Does anyone use any kind of Graphic Equaliser or Room correction Equipment ?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Soundlabs, Feb 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

The Schiit Loki works great for me, small, simple and inexpensive. Although I never bypass it, that’s just the flick of a lever for those who wish to.

The Loki came out at just the right time. It enabled me to purchase a preamp I love, a 1990’s Acura’s R11 that does not have tone controls. The combination of the R11 and my Lector VM200 hybrid power amp sounds terrific, I’m really glad I was freed up from having to limit myself on a choice of line stage by the Loki’s release.

If I had a dedicated listening room I could see getting into the various acoustic treatments discussed here. However for simply helping the music sound best to my ears in my real world living and listening space, simple tone controls work best for me. I use the parametric EQ in Jriver or Audirvana when listening via my computer at work. But at home I know it would make me a bit loony to have to deal with that kind of EQ hardware, a few knobs are all I need.

Fishoutofwater and Vignus like this.
  2. Bolster

Bolster If it ain't broke try harder..

My new 'toy' (literally) arrived today, which I've hooked up between my TT phono preamp and the line in on my amp.

This cheap and pretty nasty looking piece of kit (all housed in very brittle plastic) has had a lot of positive reviews so I'm looking forward to seeing if it lives up to the hype.

I've posted a few pics for the groups amusement.

Quick edit: the unit is very quiet and does not seem to introduce any noise into my system.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
    On_the_dunes and Fishoutofwater like this.
  3. jbmcb

jbmcb Forum Resident

I've experimented with foobar2000 + MathEQ RoomEQ, driven by correction curves using RoomEQ Wizard driven by an old Radio Shack SPL meter as a reference mic. I haven't quite liked the results, but I haven't tweaked it that much. I'm going to try again with the SPL meter at ear level, on a tripod in my listening chair to see if I can dial in the room a bit better. If I can get it working properly, I'll probably go for a more permanent MiniDSP solution.

4. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Not exactly using a Graphic equalizer, but I use tone controls to modify the sound. Being all tube equipment with very expensive tubes I am opposed to anything solid-state in the audio path. I can imagine an equalizer is full of op-amps.

Bolster likes this.
  5. Bolster

Bolster If it ain't broke try harder..

My budget systems 'audio path' is about to be tested with a very budget GE (Behringer FBQ800).

First impressions are very good as its not adding any noise to the signal path in fact the output from my phono preamp sounds a little cleaner.

On_the_dunes and Burning Tires like this.
  6. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

I use a Loki as well! Majority of the time its bypassed but occasionally will get a hot recording and knock just a touch off at 8k and 2 kHz. One of the best purchases ive made in a long time..

7. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Senior Member

Lots of EQ tools on JRiver plus DiracLive.

8. Mike-48

Mike-48 A shadow of my former self

Yes, I use ARC, in the Anthem STR Preamp in my main system. The Auralic Aries G1 streamer I use also offers DSP, but I've used it only rarely.

In my desktop system, I use the PEQ built into the Classe CP-800 preamp.

In our minimal TV system, I use Dirac in the miniDSP SHD preamp.

In all cases, most of the DSP is in the bass (below 500 Hz).

Fishoutofwater likes this.
  9. The Sentinel

The Sentinel Member

Well, THAT is a great low cost solution. Many people may laugh but I do more or less the same and it works great.
    I recorded a CDR with a good quality Pink Noise signal and using a Yamaha EQ-550 and REW with a good mic at the listening spot I got the a much better and almost flat response. The Yamaha EQ sounds great, very transparent, no noise added.
    Well thought.

Rick Bartlett likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.