Schiit Audio (Mike Moffat) designs turntable

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Thouston, Jul 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Davey

Davey NP: Portishead ~ Portishead (1997)

Sorry, never thought of that but I can see it now, maybe should've said screen capture instead of just capture, though some people just can't resist clicking on buttons, some day that's gonna get you in trouble :)

bever70, BayouTiger and JackG like this.
  2. JackG

JackG Forum Resident

It's a Pavlovian response.

David M. and Davey like this.
  3. inperson

inperson Senior Member

Reminds me of the Opera Consonance Wax Engine.

[​IMG]

Davey, bever70, 33na3rd and 2 others like this.
  4. inperson

inperson Senior Member

It's so ridiculous that he uses this record :laugh:

5. David M.

David M. Well-Known Member

I want one. Period. They’re building 1,000 to start and are scared Schiitless of excessive demand. I don’t want to be #1001...

6. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

Don't hit me, but I think vinyl sucks. I didn't like vinyl even before the CD era--I recorded all my LPs to cassettes on my AIWA and later Nakamichi deck and listened to those. I may be weird, whatever.

BUT, I've wanted to buy one of these Schiit-y turntables since it was first announced. I love that Mike Moffat is a CD guy like me, yet chose to design this turntable. Plus I have a Jotunheim with DAC module and I love the thing.

7. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock

[​IMG]

Helom, bever70, SirMarc and 2 others like this.
  8. james

james Summon The Queen

??? would you want someone who hates food to cook you a meal? Or Ralph Nader to build you a muscle car?

I’d like to know more about the tone arm. Looks light? I imagine something like a Denon 103 need not apply?

bever70 likes this.
  9. rischa

rischa Forum Resident

That's a lot of newer tonearms, though.

10. james

james Summon The Queen

True, but a lot of Denons on 12” arms...and the ability to easily swap arms makes me wonder if there’s a good way to run medium to low compliance carts like Denon and EMT

11. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

I really like the look and feature set of the Sol, but the location of the power switch makes me nervous.

12. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

[​IMG]

bever70 and Cyclone Ranger like this.
  13. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Darko is one of the better reviewers imho.

SirMarc likes this.
  14. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Sounds like you have not heard a good table.

mike. and Cyclone Ranger like this.
  15. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

I would not count these guys out. I am really impressed with Schiit Audio. I have a Vidar and Saga in for review and they are very, very good for their affordable price. I know from talking from Jason, how much time they have invested in this project. I may get one for the office.

16. wavethatflag

Thanks for not posting another .gif with somebody smashing someone else. Back in the early 80s, I had an Aiwa midi system with a linear tracking turntable. That's the only turntable I ever had. LPs certainly sounded better than the cassettes I made off of them, but I always found LPs to be a pain in the ass. I had the antistatic turntable mat, all the dishwasher crap (fluid and brush). I just never liked all the care that goes into handling vinyl. Unfortunately I had my Who Phases set stored flat for years and I warped the crap out of those records. Back in the day I had special slotted LP holders that kept them exactly vertical, but at some point I forgot to do that.

But decades later, I could give it another go. I know I won't buy one of the first 1000 of this turntable, but again I really like Schiit and this product has had my interest since it was first announced and I watched Moffat talking about it. I'm sure I can find some vinyl-only releases that would justify this for me.

Stone Turntable likes this.
  17. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

I for one was just joking with that Hulk/Loki gif. Hope you weren’t genuinely annoyed, but I apologize if you were.

18. wavethatflag

Oh even if it bothered me a little, I was absolutely asking for it when I posted, "I hate vinyl" in this thread. :D

It's like when I went into the Colbert thread in the A/V forum and started bitching about how I used to like him but can't stand him anymore. I got some Gort action for those comments.

maglorine and Stone Turntable like this.
  19. Drew769

Drew769 Buyer of s*** I never knew I lacked

You gotta love how popular Schiit has become that they can basically build anything and people line up for it, sight unseen (ears unheard).

Moffat is a digital guy - I seriously can’t see why anyone would say to themselves, “Oh, a turntable from Schiit has to be good.” There are so many tables on the market already from companies that have been making them for decades.

No doubt they will sell these like ice cream on the Fourth of July. They’d better be careful of being a victim of their own success though. Being all things to all people seldom works. I bought one of their ADCs a while back and only kept it for ten days. It sounded like garbage - worse than the ADC chip in my ten year old MBP. But who knows?

20. Drew769

Drew769 Buyer of s*** I never knew I lacked

FWIW I can’t stand Colbert either.

maglorine and wavethatflag like this.
  21. Optimize

Optimize Forum Resident

I do not get something. :buttkick:
    Why is it a feature that is something to want?
    To be able to easily exchange the tone arm..
    :goodie:
    Is it that the company will sell different types of tone arms of different materials. To easily swap between? :love:
    Or is there other use cases?:sigh:
    To swap easy cartridges by swapping it WITH the tone arm?:shrug:

22. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

It's my understanding that Conrad Hoffman contributed to the design of Sol.

23. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

Yes, to swap cartridges on an arm that has already been adjusted to that particular cartridge.

Optimize likes this.
  24. Davey

Davey NP: Portishead ~ Portishead (1997)

33na3rd likes this.
  25. murrays

murrays Forum Resident

Mike Moffatt was first and foremost a fan of vinyl audio. He has documented that on other forums. His pursuit of quality audio from analogue and digital sources are not mutually exclusive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.