Jethro Tull Too Old To Rock and Roll too young to Die! deluxe 2016

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Daniel Falaschi, May 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

I looked at both sets just now and they each have the remix. On the Too Old... set, there's a dagger beside the song title, denoting a remix.
    Jethro Tull - Too Old To Rock 'n' Roll: Too Young To Die (The TV Special Edition)

"One Brown Mouse" is a vintage mix on Too Old..., but then they found the multi-tracks and Wilson remixed it for SFTW.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
    JediJoker likes this.
  2. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

The album should be renamed, simply, Too Old. :)

3. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

Why do you keep correcting me when you’re wrong? At no point did I suggest both sets did not have the stereo remix or surround mix. What I am saying is that the Too Old reissue also has the original mix, which may be relevant for some people.

Look at the tracklisting for DVD Two on the back of The TV Special Edition and tell me you don’t see under “ASSOCIATED RECORDINGS” the words “STRIP CARTOON Original Master Mix.”

4. Mr. Ian Anderson, if you are reading this, could you, in any later installments of this otherwise wonderful series, comment a little more about the music material involved?

I am a non-English speaker Jethro Tull fan - there are quite a few of us out there - for whom the lyrics have never been >>that<< important in the balance of our interest for this material...

If you can talk at such length - and, of course, always very interestingly so for the average reader - about the technicalitites of crosscountry motorbiking as you do here in this book, surely you could do the same about the musical technicalities and peculiarities of these beloved pieces, so we may learn a little more about it?

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
  5. I know I was just complaining about off-topic-to-music subjects but... Might as well try this one here...

What does the line "...Drank his ale too light" mean, in the title song's lyrics? Of course I know what light ale is, but I've never understood why an old macho type from the RnR era like Ray Lomas would make a point of drinking light ale... Unless this is in fact some expression or other peculiar to the British culture which I'm not aware of...

I hate high-alcohol beer myself... ...but I'm not a macho type!

6. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

Simply, at that time "Drank his ale too light" was to emphasize just how unfashionable the old Rocker appeared.

The old Rocker wore his hair too long,
    wore his trouser cuffs too tight.
    Unfashionable to the end --- drank his ale too light.

7. Yeah, but what's unfashionable about drinking light ale, in 1976? Old rockers (in England) from the late 50s used to not drink "real men beer" but had light beer instead?

8. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

True, light beer became fashionable in 1975/76...now I'm confused. :angel: I'm not much of a drinker...but I'm always fashionable...:laugh:

:cheers: :winkgrin:

ParloFax likes this.
  9. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

Apologies, my stubborn brain was looking at the CD listing rather than the DVD listing. You're entirely correct so there's no point in my attempting any kind of face-saving sugarcoating. My bad.

Six Bachelors likes this.
  10. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

Thanks for saying so. It occurred to me you might have thought I was saying only one set had the stereo remix.

Anyway, now it’s sorted.

SJB likes this.
  11. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Maybe his ale is too light for him? but it wouldn't match the previous lyrics...

12. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Sorry, if I'm dumb but I've just purchased the RSD version and: They couldn't locate the multi-tracks for Intro/Quiz Kid, Crazed Institution, Salamander, Taxi Grab and Pied Piper. So Steven Wilson had to take the re-recorded versions for his remix.

But what about the other songs from the album? The - otherwise - excellent booklet isn't entirely clear which version Steven used for his remix: ".... plus of course the five album tracks which happily were found in the vaults". So is the vinyl version actually a hybrid, mixing six rerecordings with five originals or - since it is called "The TV Soundtrack Remixed" - are all eleven tracks taken from the re-recordings?

And since we're at it: How does this compare to the original 1976 vinyl? Haven't heard it in ages and wonder if it was worth getting it as well. You know how it is with vintage Tull vinyl: Most of it can be obtained for less than 10€.

13. Mirsset

Mirsset Forum Resident

The vinyl version is re-recorded TV version all the way. The five original studio tracks remixed by Steven are only on bookset and cd versions.

Plan9 and Haggis Wampovich like this.
  14. Neonbeam

Thank you! I'm amazed because I hadn't heard this album since 1986. Back then I didn't really like it, thought it sounded somewhat stale. Now, I find I really like it but I'm listening to the re-recorded version so I'm wondering if the fact that this was knocked out within two days gave the songs a new freshness. Or if it's simply down to my perception and appreciation changing through time.

A friend always referred to this as "Tull's glam rock album". Now I can finally see where he's coming from. :righton:

murrays likes this.
  15. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

It's not just you, the TV re-recording has indeed something "fresher" about it. :)

16. Neonbeam

Still amazing that they managed to nail what sounds like a fully fledged studio recording within the space of two days. That's perfectly in tune with the spirit of 1976! :cheers:

Six Bachelors, tootull and Plan9 like this.
  17. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

It does show how thoroughly they had the songs down.

Neonbeam likes this.
  18. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Much prefer this re-recorded version. Crisper, more upfront and involving.

Neonbeam likes this.
  19. Adam Pajda

Adam Pajda Forum Resident

This will be my listening pleasure on my way to work tomorrow :)

#uselessinformation

Runicen likes this.
  20. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Good for you man. I've yet to break the seal on my copy (having noted earlier that I have heard a friends copy). In other words, even paying an owning this isn't incentive enough for me to play it. :D

Still, it has its fans, and I hope your journey to work is made a little better by being a Whizz Kid.

21. Daniel Falaschi

Daniel Falaschi Live detective Thread Starter

Oh what a shame that they did not include this footage in such beautiful quality!!

JediJoker and Zoso88 like this.
  22. Daniel Falaschi

Daniel Falaschi Live detective Thread Starter

23. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

Drink your beer Ian lol

24. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

Could have been another fine Tull album :winkgrin:

25. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

Thread Status: