Abbey Road 50th Anniversary Discussion. What Can We Expect?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mark Fricke, Sep 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

I haven't heard one yet, where can I find these?

Well, that will always be available, I'm curious about new sounds and insights; I love the White Album-remixes!

drum_cas and bherbert like this.
  2. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

We already know a lot of these from bootlegs (such as the River Rhine tapes releases). While a lot of the alternate takes of LiB songs from these sessions are really interesting (such as the The Two of Us and Get Back in many different versions) most of these are just fragments or even pisstakes (by the way, you can add Besame Mucho and Leaning on a Lamppost to this list) and barely listenable. Do we really want discs full with tracks like this?

blutiga likes this.
  3. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

Let's all hold tight to see what comes our way. "Sgt Pepper" & "The Beatles" were impressive with the bonus content so far.There could possibly be things we never knew about. Maybe songs done in different ways. Maybe songs with different vocals. Maybe versions of songs with extra verses. Let's look forward to it & be surprised! My opinion.

drum_cas and kevintee like this.
  4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Amazon dot com.

5. Ern

Ern Senior Member

As we know now, there are no early takes of the White Album songs recorded at Trident.
    Wonder if we'll get one from You Never Give Me Your Money, since the bulk of the song was recorded at Olympic studios.

6. BeatlesObsessive

BeatlesObsessive The Earl of Sandwich Ness

Though if they include You Know My Name with it's 1967 basic track and 1969 vocals ...then wouldn't that give them license to have Macca & Ringo dub in some 2019 drums and bass???

7. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

I just want a nice, new all-analog vinyl from original masters.

8. BeatlesObsessive

It would be a throwaway but it harkens back to the peak of unity days of Yellow Submarine and it's an all hands on deck performance that has John and George on lead and rhthym while Ringo and Paul are locked in with some real punchy sound behind them. Throw in well recorded harmonies and you've got an admitted mixed bag but as well recorded and elemental Beatle recording as What Goes On! Team Beatles all together now!

9. Prophetzong

Prophetzong Forum Resident

With Kevin Gray doing the mastering for the Lp. And use the new SRX vinyl for pressings.

kronning likes this.
  10. BeatlesObsessive

My goodness I agree...but if I didn't I'd say that ONE thing the remix could do is restore the power of the drums. I think the album gives more space to everything so the drums don't cut through as they did before sometimes but then again you feel the drums on the first three tracks as opposed to some of the more complex side 2 mixes where drums get buried with all the reductions and overdubs. If Giles is already finished with his remix hope the album remix can restore some punch on the medley songs. Giles might want to consult with a remix producer with some ideas about the Beatles drum sound! They need to redo Something ...mustn't lose the drums like on some WA tracks!!

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
  11. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

I love your passion and lists, with one MAJOR exception. Do NOT include I'm Ready/Save The last Dance For Me/Don't Let Me Down (early version). Please no. A thousand times no. Gone Gone Gone is far superior. Hell, Commonwealth is much better... or the White Power/Get Off jam. Please sir, reconsider:laugh:

Wingspan, Who Cares and gja586 like this.
  12. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident

If the Abbey Road remix is even half as good as the White Album remix then I can’t wait.

Who Cares, AllenR and The Beave like this.
  13. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident

What are your plans following this? Do you have a plan to go and look at Abbey Road in the future?

Well, when Sgt Pepper came out and it was really well received, I’m sort of humbled by it. You don’t expect these things to be that well received, you just do the best you can. The White Album has to come out first. We’ll see. I mean, if I do it, I'd have to start very soon because of the amount of work that needs to go into it…but at the same time I've got to finish this Elton John film at the moment, it’s a really good laugh actually. We finish shooting tomorrow, wrap party’s tomorrow.

So, yeah, if I do it (the Abbey Road remix) then there are no plans yet. I think we’d have to look at it and see whether we can make a difference to it. That’s my attitude. And if you can’t, then don’t do it. So, yeah, I don't know yet. We’ll see.

“The White Album isn’t the sound of the band breaking up”: DiS Meets Giles Martin / In Depth // Drowned In Sound

green_ovation likes this.
  14. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

Seriously doubt "White Power" or "Commonwealth" or "No Pakistanis" will get an official release. Imagine the headlines...

15. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

Then, honestly, why are you STILL here?

Be happy with what you like and stop trolling on things that haven't even been released yet.
    Beave

16. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

For Let It Be I would look at what multi-tracks exist from Saville Row - unlikely the Nagra's would be mined for stand alone audio. This of course eliminates Twickenham performances so no Watching Rainbows, Let It Down, etc.

Others will know more but from memory I Lost My Little Girl l, I Want You, Teddy Boy and Sticks and Stones (Billy vocal) were multi-tracked along with lots of (excellent IMO) alternate takes of Get Back, Two Of Us, Don't Let Me Down along with the Jan 31st film session.

beatleroadie likes this.
  17. WildHoneyPie

WildHoneyPie Here's a autobiographical song for ya

I agree with not putting this as audio on the set but please do put I'm Ready/Save The last Dance For Me/Don't Let Me Down in the video portion as it sounds like they're all having great fun with them enjoying themselves and giggling

18. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

I don't recall seeing any video of this medley in my travels. It certainly may exist, and yea, watching them butcher these songs may be fun, but they are still awful renditions. Ron

19. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

That was multi-tracked though so it has a place on an outtakes disc. I love it, The Save The Last Dance portion is awful of course but the sudden blast of Don't Let Me Down is a great moment. Glyn Johns included it on his first Get Back LP assembly. A Let It Be box MUST include one of the Glyn Johns compilations.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
    Colocally and WildHoneyPie like this.
  20. WildHoneyPie

WildHoneyPie Here's a autobiographical song for ya

A RSD/streaming service offical release of one of Glyn's Get Back albums would be a great move from apple.

FJFP likes this.
  21. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

Please put back the switch "click" that was edited out of "I Want You (She's So Heavy)" that was edited out in the 2009 remaster!

Mark E. Moon and blutiga like this.
  22. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

If that's all you want, just get the 1987 cd.

Lewisboogie and The Beave like this.
  23. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

Well I've got one of those already, haven't I. But if I could hear that through modern A/D equipment, it could be even better.

24. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

You don't think we'll get 1 disc called "Twickenham Rehearsals" or something like that, which would be like "Fly on the Wall" but instead it would be individually listed and more complete songs? It could have MONO/NAGRA REEL or something on the label/CD face design like a film reel or canister. Could be cool, even if it's not hi-fidelity.

With some Anthology tracks and "Fly On The Wall" Apple has shown it's not opposed to releasing sub-par quality audio if it deems it historically valuable and interesting.

25. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

If Apple is interested in editing useful parts from different takes together, a Twickenham disc would be worth listening to more than once. It goes against the original intention of the sessions, but so did the 1970 Spector version, so that fairly well negates an orthodox approach.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.