Good Deals on amazon.com (part3)

Discussion in 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' started by lv70smusic, Mar 14, 2014.

1. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Surprised to hear that the Kinks box went below $77 before returning to just over $77. Usually the price snaps back when these slow downward trends come to an end.

It's a shame that it's vinyl -- no use to me!

Spitfire likes this.
  2. J Luc

J Luc Forum Resident

I haven't been watching this that intently so I never saw it go down below $77. Still seems to be going down at $77.39. I cancelled my initial order at $91.62 an got back in at $81 and change. So, I'm content (at least for now ;)).....

3. ermylaw

ermylaw Forum Resident

It’s got a bunch of CDs, and they sound really good.

4. Hershiser

Hershiser Forum Resident

I have the earmark 3 lp deluxe vinyl of village green and the vinyl from the Mono box so I have been trying to resist. But if I thought I could sell the earmark set I would probably bite.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  5. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Egads! You're right!! :thumbsup:

Price heading back down: $77.17.

superstar19, hutlock and bru87tr like this.
  6. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Re: Rashaan Lp, it's not really a nonfill issue as I think side one's stamper got damaged. But I agree the sound is fantastic, but it's not perfect. Shame. Bought it frim VMP at full price.

latheofheaven likes this.
  7. latheofheaven

latheofheaven My Pants are FULLY Analog...

Hmmm, I don't recognize 'Rashaan', but that could be another name for it :) I know it as the group Tinariwen. No, the sound and vinyl were frigg'n AWESOME, it was just that the 1st one they sent me was warped. The 3rd replacement is just fine. One of the best masterings that I've heard! :righton:

8. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

I think he’s talking about the Max Roach featuring Rahsaan LP mentioned up thread.

9. latheofheaven

Ah, thanks!

10. Marvin

Marvin Senior Member

Kinks set is over $80 now.... get those orders in!

hutlock and Jimijam like this.
  11. Jimijam

Jimijam Forum Resident

Right.. Looks like it broke that 77 mark secured a copy at 78, now got the fingers crossed it shows up complete on wed.

12. hutlock

Man, Amazon must have WAAAAY overordered on the Kinks set. I can’t believe it has stayed this low for this long.

13. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

I saw it hit $76.99 earlier.

14. Hasaan**

And it is definitely nonfill. It was very visible and caused a ton of noise through out side one and there was some on side two as well.

hutlock likes this.
  15. Matt I

Matt I Forum Resident

It sounds like a hodgepodge of three different albums. You all had me worried so I gave my "The Max Roach Trio Featuring The Legendary HASAAN" album another very close listen and it is flat, wonderful looking and sounding album. It would probably help if those with warped, scratched, non-filled records would name the album that they are talking about.

hutlock, aoxomoxoa and black sheriff like this.
  16. hutlock

Ha. Yes Hasaan not Rahsaan.

17. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

My experience with the Hasaan/Max Roach Trio LP:

Boy, what beautiful packaging! I've never seen a Vinyl Me, Please album before. Do they all look this snappy and shiny?

After listening to it twice, I don't have the non-fill noise problems others have had with this LP. Yes, even after a deep cleaning, there are three noise issues on my copy, two on Side A and another on the B side. None of them are non-fill. On the first side, there are two scratches/scuffs that cause low level ticks once a revolution and don't last long. The noise on the B side isn't tied down to one section of the phonograph record but exists for a maybe 20 seconds, off and on, as the needle travels through the groove. It, too, is not obtrusive. All three of these noise occurrences are more war wounds than problems. I'll cut a lot of slack for an album as terrific, rare, and cheap as this one.

And what a strange and wonderful duck The Max Roach Trio Featuring the Legendary Hasaan is. Saying that I've never heard a piano player like Hasaan Ibn Ali is an understatement. To be as original in time signatures, intervals and chords as he is and to be, at the same moment, so overwhelmingly musical is almost incomprehensible to me. Yet I've heard it over an entire album side (all of Hasaan's compositions and playing are on Side A). In some respects it's a duo album, with Max Roach both egging Hasaan along and following his lead. The bass player, while quite satisfactory, generally stays out of the way of these two dynamic players. The sound, while decent, is not reference quality. The piano in particular sounds a bit canned. It doesn't inhabit the soundstage in the same way the drums and bass do. But that is secondary. This LP is all about the notes and those notes are completely unique. This album should be off-putting but is the exact opposite. Its strange rhythms and chords draw you into the music. It remains a very tuneful album, although one you'll never hum along to. If you like hard bop, it's an album well worth owning.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
    Kyhl, SBegonias17, riverrat and 3 others like this.
  18. Bloom

Bloom You're embarrassing me in front of the wizards

Yep. They do great work.

19. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

He was a genius, and all the Philly jazz greats studied in his living room, including Coltrane. It's a damn shame he wasn't recorded more; kudos to Max Roach for making this album happen so we can appreciate him and wonder what could have been if only circumstances had been different. He was known as an eccentric, which for the era, I take to indicate mental illness.

Jimijam, ggergm and hutlock like this.
  20. Batman21

Batman21 If you don’t run you rust

floyd, Juggsnelson and latheofheaven like this.
  21. latheofheaven

Heh, that was worse than mine. At least by the 3rd time they got it right.

But... look at it this way... you DO have 2 Backstreet Boys albums! :righton:

22. BrewCrew82

BrewCrew82 The Most Notable Member

My Roach Hassan album is great. It was shipped naked in a larger box which was annoying as most of my Amazon albums come properly packed, but appears to have only suffered a minor seam split on the inner sleeve.

The vinyl itself is flat, clean and beautiful. Very happy.

23. BrewCrew82

BrewCrew82 The Most Notable Member

People keep saying they end up with the albums they have issues with. How does that happen? I ordered and sent back 3 warped copies of a Pearl Jam record. Had to send them all back to get the refund.

If I could have kept them they may have been redeemable with a vinyl flat.

24. latheofheaven

Actually, I think the fellow above did have to send back his Back Street Boys album (with regret and tears I'm sure...) and they just sent him another one. He will likely have to send that one back to get the one he originally ordered I would think. Sometimes, on occasion, Amazon will do things a little differently, but usually we do have to send back the wrong / damaged stuff to get a replacement or refund...

BrewCrew82 likes this.
  25. latheofheaven

... just like I like my women...

Flat, Clean, & Beautiful! [​IMG]

(I'm sorry... I just can't help it... [​IMG] )