Playing 4 speakers at once

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by dennis1077, Dec 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thomas_A

Thomas_A Forum Resident

Yes, I know of that problem. :) It is a compromise. My wife accepted those I have now.

2. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

I've used up my compromises over the last 40 some years.

3. Thomas_A

Thomas_A Forum Resident

And you are not allowed to have paintings on the wall? This was my solution but disguised as damping panels...

4. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I use furniture "disguised as damping panels..."

Sofa's work wonderfully well.

Thomas_A likes this.
  5. shokhead

They would be her choice, not me and allowed has nothing to do with it.
    Being happy does

SandAndGlass likes this.
  6. shokhead

Got those! Carpet also

SandAndGlass likes this.
  7. SandAndGlass

Sound like, you're in business...

8. shokhead

I suppose!

9. Thomas_A

Thomas_A Forum Resident

Agreed. Having carpet, sofas, decorations, wall decoration, coffee table all contribute to diffusion/absorption. It's very important.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  10. shokhead

A coffee table would reflect.
    Heard someone from somewhere, maybe on here years ago say going into your bathroom and sing or bring a radio. Then take the towels out and shower curtain if you have one and rugs and then do it again. Fun example.

11. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

This is so true. One of my bathrooms which has a tile floor has three rugs in it. When I remove the rugs to clean there is an obvious change acoustically. This simple change really shows how having tile or wood floors without rugs really changes the acoustics in a room. Probably not in a positive way in regard to reflections.

My main system is in my living room (17' x 14') with pine floors. I couldn't imagine how it would sound without the area rug and furniture (two couches and a recliner). Even with that I doubt it's great acoustically with sheetrock walls and three windows.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
  12. dennis1077

dennis1077 Forum Resident Thread Starter

New banana plugs are out for delivery. I may be able to proceed with my experiment today! I'm working without stands so placement is less than idea.

Option 1: My desk:

This option has sound coming from behind. The issue is one speaker will be higher than the other. I imagine this will screw up the soundstage. I can move them on the same level but they would be REALLY close. Whether close proximity is good or bad.....I don't really know.

[​IMG]

Desk

Option 2: My dresser:

This option has sound coming from the side. Speakers are now even but possible still too close together.

[​IMG]

Dresser

Option 3: My stereo:

This option would have four speakers up front and would take some re-arranging.

First, I'd push the towers to the side and against the wall. I'd then move my receiver to the lower shelf where my pre-amp and headphone sit (I'd have about 2 inches of breathing room for the Onkyo). I'd then place the bookshelf speakers on either side of my turntable.

[​IMG]

Tower

I'd be curious to know what options you guys prefer.

13. Thomas_A

Thomas_A Forum Resident

Depends. Put a mirror on it. Do you see the drivers?

14. dennis1077

Just hooked up all four speakers. It sounds awesome!

15. shokhead

Of course it does!

dennis1077 likes this.
  16. SandAndGlass

Excellent!

See, you don't know until YOU try something for yourself and see what YOU think if how it sounds. No one else's opinions really matter at that point, do they?

Amplifier not smoking? No amplifier on fire?

The world as you know it, is not coming to an end!

No impending doom?

What a relief!

Enjoy your 4-speaker music!

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
    SteelyNJ, 62caddy and billnunan like this.
  17. dennis1077

I kept an eye on the amplifier to see if it was running hot. Granted I didn't do any extended listening but no issues!

SandAndGlass and 62caddy like this.
  18. SandAndGlass

Under normal listening I doubt if you will have any issues. If you have it turned up to the point of distortion, use common sense and back back down a couple notches.

Most all amplifier's have built in protection circuits in them.

The "protection" circuits are there to protect the manufacturer from warranty claims.

If an amplifier is drawing too much current than it will start to heat up and a thermal sensor will normally kick in and shut it down until it cools off.

In the early days, I bought a little $99, 100-Watt stereo receiver from Amazon to use with my rear channel speakers. At the slightest bit of clipping, it would shut down.

Now when most amps or receiver's do they, they would just cut out for a few seconds and then cut back on again.

But this one was very annoying, it would turn completely off and you would have to power it back up again.

After dealing with this, ffor a year or two, I replaced it with a 50-Watt Emotiva Fusion Flex power amplifier and it has never shut down on me.

This is the same inexpensive receiver that has the speaker "A" and speaker "B" switches. It wasn't until you read the fine print that it informed you, that if you were going to run two both speaker's at the same time, they need to be 16-Ohm speaker's, which about nobody owns these days.

19. shokhead

I can set how high the volume goes in the menu to protect ME! Most receivers I'm guessing has this.

20. SandAndGlass

One feature that I really could not deal with was receiver's that, after I turned them off, did not return to the volume that I was previously playing them at when I turned them back on again.

I want a receiver not a nanny.

I doubt that having a receiver turn on at a loud volume is going to blow the door out or your ear drum's either.

Hearing damage is the result of volume over a period of time.

Unless your receiver can calculate that, then it would serve little purpose.

Also, your receiver has no idea how sensitive you speaker's are that you have attached to it.

Speaker's with different sensitivities are going to play at different volume level's.

I do understand player's that limit the volume or at least advise people who are wearing ear buds about the possibilities of hearing damage.

21. dennis1077

My listening room is small so there's no need for high volume.

At first I followed the manual and lowered the impedence switch. I've since switched back to the original setting. My amp doesn't seem stressed at all.

22. SandAndGlass

Neither @Helom nor myself expected it would be.

23. shokhead

Well the worst thing for speakers is sudden loud volume. I can set mine to come on at either any volume or selected volumes, I forget which one.
    Mine is set at -20db max volume to protect me, not my equipment.:laugh:

Bill Mac likes this.
  24. SandAndGlass

OK.

I prefer for my equipment to come on at the same volume it was when I turned it off.

Your speaker does not know or care if you turn on the volume low and then turn it up or it turns on at the same level that you had it turned up.

That is an entirely different matter than an amp turning on with a loud pop coming from your speaker's, which is why most modern amps have soft start circuits.

25. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I disagree. Having a receiver or any hub of a sound system with a specific preset volume level on power up is a positive feature not a negative one. Many times I've had listening sessions where the volume was cranked when I powered off my system. The last thing I want is to power up my system then have playback start at an elevated volume. If one lives by themselves and doesn't have any neighbors then I guess it's not an issue. If one powers up their system late at night or early in the morning with elevated volume doesn't make their loved ones or neighbors very happy.

Another factor is if other family members use ones system. With preset power up volume and maximum volume levels set it minimizes the possibility of doing damage to ones system. Also if the volume is extremely loud then one risks damaging their speakers with a sudden blast of high volume content.

Is it really that hard to turn up the volume when one powers up their system to the desired volume level? It's certainly much easier than trying to lower the volume if it's extremely loud and the remote isn't right at hand ;).

Hymie the Robot, shokhead and bever70 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.