The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. rockinlazys

rockinlazys Forum Resident

High School dropout> was a bit busy at that time...............

ianuaditis, Crispy Rob and bzfgt like this.
  2. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Good to know, I never checked it but it sounded fine to me, yet someone told me it was fast...

Archtop likes this.
  3. bzfgt

Which time?

4. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

[​IMG]

one mo saturday night

budwhite, mmthmj, ianuaditis and 3 others like this.
  5. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

6. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

And the years and shows are actually now listed chronologically from top to bottom instead of chronoillogically from bottom to top!

AND...:tiphat:
    It appears to be fully gapless. I was never able to get that feature to work.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
    GuidedByJonO))) and ianuaditis like this.
  7. ducksdeluxe

And they show all the sources for each show on the main screen. Huge upgrade.

8. rockinlazys

rockinlazys Forum Resident

Well, I was not made for schooling so I found other ways to learn. I would have graduated from the socially approved route in '78.

9. SBegonias17

SBegonias17 Forum Resident

7/7/89 for my anniversary listening. One of the best shows of '89 without question.

10. Archtop

And when you click on a specific source, it actually pulls up that source, unlike the crap-shoot that was par for the course before. I think the gapless feature is the biggest upgrade for me, although each portion of a long jam sequence loads sequentially, so it remains to be seen if a long segment (such as a contiguous Dark Star segment) can load before a short segment like a '72 drums is done.

US Blues and ianuaditis like this.
  11. DrLunchbox

DrLunchbox Forum Deadhead #1604

Dead adjacent, but I just finished John Perry Barlow’s posthumous biography. It was a quick read and quite interesting as he’s someone I knew about but didn’t really know anything about, if you get my drift. Worth your time, IMO.

Now on to the new Paul Simon biography. And they say people don’t read/use libraries anymore.... psssh...

12. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

July '78 Box Set weekend! We also went to the tasty German Shepard cover Europe '72 show.

13. bzfgt

Tonight Not Fade Away from Dick Pick 7 and PiTB from Winterland 1973-11-9...surely two of the best versions of each number...

Mansley, KCWhistle, US Blues and 4 others like this.
  14. Archtop

I first read this as posthumous autobiography and was understandably flummoxed. Then again, I suppose that if you keep a copy of the Tibetan Book of the Dead in your hip pocket at all times, there's no telling what you might be able to pull off.

15. DrLunchbox

DrLunchbox Forum Deadhead #1604

To be fair, it could be listed as an (auto)biography....

US Blues, ianuaditis and Archtop like this.
  16. Archtop

In any other thread, getting this metaphysical would be considered to be off-topic. Here...not so much.

On to more important items: I know that I've mentioned 9/28/75 a few times, and The Music Never Stopped in particular, more than a few times, but this show and TMNS never fails to deliver. Of note in TMNS is the "floating section" after the vocals and before Jerry's solo (4:29-4:42 on the porch-demolisher) which has this really undulating and loose/tight (once again) feel, and when Jerry launches into his solo, he really undoes and redoes everything about what this tune is all about.

He starts by hanging us all on a string and then drops down into the whole enchilada. 5:13-5:15 is the early but characteristic downward chromatic riff and then he sets up a fantastic downward and then upward flurry of notes from 5:32-5:40. Then he really gets into the mantra thing that he was so much about in longer, extended jams: playing on a theme and finding the perfect line over it (5:41-5:54). No big scrubby ending, just a really well-focused dissection of how music should ooze out of a band. And it should be noted that the whole band is right on and the two drummers work very well off of one another. No sneakers/dryers present.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
    Mansley, KCWhistle, bzfgt and 8 others like this.
  17. ducksdeluxe

I have to say that this Dark Star from 2/26/73 is not getting it done. Kinda lethargic. I probably shouldn't listen to a 73 DS after a 68 one, though. 68 makes anything sound lethargic. But here comes Phil to the rescue as they move towards Eyes.

Six Bachelors and US Blues like this.
  18. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Heavy Metal Phil

bzfgt, US Blues and ianuaditis like this.
  19. Archtop

Well yes; '68 is frenetic while '73 is often languid, but jeez, Wally, there's a six-minute Elastic Ping Pong jam in there (10:10-16:14) that's really top-drawer.

20. ducksdeluxe

C'mon, Beav, you know me by now, 1968-1971 is where I live. Languid, good choice of words. Now on to Hard To Handle from DP35. Right in my wheelhouse.

21. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

They seem to have fixed that on the Archive too. I only notice a gap when my computer is being a jerk. (I also notice the track will play while still loading, if its a long one.)

Thanks to @ducksdeluxe for the heads up on the Relisten redesign though, that seems much better. My brother and I spent a lot of time talking about music over the holiday, and I'm putting together a list of stuff for him to check out, I had meant to mention relisten, but had forgotten about it.

bzfgt, US Blues, SBegonias17 and 2 others like this.
  22. Archtop

Well, if the second set from 6/18/83 wasn't part of that conversation, you are subject to a dishonorable discharge from the bus and possible court martial.

23. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

Oh no, he's not nearly at that level yet. He's not exactly a newb, but I don't even think he's up to Europe 72 stuff yet. Now that relisten is easier, I will put it on the list, and we will see if he goes there.

US Blues and Archtop like this.
  24. Archtop

In that case, I'll allow it. :nyah: (Quoting Tony Massarotti from 98.5 The Sports Hub here in Boston).

bzfgt, US Blues and ianuaditis like this.
  25. ducksdeluxe

Good grief, don't quote that idiot. Felger & Mazz-nattering nabobs of negativity. Bleah.

The other thing I like about the new Relisten design is that little SBD flag you can see from the main menu for the shows that have one or more.