Bob Dylan – Bootleg Series Vol. 14: More Blood, More Tracks (2 Nov 2018)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dave Gilmour's Cat, Nov 2, 2016.

1. Ian Molloy

Ian Molloy Well-Known Member

Having read ALL 148 pages now (that took some time & commitment!), just one question.......

The RSD release, what will be on that that is not on the 6cd set? Just he spooky organ IW?

2. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

According to the hype sticker, the disc will contain the vintage mixes, which for the 5 replaced New York tracks (including "Idiot Wind") have never been officially released. The 5 other tracks running at their original, natural speed are also fairly hard to come by.

enro99 likes this.
  3. Ian Molloy

Thanks for that.

I have the Blood On The Tracks New York Sessions, so do I have this covered?

4. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

I assume that the legitimate release will be generationally closer to the source and fresh vinyl will provide a quieter background vs. what we've had access to. If neither of those things mean anything to you, you're covered.

5. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

Did you mean all 448 pages? Including the excursions in to alien territories, like the discussion about the NET, "Hejira", "Mr. Tambourine Man" and Lulu?

If so, I think you should receive some sort of special award. :)

Stone Turntable likes this.
  6. Ian Molloy

Sorry, yes, all 448!!
    Couple of hours a day sneakily during work, a few laugh out loud chuckles, some great links elsewhere, got some ready made playlists from you helpful guys, and pretty much feel happily satiated about my favourite album!
    Oh, and found the two books mentioned here about the making of BOTT online and ordered them, so they're sat at home as my birthday presents from my daughters on Saturday (at which point i will have "headed down to New Orleans" and be sat in an Irish bar at 9am watching the 6 Nations).
    I'd like to say "thank you" to everyone here for a thoroughly enjoyable ride:)

7. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

There are legitimate oversights and complaints, no question about it,

BUT

I LIKE the new mix in BS 14. It feels right and true to the music. It's not
    what I'm used to, but I can still listen to what I'm used to anytime I want.
    Both are available. I've been content with unofficial boots of the 1974
    test pressing for decades, and I can listen to that anytime I want. So I've
    got it all.

With More Blood More Tracks, the forthcoming RSD Test Pressing of
    Blood On the Tracks, the forthcoming One-Step Blood On the Tracks from
    MoFi, the newly released Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid from MoFi, and the
    soon-to-be-here RTR tour box, I feel like it's 1973 to 1975 all over again.
    Those were good years in my life when the music was new and exciting and
    Dylan was at the peak of his creative talent.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
  8. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

Dylan was incredible in the 70’s.

9. gearyoleary

gearyoleary Well-Known Member

10. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Click on the MP3 option in that link and it takes you to the standard Blood on the Tracks performances. Could be glitched, but more likely it's a placeholder for a forthcoming CD version of the RSD release, imo.

gearyoleary likes this.
  11. shadow blaster

shadow blaster Forum Resident

Nope, heard nothing other than a confirmed order with shipping date April 30-May 6. I will be surprised if it actually ships.

12. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

I'm inclined to agree with you, Richard. It is disappointing, for example, that the "spooky" organ overdub as featured on the test pressing is missing but if it were present we probably would not have got the previously unheard "tasteful" organ overdub, and that would be a tragedy in my opinion. We also get a different Buddy Cage overdub on the box but I don't recall any complaints about that decision, which struck me kinda funny....

It may also disappoint people that the Ramone mixes were not used but on the box we are witnessing the process of creation in the studio, not a final production. Big Blue, another "studio process" release, didn't use the officially-released mixes either, but rather gave us an "studio playback" mix. And quite rightly so. It was predictable, if not inevitable, that Steve Addabbo would take the same approach to BS14 that he did to BS12.

Adding the test pressing to the box would have been a good thing to do. Indeed, back in May last year before the set was even officially announced, I made it clear what I wanted from this box and a replica of the test pressing was on that list. (My post is on Page 54 of this thread....( Bob Dylan – Bootleg Series Vol. 14: More Blood, More Tracks (2 Nov 2018)* ) Alas there was plenty I didn't get, but I probably got more than I expected.

Making it part of a 2-disc release would also have worked and brought in revenue for the artist, but then some punters would have complained that they were being "forced" to buy a 2CD set just to get the test pressing. (I would not have complained.) I'll certainly make every effort to score an RSD test pressing replica and I'll also continue to wish for a stand alone CD version of it.

13. HominyRhodes

HominyRhodes Forum Resident

+1

14. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

Maybe the BotT Test Pressing CD will be available for free when you buy the $600 Rolling Thunder box set from bobdylan.com?

subtr, Mr. H and HominyRhodes like this.
  15. Richard--W

I may be proved wrong later on but I seriously doubt if the
    RSD exclusive will be commercially released later on.

16. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Honestly, if they included the test pressing mix on Official Bootleg 1-3, many would have complained that they already had that and would have preferred one of the other mixes/performances out there. You can't please everyone...

Actually, I can't tell if you're being serious in your post...

Exactly. Fans want unreleased/unheard stuff, but they also want the same stuff they have heard for years on bootlegs. Choose wisely.

I understand the significance of the legendary test pressing and those mixes, so I get it. At least you highlighted the fact that we got something different and interesting and good.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
  17. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

Usually when they are released later on, the RSD piece is advertised as a "RSD first release" pretty clearly. Or else has some unique, RSD only version feature, like a color.

18. Dr. Luther's Assistant

Dr. Luther's Assistant dancing about architecture

Absolutely.

Those "dry mixes" are appropriate to the context of the sets. I love them.

Percy Song and DeeThomaz like this.
  19. HominyRhodes

HominyRhodes Forum Resident

I agree they're devastatingly effective, but I do wish that they'd pushed the vocals back just a little bit, and brought the guitar up a notch or two in the mix.

20. Dr. Luther's Assistant

Dr. Luther's Assistant dancing about architecture

Agreed.

With the lack of reverb (or whatever treatment is generally applied) the vocals are pretty stark/prominent. They could have been dialed back a touch.

Percy Song, slane and HominyRhodes like this.
  21. Richard--W

I agree with this criticism. There is no excuse for it the over-loud vocals.
    Whoever is responsible should have caught it and corrected it. That
    having been said, the songs are so well performed musically and vocally
    it survives the imbalance.

DmitriKaramazov and Deek57 like this.
  22. matt79rome89

matt79rome89 Forum Resident

I still disagree with this view, which only seems to grow more and more out of proportion as time passes. To my ears there is no imbalance. I think people come to this conclusion mainly from hearing the new solo acoustic songs, which don’t feature bass or other accompaniment they are used to from the album and test pressing.

23. Richard--W

My views are proportionate, thank you.
    Compare the vocal and guitar levels to Dylan's other acoustic records.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
  24. matt79rome89

matt79rome89 Forum Resident

I have. To my ears the balance is fine. In fact, the guitar itself is higher in the mix than the official BOTT. Again, the album always has other things going on, mainly bass that fill out the sound.

Not going to debate opinions, just feel the grumblings here insinuate there is a glaring problem with the mix. I think that’s caused by MBMT starting with the acoustic solo songs with no bass.

superstar19 and MRamble like this.
  25. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

I’ve never understood that. Each to their own, but people often complain about bootlegs being ‘just about the packaging’ and say that the only thing that’s important is the music, but then they want something like The Supper Club released officially. I’ve had discussions with people where they’ve said that despite already having the music they want it ‘presented and packaged’ officially.

If it’s already out there in perfect quality (or even imperfect quality) then it’s way, way down on my list of priorities for official release.