New Luxman electronics

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Daedalus, Oct 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stax o' wax

stax o' wax Forum Resident

That is beautiful!!

freesole likes this.
  2. freesole

freesole Forum Resident

After auditioning the 509X for a week, the local dealer was nice enough to now let me try the 590AXII. It is still breaking in but I have to say that I am really liking the slight warmth of that Class A sound. Quite a bit closer to the sound signature I love from my Line Magnetic amp.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. stax o' wax

stax o' wax Forum Resident

The Class A Luxman integrateds are absolutely great amplifiers.
    I have a 505f (not Class A) and it's a terrific amp, I will probably never sell it.
    But that 509 is on my wish list.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
    freesole likes this.
  4. crazy eights

crazy eights Truckstop Lovechild

i have lust in my heart just looking at it, i'm afraid to hear it ;)

5. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Yellow lights > blue lights.

lonelysea and Kristofferabild like this.
  6. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all..... Thread Starter

Beauty and brains!

freesole likes this.
  7. noladaoh

noladaoh Retired

Luxman will be my retirement gift to myself in two years. I absolutely love the look. The Class A integrated and CD Player. Just need to find the right speakers to match. No floorstanders. I’ll spend the next two years researching.

8. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

I agree, the've been around since 1925, they were of coarse sold to Alpine in 1984 and then to IAG in 2009.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
    btf1980 likes this.
  9. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

I had a late 70's Luxman integrated amp and tuner. A beautiful system. L-100 and T-110. I would love to have the modern version one day.

10. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

That's a sexy integrated amp.

11. freesole

freesole Forum Resident

Some initial thoughts after having both the 509X and the 590AXII in my system...

The 509X provides a little more flexibility due to its higher power output. It is an amp that will handle pretty much any speaker you want to throw at it. If you have power hungry speakers or think you may want to switch up in the future, the 509X gives you that future proofing and peace of mind. It also runs very cool.

The 590AXII has that class A magic that is so hard to describe at times but can push beyond the 30W Class A into Class AB and drive most speakers well. They certainly drive my 90db @ 8ohms Spendor D9's without any issue. It runs a bit hotter but in no way is it scorching. Compared to my Line Magnetic, the heat produced by the LM is really not close.

Overall, the sound is just a little different but as you know, being audiophiles, we nitpick over small differences all the time so it's a big enough difference to me to prefer the 590AXII.

Do I trade in my LM 805 for this? I'm still thinking about it but it sure is tempting! I do like that I don't have to worry about tube life and the heat hazard that the LM has but its sound quality really is beautiful. It's a tough call.

Rolltide, Mintsauce and ThorensSme like this.
  12. plimpington2

plimpington2 Forum Resident

I’d like to see where you end up. I have mid-sized Tannoys which I am liking a lot. Love my leben too, but I think I need a bit more juice. That Luxman looks the business!!

13. Nascimento Brasil

Nascimento Brasil Forum Resident

A curiosity, did anyone ever use the preamp of the 509X or the 590AXII connected to tube power amplifier?

14. Kristofferabild

Kristofferabild Forum Resident

What a beaut!

15. McLover

McLover Senior Member

I am to the point where I call IAG a stable company, who will be around for years. And they've gotten Luxman back to their roots. Which I like.

Nascimento Brasil likes this.
  16. bluenosens

bluenosens Forum Resident

My second-hand Luxman L503S [from about 1998-20001 vintage], has no meters but is champagne gold. It is 65 watts class ab and replaced a Simaudio 4070SE and Krell Pam3. And yes it just has a better presentation of music [to my ears] and several friends who have heard it. This was produced after Alpine departed. I suppose the current L 505 series would be its replacement now.

17. Slimwhit33

Slimwhit33 Forum Resident

I have the Luxman L550ax-ii and LOVE it! 20 Watts all Class A power.. deep pronounced bass... amazing soundstage.. nothing not to love!

progrocker, Daedalus and Rolltide like this.
  18. pmh200111

pmh200111 Well-Known Member

So how did the Luxman and Harbeth work out?

19. Boyder

Boyder Well-Known Member

Hi guys, new to this thread. I’m about to pull the trigger on the 509X or the 590Axii.
    For now I won’t mention what my present equipment is until it’s sold. Don’t want that to be part of the discussion.
    My speakers are BMW 803D2 What are your thoughts on the 590 with these big towers, they are rated 8ohm 90 db, which I have always questioned. Because the opinion out there is they love power, Which my present amp has.
    I’m wondering what they would sound like with a 30 watt Class A your thoughts please... My room is 14 x 17 and I like my music at lower volumes, most of the time. Hi volumes last about 45sec
    Thx

Mintsauce likes this.
  20. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I was going back and forth on this before finding a good local deal on a 509X that sort of ended the debate. I never got to compare them side by side. But I did find this European audio reviewer with a site more or less dedicated to reviews of high end integrated amps - all of the Luxman, Accuphase, etc. models. His take on the different Luxman amps were that the Class A models sounded better then the comparable solid state models with the blue meters, but what was really going on is that they sound better as one goes up the price point. He felt the 509x was ultimately better across the board then the 590axii for this reason. I wish I could find that site again, as even via translation it was about the best subjective audio reviews I've ever read.

Boyder likes this.
  21. RWBadley

RWBadley Not an Animal

I suspect with those speakers you would be happier driving them with the 509. The 590 while having enough power for lower volumes could run out of gas anytime you wanted to push the volume level. If you live in an apartment with shared walls I would say the 590 could be a good choice.

If you’re looking to save some money another option is the Yamaha as-2100. I really enjoyed mine, tho the 590AXII did better it slightly driving high efficiency speakers. If I had the B&W I probably would have stayed with the Yammie.

22. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

I have a Luxman L-505ux paired with JBL Classic L100’s in my office. It powers the JBL’s nicely, the MC phonostage is particularly good. I’m running a Hana SL into it snd it’s exceptionally quiet. Love to try a 509 eventually in that system.

23. Boyder

Boyder Well-Known Member

Thx, I am pretty sure I’ve read that review.
    For the last two months that’s all I’ve done is read reviews and I auditioned the L - 550 they don’t have the L- 590 in store, so I think the next time in I will compare the 509 & 550 on someMagico & Harbeth speakers. That should give be something to chew on.

24. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

I didn’t know the Bavarian Motor Works made home speakers. ;)

25. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

I owned Luxman in the 80’s.
    I had a Luxman LV 105 hybrid amp...tubes and solid state.
    It was a great amp.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.