Bob Dylan – Bootleg Series Vol. 14: More Blood, More Tracks (2 Nov 2018)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dave Gilmour's Cat, Nov 2, 2016.

1. The big boxes will always have books and other additional artwork. Just like with the McCartney Archive series. This is to be expected yet each time the bitching about printed extras continues.

I guess its just a part of the variety of interests and priorities. :tiphat:

I agree that the cover is lame.

Sean, Mr. Explorer and IronWaffle like this.
  2. matt79rome89

matt79rome89 Forum Resident

The initial announcement stated "Duquesne Whistle appears on "Tempest". B-side is a previously unreleased version of Meet Me In The Morning from the Blood on the Tracks sessions and is a forthcoming track from The Bootleg Series Volume 11."

That mention of BS 11 has since been scrubbed but was quoted at the time here: Bob Dylan: Bootleg Series Volume 11 (?1?)

3. PADYBU

PADYBU Forum Resident

could argue that it's realism in this case since this is the bootleg series and boots tend to have poverty windows paint covers

4. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

You’re definitely confusing me with someone else. I’ve never said that. I wouldn’t be able to make an assumption either informed or a guess whether they were going to do a curated or full session release. If anything the EU copyright laws and other factors point to more ‘complete’ sets in the future.

Sean Murdock likes this.
  5. hal jones

hal jones Forum Resident

And a shipping fiasco (like last time) at no extra charge.

TimeandTempo likes this.
  6. gibsona07

gibsona07 Active Member

The artwork for Dylan albums from tempest onwards reminds me of the amateurish magazine covers Bob was supposed to have designed for one of his art exhibitions.

7. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident Thread Starter

8. cable hogue

cable hogue Forum Resident

Agreed. The poster here who made those beautiful cover mockups about 85 pages ago had probably a dozen alternative covers that are way way more visually appealing than this one. They were simply incredible, I think a lot of them had that 'Philip Roth font.'

Can someone repost them? I have no idea where to find them in this thread.

bonus and Mr. Explorer like this.
  9. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

I looked under the hay bale in my barn this morning while I was searching for a fence panel to replace the one that was blown over in the wind last night and, Lo and Behold ... there was that pesky box of dusty old tapes given to me by David last time I was in Minneapolis for the New Year celebrations in 1975. I knew I had it somewhere.

Do you think there is time to give them to Clinton so he can pass them on to Bob Inc.? They should be able to process them in time for the "freebie" 2CD set from the website.

10. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

looks like it is only 1CD for us mere mortals. Damn.....
    better have a slipcase.

Alan57 likes this.
  11. kuddukan

kuddukan Forum Resident

Mission certainly accomplished for me, personally.
    Any of @Mbd77's detractors aren't paying close enough attention.
    And need to get over themselves!

highway, asdf35, Mbd77 and 1 other person like this.
  12. kuddukan

kuddukan Forum Resident

O.T. but I just found the "Ignore" feature of this forum, and wow, it is a wonderful thing. :righton:

supermd, voles, Sean Murdock and 5 others like this.
  13. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

So is the vinyl the original tracks or alternate takes?

savemenow likes this.
  14. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

As I recall, it completely sold out soon after release, generating a couple of million dollars in revenue in the space of a few months. How much better do you think they wanted to do? It was a big gamble that paid off handsomely.

Do you seriously think they'd retail a 6CD edition at (I can't recall exactly the MSRP) $130 and an 18CD edition at $150?

People always complain that these deluxe sets could have been cheaper, and of course they could, in an abstract sense, but the thing is that an awful lot of them wouldn't be happening at all if it weren't for these expensive deluxe editions actually making a lot of money. If you took away the big book, and the single reproductions (which did include rarities that weren't on the CDs), and the paraphernalia, you wouldn't have got a cheaper big box, you would have got no box, just the 2CD and 6CD versions, and a whole lot of fantastic music would have remained in the vaults.

Tuco, SBegonias17, SPARTACUS and 3 others like this.
  15. kuddukan

kuddukan Forum Resident

I believe there were 5,000 sets that sold at $600 USD on the US site for a gross sale of $3,000,000.

Mr. Explorer and TimeandTempo like this.
  16. kuddukan

kuddukan Forum Resident

$159 USD on Amazon on day 1 is not surprising at all, and in line with the last few releases.

17. DirkM

DirkM Forum Resident

It's a shame, though, because the covers of the first few volumes of the Bootleg Series were absolutely gorgeous. I think there started to be a slip in design around Modern Times/No Direction Home.

18. Tom Schreck

Tom Schreck Forum Resident

I'd like to see the budget breakdown for TCE. I bet if they'd cut the price in half, they could have sold more than twice as many, and they wouldn't have experienced the same bitterness from a good deal of the fanbase. They could have made the same amount of money and engendered more goodwill.

DirkM likes this.
  19. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

Nah, the apology was the unexpected bouquet of that massive download of all the 1965 live recordings. People forget to factor the value of that second enormous box set into the price of Big Blue.

Sean, SPARTACUS, Mr. Explorer and 2 others like this.
  20. kuddukan

kuddukan Forum Resident

That was before Bob started doing them in free time.

rihajarvi likes this.
  21. Wugged

Wugged Forum Resident

For only 6 CD's ?

hodgo and savemenow like this.
  22. HominyRhodes

HominyRhodes Forum Resident

C'mon, you're holding out on us, Percy Song -- I know you have this item out in the barn, too, behind the hay bales, under the bags of chickenfeed:
    [​IMG]

23. kuddukan

kuddukan Forum Resident

Yeah, Cutting Edge 6 CD version started at $150 USD on Amazon from what I recall.

However, before release, they typically fall $20-30 on Amazon.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  24. matt79rome89

matt79rome89 Forum Resident

I'm referring to talk of "Big Red" and saying it was off the table. Perhaps you were only referring to a physical box , 18 cds, and trinkets, but "Big Red" mainly meant a complete session dump to me, which is what we're getting. Neither here nor there really and I don't want to bicker. I've learned to parse through actual facts and assumptions based on those facts pretty well at this stage. Again, I enjoy your posts. I'm probably just too literal sometimes.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  25. kuddukan

kuddukan Forum Resident

Here's some perspective:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The last 4 releases started on Amazon.com as $175, $150, $150, $140. That goes back to Volume 10.

Critter, Quincy, Sean and 10 others like this.