2011 Aoxomoxoa Rhino...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by latheofheaven, Mar 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pablorkcz

pablorkcz ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

That's very funny :laugh:

Of course, we shouldn't laugh at any members' preferences ;)

latheofheaven likes this.
  2. Leigh

Leigh https://orf.media

That's right, it was 16 track... not 8 track... that led to all the craziness.

I did not know the original multis were still available in 2019. You are right, of course the murk isn't there because it's not in the more common version of the album. I am dumb yesterday.

I still think there is no good sounding versions of the original mix/masatering.

Yet another remix with the "sensibilities" of the original but using the 16 track multis would be cool.

pablorkcz and Laservampire like this.
  3. Former Lee Warmer

Former Lee Warmer Emotional Rescue

So, I have the Rhino LP boxed set. That has the original mix, right?

The only remix I have (I think) is the original WB CD and the remastered one with bonus tracks from the CD boxed set.

Between the remixes and re-remixes of Anthem, Aoxmoxoa, Live/Dead, and the corresponding boxed sets, I feel I have more recordings of the same 1968-69 Dead shows and albums than any other recording artist.

But that's just how I feel. I'm sure if I examined, I have a lot of the same Hendrix in alternate mixes and masterings. And I do have every single Black Crowes show from 1996-97 in both SBD and AUD - sometimes multiple sources of each, if available.

But still...

4. JohnQVD

JohnQVD bought too many records this week

Yes. That was, I believe, the first ever reissue of the original mix, as the tapes were apparently missing,

I’ll be interested to hear the 50th Anniverary CD and see what the condition of the tapes are.

5. Former Lee Warmer

Same here.

6. Former Lee Warmer

Gonna spin that OG mix tonight

Scope J likes this.
  7. latheofheaven

latheofheaven My Pants are FULLY Analog... Thread Starter

As I understand it, the Rhino Box has the exact same pressing of this album as this one we are discussing here. And, since you mention having so many versions of the same era... Personally, I MUCH prefer the live stuff from that time anyway. Those shows frigg'n ROCK man! I mean, sure, I would like to have a nice mastering of the original mix of Aomoxomoa, but the live stuff is WAY better!

[​IMG]

Hamhead and frightwigwam like this.
  8. latheofheaven

I'll be interested to hear the 50th anniversary VINYL to see the condtion of the master tapes... :D

9. JohnQVD

JohnQVD bought too many records this week

I would, too, if they release a proper one and not just a picture disc. Here’s hoping.

Clucking and latheofheaven like this.
  10. latheofheaven

Absolutely! In all honesty, the 50th picture disc pressing of Anthem sounded HORRENDOUS! I mean, BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD...! [​IMG]

gorangers likes this.
  11. Former Lee Warmer

This thing sounds horrid. If the 50th doesn't improve on the SQ, I may need to seek out the ProfStoned 'drop of the promo, or maybe even do my own...this will not do.

12. latheofheaven

Yeah, I was pretty disappointed after all with it. But, the PS needledrop is quite good for now. I'm glad another member turned me onto that earlier in the thread. I wouldn't mind vinyl at all that sounds like that. The ironic thing is that the price that it has gone for in the past isn't that terribly much, but there are none available for sale :)

13. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

Casual fan here....what is the story behind the initial scrapped 8-track sessions? How much was recorded? Has anything from there abandoned sessions been released? Maybe The Eleven is from this lot? Be gentle, like I said I'm a casual GD fan.

14. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

Not released officially.

Chris M likes this.
  15. hhjack

hhjack Forum Resident

I know this is a very old thread but I thought I would revisit it after finally obtaining the `71 remix version of Aoxomoxoa (The Grateful Dead - Aoxomoxoa ). I was so happy when I played "Rosemary," and it wasn't mixed into an indecipherable mess. Also, I prefer this version of "China Cat Sunflower" over the original. I will have to pull out the Rhino box set, which as we know is the `68 mix, to compare the rest of the album. But for now, I just happy to have this version. It even retains the green Warner Bros. center label, which soon changes over to the palm trees.

Last edited: May 30, 2020
  16. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

The Rhino CD features the 1971 mix of Aoxomoxoa. The 1969 mix wasn’t available digitally until the 2019 50th Anniversary 2CD set came out.

17. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

...so this one sounds horrible? (mine is still sealed)

[​IMG]

18. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

I haven't heard this one, I have the copy I grew up with. It's apparent that some people familiar with w7 releases found this new rendition of the original mix lacking. And some people, including many who grew up with the remix, just don't like the way the original sounds in any form. The only one who can decide it if sounds horrible to you is you. Go for it.

hhjack likes this.
  19. hhjack

hhjack Forum Resident

R. Totale is correct in this is a matter of opinion. I think the Rhino box set sounds nice. And I completely understand why they would want to retain the original mix of Aoxomoxoa for historical purposes. That being said, I'm not a fan of the original mix. I use "Rosemary" as an example. I was aware of this song first from Skeletons from the Closet, which uses the `71 remix. When I got the box set, I was shocked at the original mix of "Rosemary," where I couldn't even decipher any of the lyrics. When I complained about this on boards, I seemed to be in the minority. The reason I restarted this thread was to respond to latheofheaven who seemed to be the only one that understood my frustration. That being said, I guess it's nice to own both versions now. Just when I go to spin, more than likely, it will be the `71 mix.

latheofheaven and MikeM. like this.
  20. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

I meant the mastering, i far prefer the
    original mix, and am saddened by the
    fact that i listened to the remix for about
    30 years, it sands away all the wonderful
    trippy weirdness, imho.

The sticker says cut from the original
    analog masters, is the 2019 better?
    confused, i do love the PS needle-drop!

21. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

I shouldn't be saying this but "Stoned's version is better."
    I'm a bass player and I enjoy hearing loud bass especially the nice woody tones coming from a Guild Starfire II bass with Bi-sonic pickups (I own one and love it) but the bass on that album is muddy and loud, WTF did they do to it? Jack it up? Was that originally on the tape and turned down during the original mastering? only the person who mixed it or looked at the notes on the tape boxes only knows.

22. R. Totale

If you prefer the original mix and you want it on LP, you can either crack what you have open or try to sell it and find an original you like. The $20 or so you'll get selling the reissue will get you about halfway towards what you are going to have to come up with for a decent used original, although you might get lucky and find one cheaper. For me the original of any release is (almost) always preferred. I don't think anyone has ever claimed the reissue in this case beats a good original copy soundwise.

23. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

The 2019 is no improvement on the 2011?

24. R. Totale

Got me. I didn't even know there was one. But you have asked in the right place.

Scope J likes this.
  25. Danish Friend

Danish Friend Well-Known Member

I think the 2019 reissue is remix 71. What we need is a nice mastered reissue of the original mix.
    There's an italian De Agostini reissue from this year... Has anyone heard about that one and can comment on the SQ and which mix they released?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.