Bob Dylan angrily addressed his crowd the other night re: their phones being out/taking photos

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ElevateMeLater, Apr 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
    Whay and BluesOvertookMe like this.
  2. Trace

Trace Senior Member

That's good parenting. You taught him well and how to be respectful of others. Good job.

Most parents nowadays throw their kids in front of electronic devices so they don't have to deal with them. The electronic babysitter. Kinda sad...

Myke likes this.
  3. soniclovenoize

soniclovenoize Forum Resident

"Wow someone to the left of me has their phone out?? What a distraction!! Please enjoy the concert as per my own standards!!"

4. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

This

People should understand that paying money for attending to a concert don't give them the right to do whatever they want, just because "they paid for it"

5. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

Anybody that does that in an effin imbecile.

Spear and Magic Helmet and Myke like this.
  6. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Thank you, but I've noticed a lot of his peers (of course they were all good kids too as I've watched them grow up ) can remember life before the internet, and cellphones, etc. and like old farts like me, don't feel any need to be chained to technology, even though they use it. Wow, one of them's a lawyer now, another's a Marine, and they were all babies I kept an eye on, at one time, or another. :hugs:

7. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I'm too young to have attended the true "everybody stoned" days of the 70s, but I do know that standing is less of an issue at shows now than it's been since I began to actively hit concerts in the early 80s.

Back then, not only would stand, but on the floor, after a few rows people would stand on their chairs.

That meant everyone beyond them had to stand on chairs, and those were often rickety plastic jobs.

Been years since I saw crowds on chairs. I suspect that venues have put the kibosh on that practice due to potential lawsuits - one person falls and that dominoes a bunch of others.

So I think the "crowd standing" issue is better than it used to be! Crowds may stand but at least their feet are on the ground!

8. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

i dont understand the need to take photos, there are a billion available on the internet already.
    personally i cant stand it, trying to watch a performance with a bunch of people with their
    phones.

giumag and Drifter like this.
  9. Dirkwkirk

Dirkwkirk Forum Resident

Saw Dylan twice. Once with Santana. Such a contrast Carlos is so friendly acting & Bob is so different. But super talented.

10. Farmer Mike

Farmer Mike Forum Resident

I saw them last summer, it was pretty great. A video would be cool, but the cost of putting anything together and the fairly small market for it, make it a dicey investment.

11. Oatsdad

Younger artists essentially grew up with concerts where people had their phones out all the time.

And they also better understand how these photos/videos are free publicity!

JRColvin likes this.
  12. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident

I went to a King Crimson concert in NYC in 2017. Cell phone policy was strictly enforced, so folks spent hours in their seats enjoying high quality music without distraction/interruption. Pretty radical, right?

13. ThePaleRider

ThePaleRider Forum Resident

Cell phones are the Mark of the Beast anyway...if you don't have one you will survive the End of Days....

14. Cool hand luke

Cool hand luke There you go man, keep as cool as you can

Maybe the guy has just had it with how ridiculous it has gotten, this buisness of getting everything on video on these damn phones. Same thing at sporting events, family occasions, etc. We are getting so far away from enjoying things and taking them in naturally, in the moment. Everytime i watch any old live clip of anyone pre-2000(?) i am immediately struck by the absence of phones in the air. Bob has been facing audiences since what, 1961? Maybe he finally just snapped. Put the goddam phones down and listen and watch. Thats what a live music performance should be, not how awesome of a video you got, while annoying everyone around you, and annoying the performers.

15. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Seeing your avatar, I could not say in my head the word "Fool" as spoken by Ian McKellen. :D

The Trinity likes this.
  16. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

I think the bigger question is:

Why would you pay to go to a concert only to treat it as some kind of background setting for your social interactions, conversations or drinking, or to hear yourself whooping or screaming or singing along?

Why don’t you go to a concert to actually listen to the live music maybe?

17. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

That would require logic and the empathy and self-awareness to realize how one's actions can impact others in a bad way.

The ones defending cell phone use don't fall into that category.

MoonPool and RockRoom like this.
  18. Oatsdad

People who're at concerts just to party/hang out distract me way more than people with cell phones.

I've definitely been at more than a few shows where I didn't understand why the people paid so much money to act like they were in a bar!

MoonPool, HeavensAbove and Mbd77 like this.
  19. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident

So you still think that because of the price you are somehow entitled to take pictures...

20. captwillard

captwillard Forum Resident

I don't understand why anybody would want to record a concert on their phone, the nquality sucks. Photos, I don't mind but people should be smart enough to realize that using a phone flash at distance is useless and only annoys the folks onstage. If they aren't smart enough, they should get rid of their phone.

21. luckycountry

luckycountry Forum Resident

At one of the Beacon shows last fall wasn't there a fistfight between a guy taking photos and a security guard? I remember it all kicking off during Don't Think Twice...

Bob's so far back on stage and the light is so dark, how good can the photos possibly be? It's ridiculous! As a society we really need to progress beyond this idea that an experience is only valid if it's recorded.

22. RockRoom

RockRoom I Love My Dog

These things do not exist for many folks. I see it every day when driving the expressways.

23. PRW94

PRW94 Forum Resident

It's the logical extension of music being viewed as nothing but background noise.

24. buddachile

buddachile Forum Resident

I wish artists that walk off would stop being such sensitive idiots or just quit playing shows. If you don't like having your picture taken then stay home. Geesh.

Smack likes this.
  25. subtr

subtr Forum Resident

Growing up with something doesn't make it 'right', though. And I'm not sure Dylan needs the publicity.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.