Rolling Stones Beggars Banquet deluxe

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Daniel Falaschi, Sep 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Yes.
    I agree with Bruce's post but never experienced bonus cuts on the 10 track Banquet but on a second and separate disc like happened with Exile & Some Girls.

2. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

That's why I chose this one too, perfect fit in Japanese mono box.

Jack and nibor like this.
  3. BruceEder

BruceEder Forum Resident

It's entirely possible that they didn't want to give Allen Klein any more ability to exploit their work than he already had. There was an enormous amount of animosity between the Stones and ABKCO circa 1969-70-71, enough so that only the intervention (or threatened intervention) of the courts made it possible to overcome the schism.

The only reason that we even got HOT ROCKS 1964-1971 was because the band owed one more album under their contract with Impact Sound, signed in 1963 or 1964, Andrew Oldham's company, which ABKCO had taken over when it bought Oldham out. And possibly making it worse was the fact that HOT ROCKS went on to become, according to some accounts, the biggest selling LP in the entire history of the band (no small achievement for a full-priced double-LP/double cassette/double 8-track/double-CD/double-hybrid SACD whatever . . . .), which must've amazed the band and delighted them on one level (in terms of their egos), but also made them angry enough to chew neutronium (as they would say on Star Trek) since it was an ABKCO release (yes, they were well-paid, I'm sure, but it did nothing to build up Rolling Stone Records at the time and even competed with their own label, thanks to the presence of the jointly-owned "Brown Sugar" and "Wild Horses"). According to Fred Goodman's Klein biography, there apparently was even a court case over it when Atlantic Records, as the distributor of Rolling Stone Records, tried to press up and sell its own copies of HOT ROCKS, and were enjoined by the court.*

In fact, the only reason we apparently got MORE HIT ROCKS (which I like better than HOT ROCKS) was because ABKCO successfully laid claim to the copyrights on a handful of songs on EXILE ON MAIN STREET, which they were able to prove had originated during the period of the band's (and Jagger and Richards') contractual relationship with ABKCO -- it was part of the settlement, just as METAMORPHOSIS was the result of a settlement (Bill Wyman had the right idea musically, but his proposed song-list would have benefitted Arc Music, Chess Records' publishing arm, far more than ABKCO -- I expect it would also have sold much better than what was released, and made Klein just as much money in the long-run, and if I'd known him then and he'd asked me, I'd have told him to look at it from that point of view).

And then there were those dubious and repetitive vault raids on the Decca label in the early 1970s, of which only NO STONE UNTURNED had any value (that's one that ABKCO ought to have seriously looked at doing on CD).

At times, they do, indeed, seem like a once-married couple, still locked together financially (like each owning 50 percent of the shares in an immensely profitable company, and neither able to act without the other's consent) but, depending on the moment in time, neither ex-partner willing to let the other benefit too much from that relationship.

* in terms of the presence of "Brown Sugar" and "Wild Horses" on Hot Rocks . . . according to Fred Goodman, Klein, when he allowed some of the tracks he owned to appear on a compilation with later Stones material, always calculated as precisely as he could what the existence of that compilation would cost him in sales of the ABKCO albums on which those same tracks also appeared, and made sure he was compensated appropriately. One wonders if Mick Jagger, trained at the London School of Economics, thought along the same line when it came to the presence of those two songs and the number of copies of STICKY FINGERS that didn't sell because people had gotten those cuts on HOT ROCKS . . . .

4. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Yes, as part of the settlement Brown Sugar and Wild Horses were shared. I assume Abkco proved that the songs were written while the Stones were still with Abkco. Brown Sugar was even played at Altamont live for the first time in 1969 as well being originally recorded at Muscle Shoals in 1969 along with Wild Horses.

Hot Rocks was successful so it was natural that a follow up would be compiled as well. The original plan was to Andrew Oldham compile rarities release. However, the idea was dropped and later revisited with Bill Wyman's unissued Black Box compilation and later Metamorphosis. Instead it was decided to compile a compilation of their smaller hits and better album tracks which had not appeared on Hot Rocks. Some rarer tracks which had not appeared on the U.S. albums yet and were included on the compilations like No Stone Unturned, in the U.K. had not been released in the U.S. were included as a compromise. It's a shame the other missing b-sides from the period, (Stoned, I Want To Be Loved, Sad Day and Who's Driving Your Plane) along with I Wanna Be Your Man were not included on More Hot Rocks. It would have made it even more useful to U.S. fans.

905 likes this.
  5. JOHN LOWE

JOHN LOWE Active Member

Well, assuming the tracklist of 'Black Box' doesn't include any unissued tracks, perhaps it will eventually see the light of day?
    Maybe after the LIB 50th release.
    Would be nice....and to include Bill's cuttings in the packaging,also...as was the original intention.

6. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Here is Wyman's original track listing.

Bright Lights Big City - IBC demo - GRRRR! Super Deluxe Edition
    Cops and Robbers (BBC) - On Air
    I'd Much Rather Be With The Boys - Metamorphosis
    Little Red Rooster (Live) - Charlie Is My Darling
    Down The Road Apiece (Live) (BBC) - On Air
    Don't Lie To Me - Metamorphosis
    If You Let Me - Metamorphosis
    Godzi - RCA Studios Hollywood 1966 ?
    Panama Powder Room - RCA Studios Hollywood 1966 ?
    Gold Painted Nails - Olympic Sound 1967
    Fannie Mae (BBC) - On Air
    Down In The Bottom - Chess studios

This information is from the book: "The Rolling Stones an illustrated record by Roy Carr", 1976 (two of the titles have been corrected). Down The Road Apiece is listed as a live track, but it's most likely from the BBC "Top of The Pops" broadcast on March 4, 1965. Godzi & Panama Powder Room are not confirmed to exist, but may be from the 1966 time frame and could be instrumentals from various "Between The Buttons" sessions. Gold Painted Nails is an instrumental from the Satanic Majesties sessions.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
    btltez, KinkySmallFace1991 and bonus like this.
  7. TheDailyBuzzherd

TheDailyBuzzherd Forum Resident

I imagine it's nothing more than artistic integrity. Keeps "The Man"
    from messing with product. Let's count the ways they'd try.

8. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

That would be my guess.

9. I can understand not wanting the running order of albums changed. But I would think that the clause of not adding songs to existing albums on the same physical disc would have to be relatively recent (meaning no earlier than the 1980's) as it simply wasn't possible to add additional tracks to existing vinyl albums due to space limitations. But then, if this clause wasn't part of the original agreement (which was done in the early 1970's), why would ABKCO ever agree to it?

10. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

It's doesn't necessarily have to be recent. Remember back when the Stones were with Abkco the earlier albums had different track listings in the U.S. and U.K. It is possible this clause was put in so that Abkco could not combine the track listings of the U.S. and U.K versions of the earlier albums and reissue them that way.

11. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Only Sympathy is a dedicated mono mix

marcb likes this.
  12. All Down The Line

That would explain why Klein Included 3 Exile snippets on his Abkco promo Songs Of The Rolling Stones in 1975.

13. All Down The Line

Iam sure Klein knew but if not he only needed to watch Gimme Shelter to see both cuts!

John Fell likes this.
  14. CRadtke

CRadtke Forum Resident

15. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

Well there's a reason to buy it (or download one track): the pesky dropout in the middle of Stray Cat Blues has finally be fixed.

EDIT: and there is a NEW dropout 15 seconds before the old dropout. Time to whip out the audio editor again to fix something that should have been fixed by professionals.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
  16. I hope the mastering isn't smashed like on the Satanic deluxe last year.

art likes this.
  17. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

As long as I can use it to fix the tape damage on the 2002 I'll be happy, haha.

IDwithnoE likes this.
  18. All Down The Line

What cd/lp versions has the dropout been on?

19. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

I believe it's on the 2oo2 remasters and on the LPs that have been issued since.

20. All Down The Line

That makes sense as my 20 odd vinyl copies are all pre 2002 (68-88) & my 2 cds are late 80's & mid 00's so need to check the latter as had not noticed it!

21. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

So as to be sure: the SACD of Beggars Banquet 50th is only included in the japanese release? I amsking because Satanic SACDwas also aprt of the US/EUbox.

Thanks.

22. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident

Right, I am going to buy on HDTracks based on this one :)
    And will compare the 176/24 tracks previously downloaded with this mastering. If these masterings are different, I am betting I will hear a difference. Hopefully for the better :)

23. James_S888

Definitely different masterings. They sound different and look completely different. The new one is a whole lot hotter. It's been squashed. Not excessively, or not excessively by modern standards, but it's squashed. The 2002 is more open.
    Not that I am saying either is superior, the 50th anniversary mastering I find pretty good through headphones (Sennheiser 600Ds) but the real test is playing it on my home system. And comparing.
    Who remastered this? Bob Ludwig? It's not Stephen (Masher) Marcussen, that's clear. It can't be Marcussen because it doesn't clip the whole way through.

24. James_S888

It's squashed.

25. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

No, there will be standard US/Eur versions, but without the fancy packaging of the Japanese version.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.