Mahler symphonies on vinyl. Best to get?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Echidna Arf, Apr 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Echidna Arf

Echidna Arf Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Just getting started with classical and I saw this release, though doesn't look AAA, nor does it say the source: "Bernstein Conducts Mahler - The Vinyl Edition"
    Sony Classical

Was wondering for those of you with more experience, which collection would you recommend based on the best sound. I prefer a box set over individual ones, but if there are any individual releases you think are really worth getting, then chime in!

2. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

I'm not the Mahler expert, but I love my Solti (LSO/Concertgebouw/CSO) cycle on London (aka Decca), CSP-7 16 LPs.

I lucked into this when a friend of my brother asked me to evaluate a collection his friend inherited. I was allowed to pick something for my trouble and time and this is what I got. I think it's a great set. I also have the Speakers Corner remastered/reissued versions of Nos. 1-3. They sound great.

For something more modern I enjoy the digital (I have 24/192 FLAC) set by Ivan Fischer/Budapest Festival Orchestra on Channel Classics. Technically, it's not the complete cycle since they didn't do No. 8 (Symphony of a Thousand). When I asked about that some years ago Channel Classic told me they won't do it because of the extraordinary expense to mount such a production for it these days.

Otherwise, I have the complete set by Raphael Kubelik with the Bavarian Radio Symphony Orchestra on DG. To be honest I can't judge it against the above. While I've had it for a while I haven't listened to all of it, and what I have played has been a while. I remember No. 1 was pretty good though.

As a mostly native St. Louisan I also have the Slatkin/SLSO No. 1 on Telarc Digital. It's quite good but my copy is rather noisy (I bought it used).

If I did it all over, I might research it more and buy each Symphony individually for its merits, rather than picking a complete cycle in a box. I'm interested to see what people weight in with their favorites.

I think No.2 "Resurrection" continues to be my favorite. I have tickets for that at SLSO next month with Stéphane Denève conducting (he is our new music director starting next season).

WvL likes this.
  3. Echidna Arf

Hmmm. I don't know much about each symphony, which is why I thought a good introduction might be to get the whole thing. Are there any individual ones you have that you think are better than the ones in one of your boxes?

4. Josquin des Prez

I haven't explored it enough to say. I have complete sets.

5. Ted Dinard

Ted Dinard Forum Resident

Do you want vinyl only? It sounds like you're mostly concerned with sound quality?

I'd say the Solti/Chicago on London/Decca has great sound to my ears and you can get a complete set on CD:
    https://www.amazon.com/Mahler-Chica...Mahler+Chicago&qid=1555857030&s=dmusic&sr=1-4
    Haven't heard these on CD, I own the vinyl.

Michael Tilson Thomas has his complete cycle with San Francisco on SACD and for the most part, it sounds very good to me.

If you're concerned also with interpretations, my tops are Bernstein/NY/Columbia, Abbado/Berlin/DG, and Karajan/Berlin/DG. There are many more who are wonderful, and you'll get dozens of opinions.

6. Echidna Arf

Yeah. Interested both in best interpretations and vinyl SQ.

Thanks!

7. Ted Dinard

Ted Dinard Forum Resident

Duh! I forgot what the header said.

I'd say it's pretty rare to see the vinyl from the 1955-1985 period all collected in boxes, at least at the stores I go to. But it's fairly easy to snag copies of this or that symphony here and there. If you have the patience, just grab what you see, and see what you like. Each one takes a while to digest anyway.

It's easy to oversimplify, but one metric by which to divide Mahler interpreters is intensity/angst/madness on one end, and control/deliberation on the other.

I tend to gravitate to the former. Bernstein maybe sets the standard for mad drama, and on the other side, I dunno, maybe Haitink?

8. Josquin des Prez

Some may disagree, but I like to think of Solti as best of both worlds of interpretation, and with the added benefit of great sound. I love how the strings are recorded. So rich, lush and dynamic.

The first three reissued in the original Decca covers on Speakers Corner are sort of a no-brainer IMHO. I think they are OOP but still available.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.