Best Sounding Hounds of Love CD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by auralden, Sep 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

I'm comparing the 1997 EMI remaster (Australia with bonus tracks) to the early US DIDX 1100 and later US EMI Manhattan.
    So far the 1997 sounds great... and the bonus tracks are wonderful.

auralden likes this.
  2. Mirror Image

Mirror Image 200 Years Of Anton Bruckner

I’d love to get a better opinion of the 1997 remaster. To those that own it, what do you think about it? Better/worse than the original master from the UK? I’m listening to it now and it sounds slightly louder than the EMI UK master I own (from the This Woman’s Work box set), but I’m not sure if it’s superior. I would probably say ’no’ as the original sounds warmer to me. I’m going to have to do a side-by-side comparison. I will say I’m liking the amount of detail in the 1997 remaster.

Edit: Okay, and this very well could be in my own mind, but Cloudbusting told the tale rather quickly. The 1997 remaster is a bit louder and has good clarity, but it’s lacking the warmth of the original UK mastering and it sounds a bit ‘cold’ for lack of a better adjective. It’s cool to have this remaster and I’m certainly not going to say it wasn’t worth the money (as I’m huge lover of this album and all things Kate Bush), but the engineer Chris Blair did a good job, but I’m quite anxious to hear how well James Guthrie does because as it stands right now, the 1997 remaster doesn’t displace the original UK master.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
    sound chaser and auralden like this.
  3. auralden

auralden Forum Resident Thread Starter

Looks like the upcoming remaster will use the single ver. of Big Sky - read here.

HiFi Guy 008 likes this.
  4. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

Trust your own ears. Only you can determine what you like.

PS. I have 2 early ones and the 1997 remaster which I keep for the bonus tracks. It’s not my favourite version at all. The early ones are the Japanese Black Triangle and the EMI Japan for EU disc. I haven’t decided yet which one to sell…

5. Mirror Image

Mirror Image 200 Years Of Anton Bruckner

I don’t really need the bonus tracks as I own the This Woman’s Work box set, but I did want to hear a remaster of the album. Looks like I’ll get my chance to hear another remaster after the release of that new box set in November. How does the Japanese Black Triangle issue sound?

6. Yost

The BT sounds very nice, balanced, refined with smooth bass. But I do think I slightly prefer the JPN4EU in this case. What bothers me though, are the 100% peaks in the JPN4EU. And based on the BT mastering, which has lower peaks, some tracks might have some limiting. I still need to ask a friend to help me with a blind comparison, otherwise I’m influenced by more factors than just the sound I hear.

7. ParanoidAndroid

ParanoidAndroid Forum Resident

Is the Japan for EU a different mastering to the standard EU mastering (i.e. what you find in the This Woman's Work box set)?

8. strippies

strippies Forum Resident

Japan for EU is the same as EMI Swindon or Uden

9. jeddy

jeddy Forum Resident

Is the JP4UK the same as the Supermasters Series
    from Japan? TOCP-6547 EJ-2403841
    1990 I think?

Cause it sounds lush and sweet

10. Yost

11. auralden

I just managed to get the Black Triangle version and I like it the best compared to the UK This Woman’s Work boxset and the Japan MLPS versions. It just sounds more solid in terms of imaging. The UK version has more air but sounds ‘light’. The MLPS sounds closer to the Black Triangle but is the least dimensional of the 3. Btw there is no pre-emphasis in the Black Triangle. So, up next will be the latest remaster out next month. Will just get it individually instead of the box. Note that Big Sky will be the single version.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
    Timos likes this.
  12. oldtinears

oldtinears Forum Resident

I have the original UK CD from Sept. '85, disc marked Made in Japan. Is this the same mastering as the "Black Triangle" version?

13. strippies

strippies Forum Resident

No, it has mastering 2. See post #9.

Yost likes this.
  14. auralden

Has anyone heard the new remaster of Hounds of Love? Am thinking of getting either the download (highest and only resolution is 24 bit 44.1 kHz) or the CD. Much appreciated if you can share your views on sound quality, esp. in comparison to what's available before.

15. MikeManaic61

MikeManaic61 Forum Resident

Check out this thread. Around page 90-100 they talk about it and give their opinions on it.

Kate Bush Remasters 2018.

auralden likes this.
  16. peter

peter Senior Member

The BT and the orig. JPN. for UK are both amazing sounding discs. I have not heard the others.

auralden likes this.
  17. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

By all accounts the remaster is the best it has ever sounded.

auralden likes this.
  18. JoshM

JoshM Forum Resident

Could someone point me to which CD contains the original album version of "The Big Sky"? Thanks!

19. Yost

All the original CDs from the 80’s and early 90’s.

20. JoshM

JoshM Forum Resident

21. Adular Zech

Adular Zech Forum Resident

FakePlasticDunk and JoshM like this.
  22. Uncle Miles

Uncle Miles Wafting in and out of Forum

That was pretty good. I admit I skipped a few of the prelim paragraphs to get down to the graphs quicker, but it's still a very good post.

Could I ask, have you done a similar review of The Dreaming? The remaster sounded good to my ears, but I noticed in the DR database it has a little bit less dynamic range than the old U.K. CD.

JoshM and bleachershane like this.
  23. JoshM

JoshM Forum Resident

Thank you. I haven’t done one for The Dreaming, which is one of my other Bush favorites. I’ve liked the remaster, too, but I haven’t done the type of critical, loudness-matched listening where I’d want to say definitively that it’s better than the original CD.

Uncle Miles likes this.
  24. kevnhuys

kevnhuys Forum Resident

For what it's worth....on TOP here is the title track from the 1997 remaster (which I bought in Japan, in its own little box) and below that, the same track from the 2018 HDTracks download. Nice to see some engineers stepping back from loudness wars...

[​IMG]

Mbe, Plan9 and Yost like this.
  25. Yost

I didn't remember I posted the above earlier, but I came back to the thread to remark that I like the JPN 4 EU slightly better than the JPN Black Triangle. Recently I did an elaborate comparison, and the JPN 4 EU sounds a little bit warmer, a little bit more detailed and less "processed". Findings are confirmed by my son, who was the blind listening test guinea pig.

I also need to mention that I have the second Black Triangle release from 1989, not the original one (from 1985). And, of course the Black Triangle's disc face still is the more beautiful one of the two. :love:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.