Grateful Dead Dave’s Picks 2019 Subscription

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dtuck90, Oct 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

The Dave's Pick series is still missing:
    1. An Acoustic Set show
    2. A "Shakedown Street"
    3. A Very Special Guest(s) set/show
    4. A "Crazy Fingers"
    5. A 90's era show
    6. A European show
    Did i get those right? What else? 28 Picks released and yet so much unchartered territory left to explore!

Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
  2. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

One of the best all-time openers. Robert Hunter wrote to Garcia after his death and said that when he was there this night and saw this performance of this song, for the first time in his life he had a feeling that they were doing exactly what they were meant to be doing.

3. Paul Remesic

Paul Remesic Forum Resident

Haven't heard this show but will be looking forward to it. That said with #25 being 77, #28 1976 and #29 1977 again I really don't want to see anymore post retirement K&D era for awhile, at least until well into 2020. There are plenty of other eras to pull from like 68-70, 72-73, 79-83, post 83...etc. that would be more interesting at least for me. Also seems strange that he would pull from three straight shows with H>S>F as the centerpiece of the show although I can't complain about that.

Not complaining about the shows per se, just the predictable nature of his picks sometimes. Where is 2/8/70, 2/11/70, 9/28/72, or even 2/19/73 if returned to the vault? Nothing better then a pick like 8/25/72 being revealed in which there wasn't anyone afaik who thought the show was fully in the vault.

4. libertycaps

2/26/77 is one for the ages. Both sets look and sound like EPIC Set IIs! Was one of my Top 10 go to fave tapes back in the day. It just sparkled with energy and inspiration.
    Cannot wait for the Full Norman of this. Not to mention bonus stuff from the night after i've never heard. If you complain about too much pristine crispy sounding '77 GoGD, you are just nutty!!

5. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

whats the second one!

6. DrLunchbox

DrLunchbox Forum Deadhead #1604

In for the sub again. Added the Long Strange Trip blu-ray as well. It's a bittersweet day. Just found out my local brewery is shuttering at the end of the month. I guess I'll be saving money on beer now that can go toward tickets and CDS....

Erik B. likes this.
  7. brew ziggins

brew ziggins Forum Prisoner

Bam! There it is!!!

(2/26/77)

Degree of Happiness: Quite High
    Degree of Surprise: Vanishingly Low.

This had been a favorite show on cassette forever, but I will never forget, sometime in the mid 90s, being picked up at SFO, taken to my friend's duplex in the Haight, indulging in Humboldts finest and auditioning a MR>DAT of the Swing show. Help>Slip>Holy Moly!

8. laf848

laf848 Forum Resident

Ordered the subscription for the 2nd time. I have been listening to the Dead almost daily, for the last 18 months. Started listening to the Dead with the release of the Europe 72, 2 LP set.

Taylor16 and budwhite like this.
  9. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Agreed, but we're getting a different animal here this time around. Phil is an absolute wildebeest on Slipknot! And as that begins to wrap up into the transition to Franklin's, Jerry fires off a round of false harmonics at the end of his solo. This is a very top shelf Slipknot!

10. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Set 1

Terrapin Station, Minglewood Blues, They Love Each Other, Estimated Prophet, Sugaree, Mama Tried, Deal, Playing In The Band > The Wheel > Playing In The Band

Set 2

Samson & Delilah, Tennessee Jed, The Music Never Stopped, Help On The Way-> Slipknot!-> Franklin's Tower, Promised Land, Eyes Of The World-> Dancin' In The Streets-> Around & Around, E: U.S. Blues

And the big jam from the following night:
    (Saint Stephen-> Not Fade Away-> Drums-> Terrapin St)ation-> Morning Dew

11. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

To some of us an 'all-time' GD show being released in limited edition format is the biggest buzzkill of all!

Nothing stops you subscribers from buying a full retail release.

12. I will be subscribing again this—it's a no-brainer for me.

13. DCTaff

DCTaff Forum Resident

The Playing-Wheel-Playing is amazing so is the first Terrapin what a way to open a show

14. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident Thread Starter

CANNOT WAIT

Crispy Rob, jazz_case and Archtop like this.
  15. Zafu

Zafu Cosmic Muffin

Proud purchaser of every release and subscriber of every season wouldn't let this one be the exception.

:pineapple::pineapple::pineapple:

These early subscription order deals are a fantastic value.

Zafu

16. RockRoom

RockRoom I Love My Dog

Phil also lays down a nice solo transition from Eyes into Dancin' which is very beastly!

17. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

One of the better shows from one of my lesser preferred years. I drop in on the 77 stuff less and less every year it seems.But given its accessibility, and a lil help from betty, I totally understand why.

18. PhoffiFozz

PhoffiFozz Forum Resident

I preordered as usual... but I am starting to lose interest, just not enough variety for me. I like variety, I like versatility and no matter how strong '77 shows are, I've got plenty to sustain myself on right now. Sure, I'd eventually want more. But throw me a bone! I know I'm in the minority, but I like Brent, Bruce & Vince, I like a good majority of the later period material and even for the stuff I don't like, it's a nice change to hear something I haven't heard in a while. It also makes me appreciate the '70's stuff more when I hear it. But honestly, I'm listening to a lot of the releases of the last year and having trouble finding my 'fresh ears' to enjoy what I know are good performances. It's almost like a pallet cleanse to hear some different eras!

But let me be clear. This IS a great show and deserving of being released, I just need more versatility. And I also believe in a lot of music from the GD that people (surprising to me) think isn't very good... Yes, there are horrendous moments in the 80's and 90's, but there are blissful ones as well.

19. Davmoco

Davmoco Forum Resident

Got mine reserved for the fourth year.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  20. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

This is the smallest window ever to subscribe, though--today through Nov. 9th? Even two subsriptions ago there was a three-month window.

21. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Do we know how much of the 2/27 show we are getting?

Do we get St. Stephen or just Terrapin onward??

US Blues likes this.
  22. Grateful Griller

Grateful Griller Forum Resident

Swing is such a key show, regardless how many 77 shows they've released...IMO. Not quite the May perfection but that's what makes it so great...that and the incredible set list. Even though I have way more Dead than I actually have time to listen to, I still buy just about every release. Especially the DaP subscriptions. I cherry picked what I thought I wanted the 1st couple years and now seeing how much the early ones fetch on eBay I'm kicking myself...even though I'd never sell them. So if anyone has a copy of the Mosque '77 for face value, I'm your guy...:)

23. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thats only for early birds, subscriptions will still be available at the higher price

24. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

Never mind. :doh:

Matthew Tate likes this.
  25. libertycaps

Early Bird Dealio = $7.69 per disc delivered to yr door. NO BRAINER.

Erik B., Zafu, John Bonham and 6 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.