SQ of Rolling Stones "Beggars Banquet" 50th Ann SACD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Audiophile65, Jan 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lechiffre

lechiffre Forum Resident

I speed corrected a rip of my London CD so now it's like listening to a warbly, hissy, narrowed, copy tape full of dropouts.

2. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

I compared these again yesterday because the SACD always struck me as a little thin and bright - Ludwig seems to push the top end up on all of his Stones remasters - and I hadn't heard the London CD in a very long time so I couldn't remember how it sounded.

There's absolutely no way anyone should recommend the London CD for the reasons stated above. It's clearly mastered from a crappy dub. Everything seems to drag because it's at the wrong speed. It's substantially narrowed much to its detriment - the original master is pretty amazing to hear in how spacious and wide it sounds. And just listen to Mick's vocal on the opening cut, "Sympathy for the Devil," it sounds so processed on the London CD from whatever compression or EQ was originally applied to that cutting dub. Even with the questionable EQ applied to the 2002 SACD, his vocal is so much more lifelike.

3. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

Indeed. The best thing to do in these situations is to find samples of the various masterings and compare for yourself. There are a lot of self-appointed "experts" on this forum with highly questionable opinions based around an odd belief system of “older, rarer and more expensive is always better” and various other snake oil.

4. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

ALERT: it is currently down to $14.93!

https://www.amazon.com/Beggars-Banquet-Anniversary-Rolling-Stones/dp/B07JYQNHV7/

RnRmf likes this.
  5. RnRmf

RnRmf Senior Member

6. easyge

easyge Senior Member

This SACD is clean and clear but is definitely compressed. Street Fighting Man and Stray Cat Blues made my head ache. Why more care was not put into the mastering. What a great album but this should sound better.

7. blind_melon1

blind_melon1 An erotic adventurer of the most deranged kind....

Does anyone know if the Abcko DSD vinyl (from around the same time 2002), is tamed in the highs compared to the 02 SACD?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.