Slade & Glam Rock...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by siebrand, Feb 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. siebrand

siebrand music lover Thread Starter

Slade, and the Glam Rock moviment of the seventies ...
    The Slade were one of the main groups of the "Glam Rock", an English musical movement that used to show off on stage using very showy clothes, very special, often bulky and shiny gold and / or silver.
    (Glam stands for "Glamor" .... which, among the various meanings, also includes "fantasy, fairy-tale, mystic" ...)

Often these groups used shoes and boots with rather high heels ...

The Slade were very famous in England, but also in other European countries (Austria, Germany, Sweden, Holland, Switzerland and ...).
    In Italy they have not picked up fame and success, but ... if you go to see their concert tickets ... they often find "sold out" (but anyway ... go to BrexitLand to see them live, today, it seems to me a little too much... :) )

It is still the group that sold (after the Beatles, of course) more "singles / 45 laps" in the history of modern music.

Their Rock was defined, then, "Hard Rock", even if now we can perhaps smile at that statement. :)

The Glam Rock had many admirers, many were the groups to have, at least sometimes, joined the movement.
    Any name?
    Well, about everyone ...
    David Bowie ... who does not remember his funny clothes, showy, but ... always, besides showy, even elegant?
    The Stooges, Roxy Music, The Sweet, T-Rex, Mud, Mott The Hoople (their "All the young Dudes", written especially for the "Mott" by Davi Bowie, is beautiful),

For me, Slade's favorite album is "Old, New, Borrowed and Blue", which (strange !!) everything may seem but certainly not a Slade disk ...
    yet .... that "HonkeyTonk" music, light, pop (here we find, on 12 tracks, only 3 songs catalogable as "hard Rock"). it was really nice.
    listen to "Find yourself a Rainbow" (two minutes of joyful irony, with that piano played like that ... so ... boh? with a light touch, I would say .......),
    while "How can it Be" is one of those songs that, once you listen to the radio, makes us want to sing it ...
    Of this album they also extracted "My friend Stan ... a beautiful radio hit and" Everyday ".... a light and easy ballad, almost" mawkish "...

curiosity: their single "Merry Xmass everybody" is still the best-selling Christmas single ....

very good, however, also the 33 laps "Slade in Flame", which also served to produce a film (a film on the best rock groups ever released, among other things ...). How to forget "Slayed" (my mother ... I was 14 ...) also their "Slade Alive", with a wonderful "Darling come home soon" by John Sebastian ,,, There are countless versions of this song, also excellent by Joe Cocker, but for me the best is this:

Would you like to talk about GLAM ROCK ?

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    oboogie, Weirwolfe, tages and 3 others like this.
  2. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

This is a genre that never did much for me, personally. Of course, I know and like the classics - T.Rex, Mott the Hoople, Bowie to a certain degree (Ziggy is one of his weaker albums for me) - but being born almost 30 years after Glam happened, the whole attitude and the style are very weird. And the music doesn't quite hold up to its contemporaries, at least not to my ears.

But, to end on a positive note, I like Slade a lot (still have some tapes from my dad) as well as Hello (the ones with New York Groove... are they considered Glam?) and Alice Cooper. So those are the Glam artists I very much enjoy listening to :)

Yam Graham, unclefred and siebrand like this.
  3. siebrand

I believe this genre is typically loved by people of my age.
    I understand it is not very popular among young people ....
    Is Alice Cooper Glam? Well, I do not know, I do not think so. But ... as a young boy ... how many times have I listened to "school's out" and "(I wanna be) ELECTED" :mudscrying:

Rufus rag, mestreech and LeBon Bush like this.
  4. Galactus2

Galactus2 Forum Resident

Here in the US, one of the few Slade songs that I recall getting airplay was ‘Goodbye to Jane.’ It was ok, but it sounded much like T. Rex, Bowie, Mott, etc. So it was a bit hard for Slade to distinguish themselves from their peers (at least on US rock radio).

LeBon Bush and LilacTeardrop like this.
  5. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

Big fan here. Actually, their Hard Rock have nothing to do with Glam Rock genre of the 70s' David Bowie, post-1972 Elton John and Roxy Music, while due to Slade's funny costumes, they were tagged as "Glitter Rock" back in the day, together with Gary Glitter, The Sweet and Mud.
    Besides of their amazing songs, they were also great live attraction. I saw Slade live in 1979 and it was one of the best concerts I attempt in my life.

My all time favourite song by Slade is power ballad How Does It Feel released in 1975 on 7" vinyl by Polydor Records.

My favourite album by Slade:
    [​IMG]

oboogie, MonoStereo, Randoms and 2 others like this.
  6. GubGub

GubGub Forum Resident

I think Glam was very much a visual style, a fashion that pervaded from about 1971 - 1974, more than a specific musical genre. There were artists who were exclusively Glam like The Sweet or The Glitter Band but there were also many that embraced the visual style while it was fashionable but moved on like Bowie, Elton, Mott the Hoople, even Marc Bolan and Abba in their early days. Mud and Suzi Quatro were of that era but not really visually Glam. Slade at their best transcended Glam and were really a proto NWOBHM band who sustained a career long after Glam had faded. There was nothing Glam about them by the time their 80s hits rolled around and they were already trying to shake it off as early as In Flame (my favourite Slade album along with Til Deaf Do Us Part).

7. RudolphS

RudolphS Forum Resident

Well I think Alice Cooper certainly is glam (other notable US glam acts were New York Dolls and Jobriath).

[​IMG]

As for Slade, great band between 1971-74, I grew up with them as a kid. Despite people claiming that period was all about Pink Floyd's DSOTM and Led Zeppelin, what I remember from memory is that, at least in Europe, Slade were the most visible act, dominating the airwaves and music programs on television. In 1973 alone they had like four #1 chart toppers in most countries on the continent.

Weirwolfe, Rufus rag, Randoms and 2 others like this.
  8. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

Oh yeah, one of their best songs for sure.

9. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

Sweet exclusively Glam, eh what !!! Have you never heard their B sides, they're really HEAVY, so unlike the pop twaddle of their A sides..

squidsdad, Weirwolfe and Cameron.39 like this.
  10. GubGub

GubGub Forum Resident

I'm certainly not dissing Sweet. I like them and some of their A sides are far from pop twaddle once they got past the silly Little Willy and Wig Wam Bam phase. Hellraiser and Love Is Like Oxygen remain two of my favourite singles of all time but they never really escaped their image, at least not in the perception of the wider public.

11. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

Another Slade's power ballad that is fantastic. Everyday was released in 1974 on 7" single in the UK, Ireland, across Europe, Australia, New Zealand, Japan and South Africa.

12. siebrand

I loved that song
    was it the age I hade in the seventies?
    sure.
    But i liked them... I liked Sweet.
    I preferred Slade, oh yeah, but Liked Sweet too!

13. arthurprecarious

arthurprecarious Forum Resident

I saw Slade at the height of their popularity round 73/"74. I thought the building was gonna collapse with too much stomping! I think you had to be there at the time for Slade. Good band and Noddy one of the best ever singer/shouters

rebetis, Hammerpeg, Bemagnus and 7 others like this.
  14. TheLoveDrags

TheLoveDrags Forum Resident

I was born in 75 and love most 70's glam!
    Most of the stuff I like is mainly from the 50's, 60's and 70's with a few things here and there from the time I actually grew up in....

Man at C&A likes this.
  15. siebrand

yeah... Noddy Holder was really great.

16. RudolphS

RudolphS Forum Resident

Noddy Holder is a great vocalist. After AC/DC's Bon Scott's untimely death there were many rumours that Noddy would be his replacement. After Holder declined, they eventually settled on ex-Geordie singer Brian Jonhson, who basically was a Noddy clone.

17. Etienne Hanratty

Etienne Hanratty Forum Resident

I was born in ‘77 but always had a penchant for all things early seventies. I remember being repeatedly disappointed when I went to 70s nights at university that they only played disco with a smattering of Abba.

18. siebrand

Really?
    I didn't know that?
    But it's not so strange. I think he should be great with AC/DC (don't like that band, to heavy for me, but that's only my word....)

19. stetsonic

stetsonic Forum Resident

Which reminds me, there's this great band from Italy that's very much influenced by Slade and glam rock, called Giuda. I've been a fan ever since I heard this:

20. RudolphS

RudolphS Forum Resident

He should've been terrific with AC/DC, but Noddy turned the offer down due to his loyalty to Slade (keep in mind that at the time AC/DC was still an upcoming band, and it was not guaranteed at all their popularity would not take a nosedive after Bon's demise).

21. siebrand

I'm glad he did....

22. JumpinJimF

JumpinJimF Still perfecting ways of making sealing wax

I lived through it but wasn't really analysing it at the time. In retrospect my reductionist classification of glam (the UK version) goes something like:

1. Innovators and leaders of glam: e.g. Bowie, Bolan, Roxy Music
    2. Good rock bands who adopted or were persuaded into the bacofoil suits and glitter: e.g. Mott, Slade, Sweet
    3. The followers: Mud, Glitter etc.

2 and 3 got a bit lumped together at the time but hindsight has been kinder to the Motts and Slades of this world.

23. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

Way back in the actual 'glam rock' golden era (1971-74), I don't recall hearing many Americans
    actually calling it 'glam'. In my neck of the woods it was called "glitter rock" by its fans, and
    disparaged as "*** rock" by the metal-heads and rednecks. I used to like to call it "tall-shoes music".

Svetonio likes this.
  24. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

I like a lot of music that’s from this era and lumped in this genre. I think I’m more of a fan of The Sweet than I am of Slade, but have plenty of both in my collection. Anyway, Bowie, Roxy, T. Rex, Alice and Mott are amongst my favorite artists. Other artists jumped on the band wagon, or had their glam moments....Elton, Rod, and The Stones.
    It’s Only Rock n Roll...But I Like It.

25. chodad

chodad Hodad

Great Glam box set (various artists) recently released by Cherry Red Records. Highly recommended.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.