Wings: Wild Life & Red Rose Speedway (Expanded Reissue)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Vaughan, Oct 18, 2018.

1. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

It is on the deluxe

Lewisboogie likes this.
  2. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

After some Spotify listening I must say the re-master of Red Rose Soeedway sounds amazingly good.

3. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Agree with Bemagnus: even on Spotify, Live And Let Die and the Red Rose Speedway material sounds great.

Bemagnus likes this.
  4. freddiebell

freddiebell Forum Resident

It definitely has an unfinished feel to it. But this is a case where the adage "less is more" applies. While it would be nice to hear a finished set of lyrics for the song, the lack of them actually adds to the charm and beauty of the song. The music speaks for itself on this one, and it is brilliant. I could listen to this ten times in a row and still feel enchanted by it. Definitely an underrrated McCartney gem that deserves a wider audience. If the goal of these releases remains to reassess McCartney's output of the time, this can only enhance his reputation.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  5. beatlesfan9091

beatlesfan9091 Forum Resident

I have to wonder: As Paul's McCartney-Red Rose Speedway material continues to be re-evaluated, will this change how people see Band On The Run? My understanding is that BOTR is/was seen as a return to form for Paul after 3 years of second rate material. If those 3 years are seen in a more positive light, what "form" will BOTR be seen as returning to?

6. Frank

Frank Senior Member

Is it no longer a site requirement to list your listening equipment in your profile before commenting on sound quality, or is that one of those rules only certain members are required to follow?

In headphones off of Google Play, Red Rose sounds fantastic. The singles off of it are hit or miss. Live and Let Die in particular sounded more transparent and open on Pure McCartney. C Moon sounds wonky to me, too. Dipped in and out of the other stuff, but a nice presentation for the most part.

7. Jbeck57143

Jbeck57143 Forum Resident

8. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

maui jim and janmaccazwan like this.
  9. Thrillington

Thrillington McCartney Scholar

Can’t tell if snark or not, but as far as I’m aware it is a ‘rule’.

I don’t comment on sound quality much, if at all; because I know I don’t have audiophile equipment, so my experience can’t be qualified. At the most I’ll say that to me the reissue sounds better. How could it not when I first heard Red Rose / Wildlife as crappy mp3s?

I’m just here for the love of the music!

10. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

I first heard these albums when released. Regarding these new remastered I save my final judgement until after spinning the CD on my home-system
    With that said the albums sounds terrific streaming on Spotify premium . Not sure I ever heard stuff Little lamb dragonfly sound more grand

11. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

No, they used the US art for the cover of the UK Venus and Mars. I remember being amazed that a) it happened and, b) nobody but me seemed to care.

theMess and Mr. Explorer like this.
  12. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

By the way it s nice to have Give Ireland back to the Irish back in print with brilliant sound. Always looking Jed the track as a catchy stomper. The message might be a bit naive but it was written as an emotional response to the Bloody Sunday massacre and in that context is understandable. The Version was the B-side if the single-at the time Paul explained they wanted to follow the Jamaican tradition with a B-side an instrumental version of the A-side. Like the version as well-ecspecially Henry’s as usual brilliant guitar. If nothing else -these reissues remind us of that the first incarnation of Wings certanely were a funky little band

supermd, Mr. Explorer, jricc and 2 others like this.
  13. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

When the wind is blowing might be one of the greatest unreleased music released so far in the archive-series. It s imo totally awesome and don t really need words. A piece of music as good as anything Paul’s has done. Could listen to it for eternity -such a melody and such a moody piece

14. MemoInPR

MemoInPR Señor Memo

15. Max Wilbury

Max Wilbury Berlin Beetle

Thank you BuCo, without you I wouldn't have been able to listen to the RRS remaster. For some reasons, only the Wild Life remaster showed up on Spotify Germany during the night. And yes, I had checked under every possible name (Wings, McCartney, Paul McCartney...). Weird.

BuCo likes this.
  16. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

If it helps anyone else...... On UK Spotify (and maybe elsewhere) Wild Life shows up as the top Paul album as a new release, but for Red Rose Speedway I had to scroll right back through the chronological list of albums to find it in its place as the previous album to Band On The Run.

Maybe Spotify can only show 1 album as a "latest release"? :shrug:

pantofis and Max Wilbury like this.
  17. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

That explains why the folks at MPL missed it!

18. SixOClockBoos

SixOClockBoos The Man On The Flaming Pie

Fell off of this thread for a bit...
    Just finished listening to the Wild Life album, and I'm on to the bonus tracks. I wanted to hear RRS first, but I decided to go with WL first because of order. Really good so far.

Wingsfan2012, theMess and Who Cares like this.
  19. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

[QUOTE="Bemagnus, post: 20118764, member: 41784"A piece of music as good as anything Paul’s has done. /QUOTE]
    I better check this out.

Bemagnus likes this.
  20. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Guess so. I would never have noticed it if someone here had not pointed it out.

Wingsfan2012 likes this.
  21. RicZ

RicZ Forum Resident

It's surprising to hear the appreciating these albums are getting now.
    Certainly a big change from the time I was first collecting my McCartney and Wings albums.
    I was advised that "Wild Life" wasn't worth buying, and if you must, get it last.
    I ended up buying the album eventually, and I am glad that I did.

While not a masterpiece I really enjoy "Wild Life".
    Really love "Mumbo", and songs such as "Dear Friend" "Tomorrow" and "I am Your Singer".

Can't wait to hear the remasters.

theMess, Mr. Explorer, jmxw and 2 others like this.
  22. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Wow, that’s weird. They added an extra beat for some reason. It’s sounds intentional to me on my phone. I don’t hear it as a glitch but perhaps it is. Hard to tell but it’s peculiar if it was a choice.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  23. jacden

jacden Senior Member

I just listened on my main system. No way that's intentional. This is definitely a case of sloppy or non-existant quality control. Sad.

I guess we should be grateful that the radio edit on the bonus disc is glitch free.

chacha and vudicus like this.
  24. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

I don t think it s intentional. Also think they have a quality-control that some way did not work here. Not that it matter for me

25. FKA002

FKA002 Forum Resident

Maybe the version we know for 47 years is wrong and that "glitch" version is the right one :shrug:
    ... or I'm never gonna know