Greta Van Fleet...Anyone?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tree of Life, Jun 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

At least you narrow it down, considering Plant himself didn't sound like 1969 Plant after, well 1969...:D

To me, GVF are similar to some Zep, but folks saying "they sound just like Zeppelin" or "they're just ripping off Zeppelin" are hearing things that I'm just not hearing. Zep had a lot of shades and each album sounded different than the last...

There are a ton of blues-based bands with wailing singers that don't get the same grief GVF does. I think it has more to do with their apparent quick ascent - which actually isn't that quick considering that these kids have been playing together and recording music for YEARS.
    A lot of GVF's songs sound nothing like Zep and more like other bands. I'd be interested in hearing a Zeppelin version of an Adele song, but that ain't gonna happen.

GVF also crafts songs with hooks, which puts them a cut above other Zeppelin-esque bands.

I, for one, am glad that both Zeppelin and GVF exist. I like 'em both but only one is putting out new music though, so I'll take what I can get. :cool:

I never understood this battle of the bands mentality - if I don't like, I don't listen and just move on - no biggie. Pretty simple.

2. elgobbes

elgobbes Forum Resident

They sound like Zeppelin, but they don’t play like Zeppelin.

3. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

Amen. My point exactly.

Crimson jon likes this.
  4. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

Just heard the new single. It isn't bad per say, but I just cannot take them seriously 100 percent with the blatant Robert Plant vocal copy going on. It takes me out of the moment

Just like that song Highway Tune, I played it for a group of my friends who all love Zeppelin and as soon as he started howling just like Plant the very first note he sang we all started busting up laughing at how much like Plant it was - same note even as his near-identicsl howl on The Lemon Song (a B). I don't hate them by any means, but I wish their singer sounded at least a little less like that lol.

The instrumentals are not bad, but just your basic blues rock licks and whatnot. In terms of modern blues rock, I might stick mainly with Rival Sons and The Magpie Salute

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
    Kaelu and WarEagleRK like this.
  5. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

I can't speak for others, but I'm just having a discussion about music. If I am spreading the word about something I like then it is that Zeppelin stand on their own head and shoulders above most and this band shouldn't be compared to them.

Agree 100%, that's why I hate the comparisons to Zeppelin because I think GVF hasn't shown (maybe they will one day, it's early...) any light and shade as Jimmy Pages likes to put it. I don't think GVF sounds just like Zeppelin musically, but I do think the singer has taken the vocals of 1969 Plant and the stage mannerisms of 1973 Song Remains the Same Plant on most of their early EP stuff and the videos I have seen. Like someone earlier stated, to me it comes across as forced. It might not be, hopefully isn't. As a huge Zeppelin fan, I get if there is influence there, but the stage mannerisms are a little too on the nose.

The new single sounds less like early Plant, but if that is his more natural singing voice, I get why he did the Plant thing.

As far as them doing songs with hooks, I haven't heard a single song from them that sticks with me. They just aren't songs to me, but obviously others are eating it up. Based on the hype I picked up the CD with the two EPs on it and listened to it three or four times and nothing really stuck with me. The only thing I found memorable were the vocals and that wasn't in a positive way. I wanted to like them as I hope to like almost all new rock that I come across, but I found the vocals and the lyrics too distracting to the detriment of the music. As always, results may vary. Glad others enjoy it.

6. yarbles

yarbles Too sick to pray

The little twerp on vocals makes it impossible to want to even try to take the underlying music seriously. He's like a constipated Adele with severe haemorroids singing through a megaphone. It's the aural equivalent of forcing oneself to read posts by that Macca freak here who insists on using caps/bold lock on almost every word.

I just find it incredible that anyone with any taste or appreciation for quality rock music could find anything worthwhile in this gruesome parody.

Crimson jon, Ma Kelly and DHamilton like this.
  7. aroney

I was talking generally, not aimed at you specifically...;)

There are a lot of folks posting "critiques" that are hardly useful, revelatory, or thought-provoking. Juvenile is really the best way to describe them. I feel like I'm online gaming with 14-year-olds.

When I've asked for suggestions for some new "original" music, or what newer bands someone likes I get :whistle:, or something that is not even in the same genre.

It's the internet though, where baser instincts tend to dominate. It perplexes me a bit, but it doesn't bother me as I'm a long way from giving a flip what others like or are doing.

Yes, I do like GVF, but I also posted my issues with them waaaay back in this thread - I'd cut 'em some slack though since half the band isn't even out of it's teens yet.

Ultimately, I like seeing any ROCK band get some run (I'm rooting for the Struts too!), whether I like 'em or not.

It's a good thing. :righton:

Tree of Life and Paulwalrus like this.
  8. FrixFrixFrix

FrixFrixFrix Senior Member

9. Ristifer

Ristifer Forum Resident

Meh. Not for me. I'm okay with this band doing its thing, even with the blatant mimicry. However, the constant ushering in of headlines about saving rock, or being the next this-or-that, or resurrecting something... they're exhausting. No band is ever going to do that to mainstream rock again. They just won't. And it's not even the band's fault. It's the legions of followers who feel the need to carry torches for a band that's just out there to have some fun and play music. They're going to have immense pressure placed on them, and I almost feel badly for them. Because if they think the criticisms are bad now, then just wait for the ceiling to be hit.

KaptKopter and DHamilton like this.
  10. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

I see the Alabama Shakes mentioned earlier, I loved their first album and enjoyed Brittany Howard's side project Thunderbitch, but I thought their second album wasn't very good at all. I don't know if it was Blake Mills' production (as I thought the same of the album he produced for Dawes) or the band just moving in a different direction. I enjoyed the show I saw on the tour from their second album, but just didn't get into the album itself. I hope to hear new stuff from them soon, but they seemed to have dropped off.

11. FrixFrixFrix

Funny, the first album did nothing for me, but Sound & Color blew me away.

Their live show was underwhelming the two times I saw them on that tour, though. Brittany Howard doesn't have much stage presence between songs and the rest of the band are about as anonymous as they come. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

12. aroney

Agreed, and most of those bands that were listed are hardly in the same vein as GVF either...I'll take "mimicry" for a hundred Alex. :D

13. I think the new single is generic AF. And, I had trouble understanding the lyrics. As far as I can tell, this is the chorus:

Wella cuttin' fowls
    What the hollow walls?
    What's a belly dong?
    Now yer na da da - nahwrrrrrr!

He just screams and drowns out the mediocre music. I like lots of 'high voice' singers but this is just too much. They are doubling down on the Zep mimicry and I'm not sure if it's their doing or the vampires who have gotten their grubby hands on them.

Man at C&A, FrixFrixFrix and Thievius like this.
  14. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I liked the EP's, but I am a little underwhelmed by this new single. I was hoping for something a bit better in the songwriting department after being on the road for awhile and preparing for the launch of their first 'real' album. Oh well.

15. FFF

FFF Forum Resident

All I know is I saw them live and they rock. My comment on "channeling" was tongue-in-cheek. Although, if you saw them live you might think they were hypnotizing the audience.

Gil Griffith and Paulwalrus like this.
  16. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

What I think is funny is that it seems as though there is a core group here who will both dismiss bands because they retread old ideas AND embrace bands for the same reason. They just call it “keeping the fire” or something instead. If they don’t like the band they’re a retread, like ‘em and they’re keeping the rock and roll spirit alive.

17. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

Omg, I died laughing at your interpretation of the lyrics.

Anyway, I'm not going to pile on this band but I just can't get into them. As soon as the singer starts his caterwaul, I'm out.

DHamilton and Man at C&A like this.
  18. FrixFrixFrix

Asks for "new and original" bands, gets a list of just that and dismisses it because they're not like the band that doesn't have an original bone in their body...

yarbles and Diamond Dog like this.
  19. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

I do not want to know the answer to this question.

D.D.

20. DrewMeyer

DrewMeyer Forum Resident

I'm surprised I've only seen one mention of the Hard Days Night chord at the beginning. It's all I could think of when I heard the song

KaptKopter and violetvinyl like this.
  21. Crimson jon

Crimson jon Forum Resident

I remember another band about 10 years back Wolfmother whose debut album sounded like zep but it was also really good music. To me greta sounds like a parody....more than the tame impala john Lennon type imitation greta is like a straight up Robert plant zep 1 parody.

DHamilton likes this.
  22. Paulwalrus

Paulwalrus Forum Resident

Frankly, I couldn't care less if the music (of this band or any other) is "original". I care that it's good.

Some people seem somwhow insulted by the similitude, which I find baffling. But whatever. Too bad they can't enjoy the music.

Queen did just fine despite the music press talking crap about everything they did. Who cares about bitter music press, or posters on message boards...

23. musicarus

musicarus Forum Resident

Discovered only recently, being under a rock and all,...but fascinating debate!:rolleyes: I'm not shocked, surprised or offended. Good for them, they seem like good kids and somewhat informed. Derivative? Try to be original with all that has been done. I'm kinda enjoying them being enjoyed and rising above the ever-subjective professional and unprofessional critics.

24. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

For me... they got my attention by sounding like early Zeppelin. Now that they have it... what are they going to do to set themselves apart from everyone?

25. Ristifer

Ristifer Forum Resident

Right. People underestimate the pressure until it creeps up on them. It can affect people in many different ways. And Queen obliterated their critics on a constant basis. These guys don't even have an album out yet. As long as they're having fun, then great. But it can really hinder their fun if they keep hearing this stuff pop up over and over. It's human nature.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.