK record from the early 70s.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
    bibijeebies likes this.
  8. McLover

McLover Senior Member

USA recording, in this case means that Atlantic Recording Corporation in the USA owns and made that recording. That phrase is common on foreign pressings of USA originated material.

No Static likes this.
  9. moomaloo

It sounds very good indeed. I sat and listened to Side 1 and thought, "This is great; much better than the recent reissue". Then I dug out the reissue and played the same side at the same volume - Damn! The reissue just tears it apart. More focused, better tonal quality, warmer (yes, really) and even more dynamics...

It's sort of nice to have an earlyish, all analogue UK pressing. But am I likely to play it again? No...

Tommyboy and Dr. Funk like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.