Paul McCartney releases surprising new single 'Get Enough'...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lazydynamite, Jan 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lazydynamite

lazydynamite Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

UGH....stop that auto-tune!

3. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

Wow I haven't listened to Egypt Station yet but his voice has gotten worse than I realized and I dislike the effects on this recording.

Bingo Bongo, HenryH, Jimmy B. and 4 others like this.
  4. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

I am not pleased that there is a separate thread for this song. I would prefer that the song go unnoticed.

5. lazydynamite

I do like the fact that he seems and feels the need to drop new songs in a much more random way than he has for decades...McCartney new music is always welcome to these ears considering the stage of the game he is at...And yes I kind of like it too.

6. Pal Joey

Pal Joey Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

He sounds much better on Egypt Station than on "Get Enough" — underneath all the AutoTune it sounds like he's been gargling with sandpaper. The songwriting on the album is better than this, too. Don't be scared off!

7. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

Hmm. Not sure about the production but only one listen so far. Have just been listening to the One Of Us Must Know (Sooner Or Later) sessions from the large 'Cutting Edge' Dylan set, so I guess this has a struggle. However I'm going to give it another go now. Is this some sort of trailer for the rumoured expanded version of the Egypt Station album?

SoundDoctor and NumberEight like this.
  8. vinylbeat

vinylbeat Forum Resident

This song makes "Fuh You" sound like a masterpiece.

9. lazydynamite

That's what I'm hoping for....

jmxw likes this.
  10. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

Really?? So far we have had..Fuh You, Back In Brazil, Who Cares and now this...I would need a lot of persuading before I part cash on this album I'm afraid.

11. lazydynamite

'Who Cares' seems like a good song with decent songwriting to me?

12. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Wow. Not good.

I didn't realize this was on the new album. I can't remember hearing it - which is kind of ironic, since I now have eight copies of the new album (three different colored vinyl version, and five copies of the CD because I purchased tickets for McCartney concerts).

13. JFS3

JFS3 Senior Member

Looks like my decision to quit listening to McCartney after Tug of War is still paying dividends.

TS582, dewey02, spindly and 21 others like this.
  14. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

:D I burst out laughing. I made it through the one minute mark on this one. Yeah, all of a sudden Fuh You rises up the scale.

SoundDoctor likes this.
  15. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

I think so. And I really like Back In Brazil.

whisper3978, I333I, angelees and 4 others like this.
  16. lazydynamite

Each to their own....Quitting after 'Tug Of War' has deprived yourself of nearly 40 years of incredible music .

17. Pal Joey

Pal Joey Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Check out I Don't Know, Despite Repeated Warnings, Dominoes and Hunt You Down/Naked/C-Link. Those are my favorites on the album (although I, unlike most Macca fans it seems, have no problem with Fuh You besides the name).

DocShipe likes this.
  18. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I can understand why this didn’t make Egypt Station.:)

The song isn’t especially great, but it’s the auto tune that really kills it. Sounds like Paul is undergoing an horrific medical procedure.

19. lazydynamite

I like it but yes I can clearly see why it was left off the album too....He should release everything as a bonus set because many of us fans like hearing new McCartney music.There WILL be a time in the not too distant future when new stuff will never happen again.

20. JayB

JayB Senior Member

Dear god that’s awful. What is he thinking??

21. vinylbeat

vinylbeat Forum Resident

Imagine if "Get Enough" was released along side "Fuh You" as a second double A side single from ES!

I just wonder what the people in Paul's inner circle thought of this track before it dropped? Probably the same old same old...."Really brilliant track Paul!" I guess no one has the heart to give Macca any valid criticism at this point.

But the real question is.......will it be in the deluxe ES limited box set.......and also released on vinyl?........lol!

Zeki likes this.
  22. lazydynamite

I think it's obvious that the 'Elvis Costello' voice in Paul's head might have been about this one....hehe

SoundDoctor and omikron like this.
  23. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

Seems likely. Had a second listen and it is winning me over. It has some interesting dynamics. I do struggle a little with the vocal style and submission to modern production techniques but this does have some interesting segments that do not outstay their welcome. I do like the thunderous bass and the ending. I do need to return to this album. It did get pushed out of the way by the mass of box-sets arriving at the end of last year which I'm still working through. You may ask why I'm listening to The Cutting Edge, but that is as an accompaniment to the book 'That Thin, Wild Mercury Sound' by Daryl Sanders that I'm reading at the moment!

It is very odd listening to these latest McCartney offerings at the same time as the BBB set. It does show a radically different McCartney, but having said that I'm dipping into tracks from Egypt Station as I write and Dominoes does remind me a little of the Paul of old.

I think that what is affecting my enjoyment of his latest work is that there is a clash lyrically with expectations. That is probably me, but having had a bit of a break from the album the tracks I'm hearing now seem to be less harsh and are probably bedding in. Purely on a listening experience without the baggage of waiting for something that is going to change the world it is OK. Mind you I haven't dipped into Fuh You yet!

24. lazydynamite

I have no problem with him doing stuff like this.It might not be everyone's cup of tea but it's new music.I think the 'McCartney inner circle' you speak of should be more concerned with speaking up about the singing he does on a live stage these days.

angelees and Lewisboogie like this.
  25. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

Incredible. The McCartney-devotees writes this off after ONE listen, even though they have written page after page during the last few months on how Egypt Station takes time to sink in. I guess morality has 2 sides. And in 2 days the whole bunch starts going: “I gave it a second listen. It’s better with time”. Blah, blah, blah...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.