Is it true that you should wait 24-hours before re-playing a record?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by John Fontane, Dec 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. riknbkr330

riknbkr330 Senior Member

That's why you buy multiple copies....

Tell that to your wife.

2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

never followed that rule...

John Fontane likes this.
  3. mkane

mkane Strictly Analog

I'll play the same side 10 times in a row

4. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

Got a record you really like?

Play it just as much as you want... 3x in a row, I do. Just play it.

andrewskyDE, John Fontane and Roycer like this.
  5. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

Sounds like BS to me. If you're going to ruin a record because of poor equipment or something, that's going to happen anyway eventually. Only playing it a maximum of once per day will of course prolong the life of the record :D but won't increase the number of times you can listen to it and hear good sound.

Just the same, it's a line worth trying if you want someone to stop playing something you can't stand. You could even try convincing them that certain types of records like rap or grunge or heavy metal are more vulnerable to this than others, because of all the loud bits that cause the stylus to bounce around a lot in the groove and ruin the record through adiabatic heating, and of course if you play it many times in one day it has no chance to cool down so that will ruin it in no time. BS, as I say, but it's worth a try.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
    John Fontane likes this.
  6. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

I just finished playing side 1 of the Ramones' debut, lifted the arm and touched the tip of the stylus.

Doesn't feel hot. Not even warm.

7. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

On the Leave Home, their second album, there is a very hot song, California Sun.... try this next time.
    If the stylus does not feel hot after that...I don't know what to say. :D

8. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

I've waited as long as 30 years...

bever70 and John Fontane like this.
  9. MondoFanM

MondoFanM Member from ATX

Only applies if the record was purchased at Barnes and Noble since they are a little different . . .

F1nut and John Fontane like this.
  10. fogalu

fogalu There is only one Beethoven

With some records, yes.

John Fontane and uzn007 like this.
  11. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

When we did this the last time, here's what was said:
    "Waiting period" for vinyl?

I'm not implying that 'search is your friend' because I'm always searching for stuff, and can't find it. :)

12. Tone?

Tone? Forum Resident

Omg Hahahaha

Thanks man. That was funny

John Fontane likes this.
  13. Madness

Madness "Hate is much too great a burden to bear."

Vinyl needs a burn-in period just like electronics.

Seriously though...if I have vinyl on my porch, and it's been cold outside or hot, I'm not going to play it immediately upon unwrapping it...me and the record gotta acclimate, man.

John Fontane likes this.
  14. John Fontane

John Fontane Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Some think the question is funny which is fine but I’m new to this and would rather ask a stupid question than do something wrong.I’ve been playing records for less than a month and there have been things I’ve done/havent done and wouldnt have known if I hadn’t been told the right way of doing things.

PooreBoy, Kyhl, SirMarc and 5 others like this.
  15. lesterbangs

lesterbangs Forum Resident

Just listened to that album last night... if your stylus isn't scorching hot after listening, something is wrong

uzn007 and 5-String like this.
  16. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

24 minutes. That's why there are two sides, so one side can recover.

ClausH, andrewskyDE, uzn007 and 3 others like this.
  17. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

yeah, keep in mind that a spinning record has constant airflow into and around the grooves, so heat dissipation should occurr really quickly, that is, if there even is any real heat generated, which I doubt.

John Fontane and SandAndGlass like this.
  18. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

If you can't light a cigarette with your stylus after playing it, it's not a Hot Stamper.

19. whaleyboy

whaleyboy Senior Member

I heard exactly this from a guy in a stereo store (store was very vinyl centric, this dude decided that he liked digital better). He amplified this theory by describing how friction is determined by surface area (tiny little point) and weight (even a few grams is significant at a tiny little point).

For my own purposes I don't care. I have not observed wear, I think records are fun and I like using them. I would not enjoy managing them like this.

John Fontane and 5-String like this.
  20. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

I think it’s wait an hour after eating before you swim in the sand while listening to Pink Floyd on vinyl.

[​IMG]

patrickd, Pancat and John Fontane like this.
  21. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I'm with you on that, but it still is a possibility that I would not yet rule out.

Friction does create a lot of heat.

Consider how small the tip if the diamond stylus is and how fine the tiny grooves are.

That stylus is going through those microscopic grooves at a really fast speed, banging into the sides as it moves along.

On a microscopic scale, that stylus might really be banging to the sides of the grooves as it moves. That is bound to create some kind of heat.

How much? Who knows? How quickly will it dissipate? Who knows that. just because air is circulating on the surface of the record, does not necessarily mean that it is getting down into the grooves.

That cushion of air may actually be an insulator which is preventing the perhaps colder air above it from getting down into the grooves?

The high frequency grooves along the side walls of the "V" shaped groove are truly microscopic. they might get fairly hot from the friction created by they stylus digging its way through the grooves, while we as observers prefer to think of the stylus just gliding through the grooves.

On the microscopic scale, where all this is happening, it might be far more violent.

We do know that something is wearing out our records. Obviously, it is friction.

Hurricanes look like pretty clouds when you are in space.

You never know? Expert advice needed in this thread!

soundQman and John Fontane like this.
  22. Joey Kaspick

Joey Kaspick Forum Resident

If you read it on "The Google" it must be true.......right?

John Fontane likes this.
  23. John Fontane

John Fontane Well-Known Member Thread Starter

i forgot where i heard/read it, but i wanted to check here.

24. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

There's a fascinating passage in Laura Dearborn's excellent 1987 book Good Sound: An Uncomplicated Guide To Choosing and Using Audio Equipment that describes and quantifies the transitory but intense speed, force, and heat involved in the stylus traveling along a vinyl groove — it's pretty dramatic (with the polyvinyl chloride sometimes approching the melting point) even if the groove is pretty resilient.

I'm traveling so I can't grab my copy of the book and quote it, but the point I took from her description isn't some silly rule of thumb about letting the record recover for 24 hours or whatever. But it also makes me think it's equally ridiculous to join a scoffing mob heaping scorn on the idea that intense heat and friction are involved in vinyl record playing or that a reasonably prudent degree of caution is advisable when playing the same grooves repeatedly in a brief time frame.

25. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

I'm not concerned. I normally don't want to listen to the same record more than once in the same day anyway.

bever70 and John Fontane like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.