Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Wugged

Wugged Forum Resident

Interestingly, you an American who prefers the Brits and I'm a Brit who prefers the American :D

cdgenarian likes this.
  2. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

[​IMG]

E Power Biggs – The Four Great Toccattas and Fugues: The Four Antiphonal Organs of the Cathedral of Freiburg Played Simultaneously (1974)

Recorded October 1 – 9, 1973

2003 Sony Classical SS 87983 single-layer 5.1 multi-channel SACD

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dan C, Mugrug12, hvbias and 4 others like this.
  3. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

My favorite American sopranos are Arleen Auger and Sylvia McNair ...

Can't say I have a favorite mezzo.

4. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Now playing the familiar (to me) Mozart "Posthorn" Serenade (No.9 in D Major), K.320 from this Columbia Masterworks record I bought in 1971.
    George Szell leading Members of the Cleveland Orchestra.

[​IMG]

Below I've photographed a portion of the inner sleeve where Columbia is advertising their "Beethoven Bicentennial Specials"... something that was all the rage among the Classical divisions of record companies back in 1970-71.

[​IMG]

5. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

I have the original LP release. Promoted as "A Quadraphonic Spectacular" back in the day, with each of the 4 antiphonal organs assigned to separate channels. The matrix encoding on the LP, however, hardly compares to your SACD with discrete channel separation... but it was novel at the time.

[​IMG]

6. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

On Spotify, "Heinrich von Meissen - Der Taugenhort" performed by Per-Sonat on Christophorus.

Mystical reflections in the Middle Ages

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

cdgenarian likes this.
  7. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

BIS' latest wunderkind. He plays well, but the repertoire is not engaging for me. Great sound. (One great aspect of Qobuz is that it's easy to delete an unappealing recording!)

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  8. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

cdgenarian and rxcory like this.
  9. bluemooze

10. bluemooze

On Spotify, "Baroque Consolation - Sacred Arias at the Imperial Viennese Court" performed by Oltremontano
    on Accent.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

rxcory and Wes H like this.
  11. coopmv

IIRC, Nonesuch LP's used to sell at $4.99 back in the day. So the pre-recorded cassette tape probably sold for $3.99 ...

bluemooze likes this.
  12. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Nonesuch records originally sold for $2.50 (list) when the company first launched in 1964. When I bought my first one in 1970 the retail price was up to $2.98, but that was still half of what a Columbia or RCA LP sold for at the time. I have some Nonesuch cassettes, but I don't recall what I paid for them.

vanhooserd and bluemooze like this.
  13. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

Spotify has this Debussy collection streaming. A download is tempting but the space required for optimal quality is prohibitive. So I enjoy it on my jaunts around town. Can't seem to find any online listing for the various tracks, though. Highly recommended, nonetheless.
    [​IMG]
    Why is classical album art is hideously banal? :laugh:

rxcory, cdgenarian and bluemooze like this.
  14. coopmv

bluemooze likes this.
  15. coopmv

I think by the mid to late 70's, the Nonesuch LP's were probably selling for $3.99 but cassette tapes for the same recordings generally were sold for less ...

16. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

BBC Music Magazine CD.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

hvbias, bluemooze and Wes H like this.
  17. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

You're probably right. I know they didn't stay $2.98 for long.

BTW, here is a Nonesuch "Demonstration" record that was produced in the mid-'60s as a sampler of their catalog. The back of the jacket shows several of their colorful albums that were in print at that time.

[​IMG]

In the upper left corner, you can see that this demo record retailed for "$1.00," yet my record shop gave it to me for free... and I suspect many were just handed out gratis to frequent customers. Along with the record (all baroque music), a small booklet inside listed upcoming releases and "The Nonesuch Story"...the latter mentioning the records listed for $2.50.
    I love their fanciful original art, which really stood out in the bins:

[​IMG]

Dan C, hvbias, vanhooserd and 3 others like this.
  18. coopmv

I would say I probably have about 30 Nonesuch LP's max ...

19. ubertrout

ubertrout Forum Resident

There's a peculiar Anglophilia - especially in New England - and a concomitant tendency to undervalue American musicians that used to be the default position of many, but has largely been abandoned. I understand the Brits sometimes had a somewhat similar attitude towards the continent, which has also largely dissipated.

20. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

Yes, I think their artwork was and still is unparalleled in the classical world. Too bad there hasn't been anything of the sort since. I do think classical can use a bit of humour, when tastefully done. And Nonesuch had plenty of both—humour, and good taste.

Dan C, Tom M, vanhooserd and 4 others like this.
  21. coopmv

Don't think Nonesuch has released any new classical recordings in a very long time. It seems WarnerMusic just let it sit there and rot ...

22. Eigenvector

Eigenvector Forum Resident

Well, today we get an endless parade of Classical album covers featuring shoeless female musicians in semi revealing clothing........ :rolleyes:

Wes H likes this.
  23. bluemooze

The poor guy second from left is about to get his eye poked out. :)

ibanez_ax, Wes H and Eigenvector like this.
  24. coopmv

Must be modern violins as baroque (or HIP) violins are supposed to work with shorter bows ...

bluemooze likes this.
  25. andolink

andolink Forum Resident

Carl Maria von Weber (1786-1826): Trio in G minor for flute, cello & piano, Op. 63, J259

[​IMG]

ClassicalCD and bluemooze like this.