SH Spotlight Steve's secret weapon in mastering many of your favorites, the Tube-Tastic Teletronix LA-2A.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Jul 18, 2018.

1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

My Teletronix LA-2A, ganged for stereo or mono reproduction via the handy toggle switch in the center of the two units.

Never far from my work space, always dependable, always beautiful sounding, more subtle than any Fairchild, responsive no matter how hard it's pushed.

Thanks to Doug Brown and the old gang at KEDC-FM for opening my eyes to what this tubed beauty can really do.

I've used it on countless projects, Nat "King" Cole, Frank Sinatra, Beach Boys, Doors, Eagles, Ringo, McCartney, Fleetwood Mac, Bob Dylan, Ray Charles, Peggy Lee, Jethro Tull, Chuck Berry, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Van Morrison, White Stripes, Tom Petty, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Ella Fitzgerald, Yes, Sonny Rollins, John Coltrane, Steely Dan, Steppenwolf, Bad Company, Jim Croce, Elvis Presley, Billie Holiday, Judy Garland, Dave Mason, Paul Simon, America, The Band, Crosby, Stills & Nash, The Cars, ZZ Top, James Taylor, Art Pepper, Steve Miller Band, Queen, Rod Stewart, Duke Ellington, John Lee Hooker, Al Jolson, Roy Orbison, Bing Crosby, Sammy Davis, Jr., The Who, Lightnin' Hopkins, Bill Haley & his Comets, Miles Davis, Mamas and Papas, Blue Öyster Cult, The Byrds, Eric Clapton, Bill Evans Trio, Blood, Sweat & Tears, Phil Collins, Alice Cooper, Deep Purple, Jeff Beck, Doobie Bros., Faces, Grand Funk, Heart, Billy Joel, Linda Ronstadt, Ten Years After, Grant Green, Wes Montgomery, Pat Benetar, Elton John, Leon Russell, Metallica. etc.

You name it, if needed, I've run it through the Teletronix LA-2A. My (no longer) secret weapon since 1982. Here's a tip, turn the peak reduction all the way off and use it as a preamp, like Ken Perry used to do at Capitol. Adds that great sound without compression. A true genius invention. Thanks, JIM LAWRENCE and BILL PUTNAM!

DSC_2885.JPG DSC_2887.JPG DSC_2888.JPG DSC_2895.JPG

2. tensummoner

tensummoner wish i had a nickle.. thats it just wish i had 1

Im in awe, not just your tech equipment. the everything about your job/way of life. if it wasnt too late in life to start, what steps would you recommend for someone to follow? any certain degrees and from what U etc. etc. lol sorry for being such a dork about it, im just always wanted to do something like this.

3. George P

George P Notable Member

4. ledsox

ledsox Senior Member

Thanks for the pics. Very cool to see some of the special sound secret sauce.

klockwerk likes this.
  5. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

RangerXT likes this.
  6. Steve Hoffman

danielbravo likes this.
  7. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

awesome Units, I've used them a few times, but those Bluestripe 1176 units :bigeek:

8. seaisletim

seaisletim Forum Resident

That’s some damn list!!

RangerXT and George P like this.
  9. George P

George P Notable Member

Steve, you mention that you used the Teletronix LA-2A "if needed," can you say a bit about what conditions indicated it being needed?

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
  10. Steve Hoffman

Yes, pretty, but the old LA-2A kills it dead.

11. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

for mastering I bet..

I love the LA-2A's on vocals and bass :)

Do you ever use the 1176's?

12. Steve Hoffman

In the rare event I need to mix something in a more modern style. The 11176 is wonderful for being aurally invisible.

polchik and RangerXT like this.
  13. jfine

jfine Forum Resident

Divulging secret = possible soon retirement?

14. Steve Hoffman

The field is pretty much dead now, sadly. Find something else to do that pleases you..

klockwerk likes this.
  15. Steve Hoffman

It can be used several ways. First way, as a straight preamp, but with some special tube sparkle. Second way, as a compressor, taking 40db of dynamic range and reducing it to 30 or whatever. Third, can be used as more of a limiter if adjusted that way. Can compress the bass more than the mids or treble for radio station use, or the other way around, etc. Can do what you need it to do and unless it's pushed, you can't tell it's doing anything.

SinnerSaint and Stone Turntable like this.
  16. Steve Hoffman

No, but hoping other engineers will take a clue and stop using digital compression to brickwall stuff. This works well and sounds amazing.

17. SuperFuzz

SuperFuzz Forum Resident

What tubes have you got in it?

18. Steve Hoffman

Well, if a recording sounds too solid state or mixed too weird. You know, dry, boring, lopsided, thin, crispy, flat, uninvolving, etc. Run it through this and get some more body, life, etc. Or if you have a recording that is all one level except a single scream or shout that peaks the meters and throws everything else below the noise floor. Just reduce that peak a bit and it brings everything else up so you can get over the vinyl noise. Things like that.

I use it mainly for the first reason.

Or if mixing something, I'll use it on the vocal to keep it in the same earthly plane as the music. I did that on some (not all) Nat "King" Cole mixes and most certainly on The Rat Pack in Chicago and Judy Garland at C. H.

C6H12O6, polchik, MMM and 1 other person like this.
  19. Steve Hoffman

My beautiful tube-driven electro-optical compressor likes the word "valves", but tubes will do.

6AQ5, RCA, 12BH7a is British Brimar, ECC83 is Telefunken smooth plate.

20. Steve Hoffman

Yeah, there is a lot more. Also, I forgot to add The Surftones. :^)

21. Peter K

Peter K Forum Resident

Hi Steve, could you give us a heads up on any recent releases you have worked on or any upcoming projects especially as Audio Fidelity is no more, some of us need a fix of your work!!

George P likes this.
  22. Steve Hoffman

You into Korean Rap?

C6H12O6, SoundDoctor, Pinknik and 3 others like this.
  23. teag

teag Forum Resident

Darn.......

24. Peter K

Peter K Forum Resident

Not at all, but my daughter travelled from Ireland to Japan to see Big Bang live, and I'm really serious, and she going to Paris in the autumn to see BTS, so Korean music has infiltrated this household!!

25. Claus

Claus Senior Member

It is nice vintage stuff still holds very well over decades.

ponkine likes this.