Noise complaint

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Tim 2, Dec 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

What do you call someone who comes into a long thread without reading it and posts the same thing that's been posted a dozen times already?

Kyhl, Tim 2 and juno6000 like this.
  2. Wombat Reynolds

Wombat Reynolds Jimmy Page stole all my best riffs.

I'm late to this thread and so all my stuff/advice may already have been posted.

Bass is the hardest thing to stop... the only real thing that will realistically prevent bass from travelling is mass and density. Dead air will help but it must be completely isolated and dead. Even that... mass and density.

Bass will find a way to mischief, its the Loki of all soundwaves.

And killing it is often expensive or involves a hell of a lot of work.

The fact that your neighbor complained, means that you are in a tough spot.

The realistic choices you have - 1. Turn it down in the garage. Or kill the bass in the garage. 2. Give up the garage and go someplace else to turn it up. 3. Get out your wallet and get down to work. A couple of slaps of drywall aint gonna do it. Will help but....

I built a recording studio in my house and my god, what an undertaking. It took a YEAR. Even then I couldnt kill ALL the bass because the heating and air conditioning duct work. But it is a completely, or almost completely, isolated room with a room. Dropped ceiling with dead air between it and floor above... sidewalls are two sheets of 5/8 drywall, then dead air, then another set of walls, all two sheets of 5/8 drywall thick. Bass traps as well, in the corners.

3. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

[​IMG]

Tim 2, Dan Steele, showtaper and 3 others like this.
  4. Eliminating the bass is gonna be tough (as you and a lot of others have mentioned). If it was me, I'd reduce the bass at the source through EQ a lot; certainly the cheapest option. Yeah, the sound will suffer a bit, but the listening space is a garage so it's not like it's an acoustically ideal space anyways. And there's a good system in the house for that.

Tim 2 and Wombat Reynolds like this.
  5. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Move to a deserted area high in the hills?

Tim 2 likes this.
  6. alexpop

Not to played LOUD but Judas Priest.:D

juno6000 likes this.
  7. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

You could go the Portlandia route, and simply explain to the neighbor that you can't turn the volume down because you're living your truth.

KT88, juno6000 and uzn007 like this.
  8. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Seems weird to read some of these comments. As with most things, context is important and I much prefer to adopt a "shades of gray" approach to a binary way of thinking.

Most people try not to cause trouble onto others. My experience has been that most will tend to be thoughtful before causing noise that will negatively impact others. There are always exceptions, of course. One dumb woman decided to adopt a dog and a bird simultaneously. They did not especially like each other. The bird's squeaks would make the dog bark which would make the bird squeak... You get the picture. The noise was so loud that even though she was 4 doors down, we would easily hear the cacophony in our living room for *hours*. Every. Single Day. This would occur when that woman was away.

I attempted to reason with her but she just rolled her eyes and close the door. With people this selfish and careless, there's no way to get through to them so I ended up making an audio recording and shot it to the building's management with a strongly worded email indicating how it's unacceptable that because she wants pets that the whole floor should suffer. She was told by management to either get rid of the pets or to pack up her bags. She chose the first and would shoot me with daggers out of her eyes whenever she would see me. Not that I cared.

So even though there are these types out there, most people are far more considerate and in some cases, aren't even aware that they are the source of a problem. In this case, if the neighbor had never mentioned anything, the OP never would have known there was a problem to begin with.

It's never as simple as stating that no complaint at 6pm has any validity regardless of context or reason. Or that automatically turning down is the only answer or else you're being a bad neighbor. I would urge anybody jumping to conclusions to be open-minded about other factors being part of the situation.

Have you taken the opportunity to blast music in your garage to the level you enjoy and listen to the resulting noise levels in your neighbor's home, yet? If so, how bassy was it? Barely noticeable? Strangely pronounced?

Tim 2 likes this.
  9. juno6000

juno6000 Forum Resident

You know what I hate? The people with subwoofers in their cars that insist on blasting their music on the street outside my place. It is ridiculous. I can actually feel it and it is super annoying. Then when I go outside to see where it is coming from their whole car is buzzing and rattling. But the bass frequencies really do penetrate into my living room. I should add that they are just sitting there on the street. They don't even live here for the most part. Then they always toss their fast food garbage/bones in the street which then blows up to my front door due to a wind vortex that blows everything into my entryway. So I end up picking up their trash rather than step over it or look at it. I'm going to just start calling the police because I have had it. And it is multiple cars. They must be dealing drugs because once the yellow convertible mustang shows up, others follow. All blasting crap. When I see someone handing burner phones to people out of their car window it kind of makes me wonder.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
    The Pinhead, dalem5467, Tim 2 and 3 others like this.
  10. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

I had them round. big guys all in black with gigantic decibel counters but I was playing Bach solo cello at the time. I had been playing Jesus and Mary Chain earlier, the Bach was just as Goth. I told them the guy upstairs was an idiot they agreed.

entropyfan, The Pinhead and juno6000 like this.
  11. juno6000

juno6000 Forum Resident

Man, JAMC has always been one of my favorite bands!
    These days I listen to Stoned and Dethroned more than anything else. LOL

royzak2000 likes this.
  12. juno6000

juno6000 Forum Resident

Redundant?

showtaper likes this.
  13. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

One of the very few bands were I got each album on release.

14. juno6000

juno6000 Forum Resident

Me too!

royzak2000 likes this.
  15. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

My only other band at that time was Throwing Muses.

16. alexpop

Make sure they don't suspect you. Happened to me with a bunch of druggy kids. And was given the throat slashed scare thing.

17. juno6000

juno6000 Forum Resident

I have one of their releases. I forget the name of the album. There was a super catchy song on it though. Not too soon, maybe? Ill have to look for that CD

18. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

And others. You will not be able to help yuorself

19. alexpop

Comprise is in order the cheapest route is headphones.
    Second ( bit of money/hassel )sound installation. Of course makes no sense if garage door is open hence BLAST.
    3Rd option go your friends house play LOUD music there. ( zilch cost).
    4th option ( expensive ) move house.

20. David A.

David A. Forum Resident

Same here. I guess you think it's awesome to bother your neighbors in an uncivil AND illegal fashion. I'm glad there are no neighbors around me like you!

21. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

You might be miss reading this situation. I’ve been on a waiting list to be his best friend for awhile now, it’s very competitive.

Kyhl, Tim 2 and timztunz like this.
  22. timztunz

timztunz Audioista

Awesome, we’re in agreement. Merry Christmas.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  23. timztunz

timztunz Audioista

You made it a long time ago brother.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  24. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

[​IMG]

Kyhl, showtaper and Tim 2 like this.
  25. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE Thread Starter

I hate to dislodge this thread from the trollers, there having a very good time, but my main system is well away from any neighbour's homes so no complaint has been forthcoming. Lately it's become a back ground music system.
    Not sure why the shed has become the preferred place to engage, as I mentioned earlier some come in work close, some want to smoke, some just don't want to party on expensive furniture, the ex's nurse friends just want to harass me.

Still not sure what to do, been soldering up radio's and amps and looking to improve the pleasures of music since about 1968, will have a hard time doing without the music I love at a level I enjoy. What can I say. :wantsome:

LarryP, forthlin and SandAndGlass like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.