The big disappointment: announced but never released

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by no time, Sep 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

Were those Joni projects ever announced?

I’d still like to have the Joni Mitchell tribute with Janet Jackson, Etta James, and Chaka Khan (among others) which never materialized (though I think there we’re promo copies) — those some of the tracks did surface on another compilation.

https://www.discogs.com/Various-Joni-Mitchell-Tribute-Compilation/release/305093

Various - A Tribute To Joni Mitchell

2. laether

laether Forum Resident

From 2014: "On the heels of yet another record-breaking year in 2013, which included their fifth No. 1 record and the No. 1 worldwide tour, Bon Jovi announces plans for an extensive 30th Anniversary catalog campaign with Island/UMe. The initiative will launch with the July 1st release of the seminal album New Jersey in a remastered single CD and digital edition, a 2 CD and digital Deluxe Edition, and a triple disc (2 CD/1 DVD) Super Deluxe Edition. More 30th Anniversary commemorative titles, including newly-compiled collections of studio and live recordings, will also be released this year."

After all they did release "New Jersey" with stuff already available on b-sides, vhs' and bootlegs, so nothing new there...the rest of the campaign was quietly (and for unknown reason - possibly low sales) shelved....

Was hoping they would open the vaults for some burning live shows from the era the band were on top of their game: the 80s...

hiterss, qtrules and Jimmy Agates like this.
  3. kwhisperer

kwhisperer Forum Resident

Stevie is the worst when it comes to announcing albums that never come out. He's had Ten Billion Hearts, Gospel Inspired by Lula and Through the Eyes of Wonder in the works - or finished - for the better part of a decade. The latest claim is Through the Eyes of Wonder is coming out this year but I don't believe it for a second. Then there is the symphonic album with David Foster and whatever other ones I've forgotten or haven't heard about..........

tug_of_war, Jarleboy and Nostaljack like this.
  4. stagnation

stagnation Forum Resident

The missing elton John albums that were mixed into 5.1 by Greg penny for Sacd release. Those never happened

5. scotpagel

scotpagel Forum Resident

September of My Years DVD-A

tug_of_war and Simon A like this.
  6. sathvyre

sathvyre formerly known as ABBAmaniac

OFERMOD - Pentagrammaton

7. Hootsmon

Hootsmon Forum Resident

I recall about 20 years ago there was a Rory Gallager double cd set called Acoustic Roots supposed to have been released. It never appeared and instead Wheels Within Wheels appeared a couple of years later.

8. tedg65

tedg65 Forum Resident

Doors LA Woman 4 or 5 disc box set.

McCartney outtakes archival box set/rumored 4 or 5 years ago.

9. RockRoom

RockRoom I Love My Dog

It pains me that this has not been released. OPM 66 continues to ignore inquiries about its production.

hiterss likes this.
  10. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

The box set was announced, yes. No tracklist was revealed, but there was definitely news of an upcoming retrospective set with rarities. Then, all of a sudden, a news item on her site with the headline “She can’t go back there anymore” announcing the project’s cancellation.

IMWAN had listings for the Hejira and HOSL reissues and they were on Amazon for ages. If I remember correctly, there was no no tracklist announced, just news of the upcoming project.

Jarleboy likes this.
  11. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Wasn't there a Shack album mean't to come out on Sour Mash?

granata likes this.
  12. tedg65

tedg65 Forum Resident

Thin Lizzy unreleased outtakes box set.....not really announced but strongly hinted at.....

13. MarcS

MarcS Forum Resident

John Fogerty -Hoodoo
    Traffic-Live November 1970
    Buffalo Springfield-Stampede
    Mamas and Papas -Crashon Screamon All Fall Down

Davmoco and majoyenrac like this.
  14. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident

I remember hearing about that set a solid decade ago. Figure it was nixed after Capitol decided to put together the smaller Musical History box themselves.

15. jjhunsecker

jjhunsecker Senior Member

The Joni Mitchell tribute album is discussed in the book "The Greatest Albums You'll Never Hear" by Bruno McDonald
    www.amazon.com/Greatest-Albums-Youll-Never-Hear/dp/1844037770/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1536787136&sr=1-1&keywords=the+greatest+music+you%27ll+never+hear

Jarleboy likes this.
  16. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

Ah yes - I remember that one!
    Do you by chance have the 94 Baker CD with all the tracks mentioned on the trayliner or does your trayliner show tracks that you don't have on the CD?

I received the CD without the Misunderstood tracks because of some licensing snafu. There were copies that got out with the full tracklisting intact on the CD but then because of the issue they had to repress an abbreviated disc - meanwhile the artwork was not corrected. doh! :doh:

Cristiano Cortellazzi likes this.
  17. Hot Ptah

Hot Ptah Forum Resident In Memoriam

There were rumors that some live Sun Ra material would one day be released.

I'm joking.

18. jpgrbtalls

jpgrbtalls Forum Resident

At the time of Macca's release of Wingspan in 2000 or 2001, he mentioned that a 4 disc set of rarities and previously unreleased matetial would be part of the campaign.

tug_of_war, Eska68, DocShipe and 3 others like this.
  19. mj_patrick

mj_patrick Senior Member

In this era of exhaustive box sets– what an absolute shame that is. Great band.

20. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

The notes by the artist promised on the sleeve of Bob Dylan's Under the Red Sky …

Tim

Sean Murdock and Dark Horse 77 like this.
  21. Etienne Hanratty

Etienne Hanratty Forum Resident

Super Furry Animals supposedly had an instrumental album ready to launch after Hey Venus! came out. Since then, we’ve had Dark Days Light Years, but nowt else.

Around the time Van put out Pay The Devil, he promised us an archival release of country music he’d recorded in the 70s. That never came out either.

Probably less of a loss, but I’ve been waiting nearly 20 years for the Beach Boys mariachi album.

22. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I don't recall if there was an official announcement but they were also going to do a similar set for the Island Years of Traffic that was nixed by Steve Winwood.

jlf likes this.
  23. Peace N. Love

Peace N. Love Forum Resident

Don't get me started on Think Too Much. Where is my Simon and Garfunkel reunion album? Waiting 35 years here!

Also, how's that second La's album coming, Lee?

linclink and Jarleboy like this.
  24. evillouie

evillouie Forum Resident

It got as far as finalizing the track list on 4 or 5 CD's. They also mention it in the updated Thin Lizzy episode of VH1's "Behind The Music", while an unreleased studio version of "Are You Ready" plays in the background. And, every once in a while, Scott Gorham addresses this in interviews. Unfortunately, the lawyers have so much red tape holding this back that there are greater chances of Phil Lynott and Gary Moore coming back to life than this box set ever seeing the light of day.

I'd really, really like to know what the legal holdup is about on this one...

25. [​IMG] still waiting for the box set that was supposed to be out 3 yrs ago

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.