Jackson Browne anyone?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Floatupstream, Dec 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Floatupstream

Floatupstream Forum Resident Thread Starter

New member. Big JB fan, especially his 70’s stuff. My fave is Late For the Sky,later stuff not so much except for I’m Alive. Why is it that most artists have that brief period where everything is high level and then a fallen off. The exuberance of youth? What is your favorite?

joy stinson, Nib, Slim Zooms and 6 others like this.
  2. Bossfan

Bossfan Forum Resident

Only have Running on Empty 5.1 but it is one of my favourites.

Jim Walker, Tuco, Terry and 3 others like this.
  3. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

Major fan here. Named one of my sons after him. Some of my fave stuff ever up through Lawyers in Love (including “Somebody’s Baby”). I firmly believe that some songwriters just run out of ideas. JB was always a bit derivative of himself a la the Kinks. But I loved it until it went south (and political) at Lives in the Balance and beyond.

Late For the Sky FTW.

4. TimM

TimM Senior Member

I'm a big fan and would agree that "Late For the Sky" is his best, but I can find great value on everything right up til today.

5. grx8

grx8 Senior Member

Another fan over here. Great singer-songwriter.
    I saw him live in May at the Beacon. He is in great shape, a must see.

CCrider92 likes this.
  6. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

Hello new member!!

Casual fan......find him hit or miss.....the "hits" are fantastic though.....Saturate, LFTS, I'm Alive....thought Time The Conqueror was fantastic, but that was the last of his albums to really engage me.

7. blaken123

blaken123 Your Greater Tri-County CD Superstore

Love those first few albums! And The Pretender - Lawyers in Love seem underrated IMO. Still trying to get For Everyman on CD in the "old" mastering :cry:

Rickchick likes this.
  8. townsend

townsend Senior Member

A fine singer/songwriter -- and this song, Doctor My Eyes, is just killer: Enjoy:

Nib, Rickchick and nytechy like this.
  9. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

The 60's - 70's were a very fertile period for a lot of songwriters > Browne, N Young, Dylan, Mitchell, Beatles & solo, Brian Wilson, etc. It was a time of great creativity and political and cultural turmoil which I believed sparked a lot thoughtful, introspective writing. There are still songwriters creating quality stuff but times have changed and they don't get the attention they deserve. I often compare it to the turmoil in the world and US in the first half of the 20th Century where we produced writers like Lewis, Dreiser, Crane, Steinbeck, Sinclair, Farrell, Wright, etc. I've seen Browne many times over the years, and he never disappoints on stage. As for the last several albums they could be made into one excellent double lp IMHO.

Rickchick and Joti Cover like this.
  10. lazydawg58

lazydawg58 Know enough to know how much I don't know

Late For the Sky was one of the first albums I ever bought! I enjoy most all of his work. Currently trying to learn to play These Days. It’s hard to believe he wrote that at 16, even got it recorded around that time (1967) by Nico. My favorite version is from his old roommate Gregg Allman on his solo album Laid Back.

11. Craigman1959

Craigman1959 Forum Resident

I remember hearing Doctor My Eyes when I was like 12. Still buying 45's at the time but that song stuck with me. Seems like his next single didn't do well and then I forgot about him until The Pretender and Here Come Those Tears hit the radio. Went and got all the albums, and then Running On Empty hit. And it doesn't get more up close and personal than Late for the Sky for me. What a beautiful album. Have seen him multiple times and he is the only major artist i've seen that takes requests during the show. I love Jackson.

Rickchick, CCrider92 and lazydawg58 like this.
  12. Socalguy

Socalguy Forum Resident

Big long time JB fan here, and yup, Late for the Sky is a bona fide masterpiece.

13. Floatupstream

Floatupstream Forum Resident Thread Starter

For Everyman is a great album, just thought the mix was too dead. Everything sounds muffled on both my album and cd. It is the one of the classic albums that needs remastering. Our Lady of the Well is also one of my favorites

14. Sammy Waslow

Sammy Waslow Just watching the show

Late for the Sky is a gem, and the scene in Taxi Driver with the title track is one of my all-time favourite moments in cinema. I love everything Jackson did up to Hold Out, and then it's a bit hit and miss, but when he's on target, he's magnificent, and the voice is still there.
    I met him a few times before shows. A lovely guy. I once asked him about the alternate version of For A Dancer that has appeared on a few releases, including The Very Best of Jackson Browne 2CD. It was done was to accompany a TV montage of footage from the Olympic Games (I think for Los Angeles 1984). It was "beefed up" to suit the television broadcast. I'm pretty sure it was included on the compilation in error.
    He knew I was no eBay autograph dealer if I was coming out with nerdy questions like that!

15. Socalguy

Socalguy Forum Resident

Allman also does a great cover of “Shadow Dancer”, another beautiful song Browne wrote when he was just a kid. It originally appeared on an album by Tom Rush, and might’ve been the first song Browne ever sold as a songwriter. Check it out.

lazydawg58 likes this.
  16. rjp

rjp Senior Member

his last 3 or 4 albums have just been killer. give them a try, you can probably find them used cheap.

'the naked ride home' has 12 songs and there is not one second of down time on it, quite possibly his best overall album, and i include 'late for the sky' in there.

i've seen him live 7 times and he never puts on a bad show, never.

17. lazydawg58

lazydawg58 Know enough to know how much I don't know

And Gregg did Song for Adam on his last album before his death. It will break your heart.

Joti Cover and CCrider92 like this.
  18. kanakaris

kanakaris Forum Resident

Never knew about this 5.1.
    Any details ?Format ?

19. vegafleet

vegafleet Forum Resident

Big fan here, but the first 3 albums should be remixed. Fantastic material and performances but the mixes are anemic. Poster above is right that on the 2CD comp some of the old tracks do sound remixed or "beefed up", but a careful curated remix would be great. But they sound very much of their time.

Swamiji, CCrider92 and Mooserfan like this.
  20. kanakaris

kanakaris Forum Resident

Plus ,all his versions of 'Take it Easy' are way better than that famous one .

Rickchick, Jim Walker and CCrider92 like this.
  21. Good timing for this thread - just went through my Browne vinyl needle drops of this first five LPs. Jackson was a major fav of mine in his 70's heyday - saw him live a few times, including a 2/77 show at the Paramount Theater in Portland, OR opened by a then virtually unknown solo Warren Zevon. Kind of lost my attraction for a time after that, but I've come to appreciate him a bit more again now. Capsule assessment - Jackson Browne and For Everyman - while limited - both have an endearing and appealing earnestness, though as mentioned above, each could certainly stand some remastering to bring out the clarity a bit. I thought he let his increased ambitions get the better of him somewhat on Late For the Sky and The Pretender, and don't enjoy them as much as the first two. For me Running On Empty - when he relaxed a bit and stopped taking himself so seriously - stands as his most consistent and enduring work. I've given a few of his later LPs a perfunctory listen, and while I appreciate the more political bent, the melodic gift seems to have flown. "Somebody's Baby" though is a very catchy single.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
    CCrider92 likes this.
  22. kanakaris

kanakaris Forum Resident

23. johnod

johnod Forum Resident

I was never a fan of JB, didn't hate him , just not a fan, might have something to do with the constant radio play back in the day.

Lately when I hear him, and this song in particular, I enjoy it a lot.

I particularly like that line, " was I unwise to leave them open for so long".

24. Socalguy

Socalguy Forum Resident

and this

Dennis Metz, Nib and CCrider92 like this.
  25. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I have always loved the Running On Empty album and the 5.1 is great.
    I also really liked Lawyers in love and Lives In The Balance

CCrider92 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.