Artists you love, but don't listen to much anymore

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rocknsoul74, Apr 26, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rocknsoul74

rocknsoul74 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Can you name any artists’ who’s complete catalog you own, pretty much memorized and at one time obsessed over, but it’s been a long time since you listened to them? I’m taking about artists/groups whom you really loved for a long time and are part of your musical DNA, but for some reason don’t really have any interest in listening to the old albums anymore. I guess in coming up with this list, I just realized that most are either dead or not currently and creatively putting out albums. Maybe that’s it… Massive respect for these artists, but I love discovering music I previously overlooked or new artists who are vital and creative today. Steaming music services have been wonderful in that aspect.

My list:

Michael Jackson
    Prince
    Stevie Wonder
    Billy Joel

2. MTCIII65

MTCIII65 Where The Loud Sound Abounds!

Zeppelin -

Collection intact - but have not reached for any of it for a couple of years now.

Of course I will turn it UP if I hear them on Sirius XM!

3. The Lone Cadaver

The Lone Cadaver Bass & Keys Cadaver

The Beatles, group and solo.
    Renaissance
    Pendragon
    Curved Air
    Fairport Convention
    Marillion

4. Weirdomusic

Weirdomusic Forum Resident

Frank Zappa. Discovered his music 35 years ago. Went through periods of listening to only his music for weeks.
    Over the past two years or so I just stopped caring. The family feuds and that silly hologram tour didn't really help.

5. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Probably Stevie Wonder, but that’s motivated me to take out Songs in the Key of Life!

So, thanks!

SG47, soarer29, rocknsoul74 and 2 others like this.
  6. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

Absolutely the Beatles.

I know their stuff inside and out. It's rare that I get a thrill from their music any more but there are some old stand-bys that can still move me, especially side 2 of Abbey Road. However I did get a real thrill from some of the isolated 5.1 tracks from the White Album 50th, especially the LFE channel which, with a couple of tweaks, revealed some real surprises.

No Bull, bherbert and djoseph56 like this.
  7. Victrollin'

Victrollin' Forum Resident

Johnny Cash. Love the guy, but I've listened to his best work so many times I've pretty much committed it to memory. But now I've got an itch to pull out "Unchained", what a fantastic record

8. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

Stevie Wonder (not played in ages)
    Led Zeppelin (seldom and selective)
    Beatles (infrequently)
    Stones (seldom and selective)
    Doors (infrequently)
    Crosby, Stills, Nash &/or Young (seldom)
    Moody Blues (not played in ages)
    Pink Floyd (infrequently)
    Fleetwood Mac ft. Buckingham-Nicks
    (infrequently)
    Bob Dylan (not played in ages)
    The Band (not played in ages)
    Robin Trower, solo (infrequently)
    Frank Zappa (infrequently)
    Cream (infrequently)
    Mountain (selective and infrequent)
    Eric Clapton (not played in ages)
    Santana (not played in ages)
    Beach Boys (not played in ages)
    Eagles (not played in ages)
    Humble Pie (selective and infrequent)
    Nazareth (selective and infrequent)

bluesky likes this.
  9. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

War
    Weather Report
    Chicago
    ZZtop

Alan2 likes this.
  10. couchguy

couchguy Forum Resident

Zeppelin , i get my fill on the radio

bluesky likes this.
  11. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

R.E.M.
    XTC
    The Beatles
    Peter Gabriel
    Talking Heads
    The Police
    Led Zeppelin
    U2 (80s/90s)
    Most of the Who catalogue

Some of my very favourite artists. Nothing to do with my feelings about their music changing... I’ve just heard the albums so many times, I can’t get anything more out of them. The forum has probably contributed to my fatigue with the Beatles but then I’ve also been listening to them the longest.

I notice one thing most of these artists have in common is that there won’t be anything new coming from them to reignite my interest. (It doesn’t tend to happen when the former members release solo albums.)

rocknsoul74 and bherbert like this.
  12. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

The Doors. Ruled my life at the end of 2013, dug them for a while after that... probably haven't played them in two or three years.

Nirvana - I think I knew going in that I was probably going to get bored with them, but it was fun while it lasted. Last time I played them was probably 2016.

The demented hero-worship of the Beatles really scared me away, and every time I see a new frivolous thread on here about them, that giant hourglass of my interest in listening to them flips over again.

The Who for a while. They were extremely important to me in 2014 (third favorite band), pretty good in 2015, almost couldn't stand them in 2016, no interest in 2017 - bar seeing them live, which was fantastic - and little interest until the end of 2018, when I started to get back into them. Now I'm basically in between 2014 and 2015.

Zeppelin seems to be a popular answer here. When I try to raise a critical eye to them, I actually don't think they have any bad songs and very few that fall below "very good"... but, at the same time, I don't often find myself in the mood to listen to them. Probably the same deal as the Who - they're just full-force, even on their softer songs. I just need some recuperation time.

Oh, one more I forgot: Springsteen. He was one of my gateway artists into music, and Darkness On The Edge Of Town is still my favorite non-living thing on earth. But bar Magic, I find all of his post-1995 albums to be quite tedious, and the charm of some of the "classic" stuff has worn off too. I feel like he unintentionally backed himself into a corner and he can't find a non-clichéd way to get out. It's very predictable and very overwrought, and neither of those words could be applied to the stuff I love. Props to him for still doing it, but... well, the magic's kinda gone.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
    DavidD, davers and bherbert like this.
  13. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

Tool. I love them and I have all of their releases ;however, I have not listened to them in several years.

14. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

This is all subject to change at a moment's notice, but I haven't listened to U2 or REM in ages though I own 95% of their catalogs. I haven't played a Springsteen CD in ages--I didn't even buy Broadway--and only listen to selective tracks on Spotify when I surf the web. That could change if his new album is any good.

Other artists who were very important to me in my younger years--Graham Parker and Joe Jackson to name two--I haven't listened or bought product from in decades though I respect both.

15. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

Peter Gabriel. Love his work but I got burned out.

rancher likes this.
  16. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

Jus
    Just out of curiosity, who do you still listen to?

couchguy, hi_watt and Crimson Witch like this.
  17. rancher

rancher Unmade Bed

agreed on PG ... there are so many artists that I respect and love that I never put on ... The Police, U2, The Who, Zep, Stones, Hendrix

I mean, I never play that stuff, not kidding, but I like and respect it all

18. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

that's an oxymoron...all the artists I listen to I love...none are left behind. ; )

Jackson and Vic_1957 like this.
  19. rancher

rancher Unmade Bed

Oh, there is so much stuff ... I'm sure that poster has his reasons

I could only start listing ... Islands, Beirut, Yo La Tengo, The Decemberists, Wilco, Okkervil River, Arcade Fire

20. Unknown Delight

Unknown Delight Alan Myers Jazz Heads Unite!

Queen.
    Hard to believe, since they are once again the hottest act as far as the current public awareness factor goes.
    Nothing like a movie to rekindle awarness and sell product.
    I was a huge fan back in the early 90s when 'Wayne's World' re-introduced them to U.S. audiences and collected up a large record collection which i still own.
    I did it all back then...conventions, live shows, fan art, traveled to the UK, did the musical, you name it.
    Even became quite friendly with Brian May.
    So despite all of that past 'involvement' with this band, these days my interest level is low.

It's strange, they are so 'contemporary' now with all the success of the 'Bohemian Rhapsody' film ( which I have still not seen ) and their albums being top sellers yet again, but I just don't have any interest these days.
    I have been lured away by exploring other types of music ( currently, jazz and DEVO ) but once in a while I am reminded of Queen.
    I then shake my head and wonder what happened....as I used to be a total 'mega fan'.
    I'm still a fan, but a very quiet one now.

-

21. robcar

robcar Forum Resident

Neil Young

Vic_1957, DTK and frightwigwam like this.
  22. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

Led Zep...

To be fair, I've more than just listened to them a lot, I learned to play every riff, and most of the guitar solos. I think I'm good for a while.

ianuaditis and Vic_1957 like this.
  23. Scott in DC

Scott in DC Forum Resident

Led Zeppelin, The Beatles and Neil Young. I love them dearly but I don't tend to play them much anymore.

Scott

frightwigwam and rancher like this.
  24. FaithMonkey

FaithMonkey Forum Resident

Michael Jackson

25. katieinthecoconut

katieinthecoconut Forum Resident

I don't think I have any answers for this. I have artists I used to put at the top of my loved list, but that fell as my tastes changed. I'd include Aqua and Scooter in this, because I liked both a lot as a child, but grew out of them. If I listen to either of those now it's for nostalgia or to be ironic at parties. The artists I still fully love that I've known for a long time still regularly chart on my most played list most years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.